• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shipping Bike- Sticker Shock

rttourer

I've used Federal Transport a number of times for east coast to west coast shipping. Hisorically, they've run from the mid-upper $700's (includes $15k insurance). Got my quote recently and the price for shipping and same insurance is $925. I realize in the grand scheme of things it's only another $150-175, I'm just not sure where I'm going to draw the line. Anyone have a good referral for shippers. I've used Haul Bikes before, but I worry about their timing. BMW dealer charges $85/day after holding the bike for 2 days(rightly so).

I used Motorcycle Shippers to ship a K1300 from Dallas to Boise. It came to about $700. Cheaper than jet fare to DFW, motels, gas, and I didn’t have a mind numbing ride on a bike that I would not have been able to fit on without aftermarket parts. The bike arrived, strapped to a pallet, early and without a mark on it. A very good deal.

However, check the tires when you get the bike. I think they might have lowered the tire pressure to fit the tires on the pallet.

Used haul Bikes this summer to ship from Phx to Boston. Cost was 700.00, with the military/LE discount, 650.00. Bike was photo'd, loaded, 3 weeks later delivered to destination, not a scratch on the bike.

Others I called wanted 8-1K for the same transport

I work in the steel industry and we ship a lot of loads. Shipping costs have increased considerably due to some of the new driver restriction laws that were put in place. Trucks only make money when they are moving and they have to be parked a lot more today than a couple of years ago. I guess it is the price we all pay for safer roads.

I work in the steel industry and we ship a lot of loads. Shipping costs have increased considerably due to some of the new driver restriction laws that were put in place. Trucks only make money when they are moving and they have to be parked a lot more today than a couple of years ago. I guess it is the price we all pay for safer roads.

....not only that, but add in the fact that there is a shortage of drivers nationwide.

TL,DR; don't use Haul Bikes.

I used Haul Bikes a few years ago and what a pain the @ss! They loved me right up until I signed the contract, then they didn't love me anymore. The communications after I signed the contract were horrible to non-existent.:banghead

They promised it would be delivered in three weeks. It took them two weeks just to pick it up in Louisiana and then they took it to their warehouse in Pennsylvania. I live in Colorado! Had they taken it to their Las Vega warehouse, I would have just flown out there and got it.

It then sat in Pennsylvania for a few weeks. I couldn't get my rep on the phone to answer any questions on when it would be delivered. I started to just go through the nice woman who answered the phones. They were unable to give me a delivery date. They kept saying it was up to the driver. The driver! I use to have my CDL and as a driver, we never made those decisions. Those were always made by a logistics manager. I cannot even imagine that those decisions are all up to the drivers.

Even the driver of the truck was a pain. He got lost. Trying to figure out where he was, I asked if he crossed the bridge. He said no, but couldn't tell me where he was. I told him to hold tight and I would find him. Yep, he had crossed the bridge and was sitting on the side of the road right next to the bridge.

I told him to follow me and that we'd go right up ahead at the stop light. I'm standing on the sideboard next to him so close that I could have heard him whisper, but he yells; "I'M NOT GOING THAT WAY! I'M GOING LEFT!" He didn't want to go right because of a 5 ton bridge, but as I explained to him, we'd then take another right, then a left, a left and finally another left to get him turned around. He yelled again; "I'M GOING LEFT". I said fine, go left. That'll take you downtown and I'll see you in about an hour after you get through there.

Not trusting me, he had to look it up on Google maps to see if he could indeed go right, then left, then left, then left to turn around. He finally agreed and we got to my house fine.

Overall, an extremely poor experience. It was unseasonable warm here in Colorado that year and I could have been riding my new bike, but no. Thanks Haul Bikes! Argh!

Sorry so long, but needed to get that off my chest. :thumb

Last edited:

I used Haul Bikes a few years ago and what a pain the @ss! They loved me right up until I signed the contract, then they didn't love me anymore. The communications after I signed the contract were horrible to non-existent.:banghead

They promised it would be delivered in three weeks. It took them two weeks just to pick it up in Louisiana and then they took it to their warehouse in Pennsylvania. I live in Colorado! Had they taken it to their Las Vega warehouse, I would have just flown out there and got it.

It then sat in Pennsylvania for a few weeks. I couldn't get my rep on the phone to answer any questions on when it would be delivered. I started to just go through the nice woman who answered the phones. They were unable to give me a delivery date. They kept saying it was up to the driver. The driver! I use to have my CDL and as a driver, we never made those decisions. Those were always made by a logistics manager. I cannot even imagine that those decisions are all up to the drivers.

Even the driver of the truck was a pain. He got lost. Trying to figure out where he was, I asked if he crossed the bridge. He said no, but couldn't tell me where he was. I told him to hold tight and I would find him. Yep, he had crossed the bridge and was sitting on the side of the road right next to the bridge.

I told him to follow me and that we'd go right up ahead at the stop light. I'm standing on the sideboard next to him so close that I could have heard him whisper, but he yells; "I'M NOT GOING THAT WAY! I'M GOING LEFT!" He didn't want to go right because of a 5 ton bridge, but as I explained to him, we'd then take another right, then a left, a left and finally another left to get him turned around. He yelled again; "I'M GOING LEFT". I said fine, go left. That'll take you downtown and I'll see you in about an hour after you get through there.

Not trusting me, he had to look it up on Google maps to see if he could indeed go right, then left, then left, then left to turn around. He finally agreed and we got to my house fine.

