• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue ridge parkway??

taunton64

Howdy Gang. I've always went west on my yearly trips. This year due to time issues with my son we're gonna do the BR parkway. Yep, never been on it and to be honest not really that excited about it. I'm use to the rocky mountains and the alpine type stuff. I'm sure its nice and I'll enjoy the time with my son who's in the Marines.... (that's why we have a time issue). We're gonna meet In shenandoah NP go south to the Great smoky mountain NP. From this point on is the question. The Corp request his presents on base. Me? I've got a whole nother week to play. technically I could ride my butt off and make the rocky's for a day or two and then make it back to michigan. Just not sure if I want to turn this into a "Iron Butt" type ride. Here,]s the question. What the heck is there to do on the East side of the county?........ and go!

Hi Taunton - You may find the Shenandoah NP and BRP combination a bit calm. The speed-limit in the Shenandoah NP is 35 mph, and on the BRP it's 45 mph. Both are very pleasant rides and the slower