Overall, an extremely poor experience. It was unseasonable warm here in Colorado that year and I could have been riding my new bike, but no. Thanks Haul Bikes! Argh!

Sorry so long, but needed to get that off my chest. :thumb

Used HB this summer to ship the GT to the east coast from Az. The contract gave me a delivery by date. The stated might be 2 or 3 weeks, but the bike would be delivered per contract by the deliver by date. It was delivered 3 days before delivery by date. Bike suffered no damage, and like yours, mine went to Las Vegas and sat for nearly 2 weeks before the truck headed east.

I called twice in that time, each time the lady looked up the contract and kept me appraised of where the bike was. Brother took delivery of his new GT and checked it with a fine tooth chrome for any scratches, not one. Excellent service and they were 100-150.00 cheaper than the other 4 transporters I reached out to.

Used HB this summer to ship the GT to the east coast from Az. The contract gave me a delivery by date. The stated might be 2 or 3 weeks, but the bike would be delivered per contract by the deliver by date. It was delivered 3 days before delivery by date. Bike suffered no damage, and like yours, mine went to Las Vegas and sat for nearly 2 weeks before the truck headed east.

I called twice in that time, each time the lady looked up the contract and kept me appraised of where the bike was. Brother took delivery of his new GT and checked it with a fine tooth chrome for any scratches, not one. Excellent service and they were 100-150.00 cheaper than the other 4 transporters I reached out to.

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. They've got less than 2 stars on the Better Business Bureau and only 3 on Yelp, so I guess do your homework.

I used Haul Bikes a few years ago and what a pain the @ss! They loved me right up until I signed the contract, then they didn't love me anymore.

Had a wonderful experience w/ HaulBikes. I had my '16 RT transported from Paradise CA to Arvada CO in the middle of winter 2019 for $560 inc insurance. They were forthright with updates as to arrival window, the bike arrived unscathed and on the projected date, and I was blessed w/ a clear street near my home on Feb 21st--I was really sweating the possibility of unloading onto snow but all was well. If you're not in a hurry, i.e. can live w/ a longer arrival window, you can get decent pricing from HB.

Have used Federal Motorcycle Shippers a few times for left coast to right, under $700 including this past summer. Yes, I drop off and pick up at their warehouses, which saves me a little. They also sport an AMA discount and a first responder discount.

I've inquired about shipping via Haul Bikes, but they refuse to guarantee a delivery date, no matter how much time you give them. This could ruin your vacation and was definitely a deal breaker for me no matter how much savings (if any).

If you're just shipping a bike and don't care when it arrives, you could be fine.

I've inquired about shipping via Haul Bikes, but they refuse to guarantee a delivery date, no matter how much time you give them.

If you're just shipping a bike and don't care when it arrives, you could be fine.

This I think is how they undercut pricing from other shippers perhaps. $560 inc insurance from Paradise CA to Arvada CO in the dead of winter. Arrived within a day of projected.

This I think is how they undercut pricing from other shippers perhaps. $560 inc insurance from Paradise CA to Arvada CO in the dead of winter. Arrived within a day of projected.

Mesa Az to Plymouth, Ma. 600.00 even after the 50.00 discount for military/police.

When I inquired about shipping a bike from Wisconsin to my location, Haul Bikes gave the same rate as nearly coast to coast my GT cost me. :thumb

My two cents

Needing to ship my new to me 2017 R1200RT from Santa Barbara to San Antonio. Have used Keyboard twice before and really like their service. Quote was $750. They use pallets. Problem is they do LA but can't go to Santa Barbara. Intercity quote $895. They list Jay Leno as a client. AA Motorcycle quote $817, 7k insurance and use pallets. Federal quote $880, 10k insurance zero deductible. Motorcycle Shippers quote $749 without discount, 7k insurance. $50 discount as a member of bmwmoa. Haul Bikes quote $599, 15k insurance $500 deductible, strap down.
I like the Haul bike price, but lots of complaints with pickup and delivery times/dates not meeting what was quoted. Seems to me that their problem is with the transfer locations. In my case its a layover at Las Vegas and Oklahoma. Not to keen on those extra strap downs and reloads. Since I'm still a working stiff and trying to keep the good deal I got on this bike a good deal, I'll spend the extra $100 and go with Motorcycle Shippers plus they make a point about shipping BMW's.

Needing to ship my new to me 2017 R1200RT from Santa Barbara to San Antonio. Have used Keyboard twice before and really like their service. Quote was $750. They use pallets. Problem is they do LA but can't go to Santa Barbara. Intercity quote $895. They list Jay Leno as a client. AA Motorcycle quote $817, 7k insurance and use pallets. Federal quote $880, 10k insurance zero deductible. Motorcycle Shippers quote $749 without discount, 7k insurance. $50 discount as a member of bmwmoa. Haul Bikes quote $599, 15k insurance $500 deductible, strap down.
I like the Haul bike price, but lots of complaints with pickup and delivery times/dates not meeting what was quoted. Seems to me that their problem is with the transfer locations. In my case its a layover at Las Vegas and Oklahoma. Not to keen on those extra strap downs and reloads. Since I'm still a working stiff and trying to keep the good deal I got on this bike a good deal, I'll spend the extra $100 and go with Motorcycle Shippers plus they make a point about shipping BMW's.

Welcome to the forum!
While you probably haven’t received your anonymous book yet, there may be a member that can help facilitate moving the bike to a better location. Even better, oversee the loading process.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Gary
PS, if you haven’t received your A-book yet, a call to the office can speed it up.

Back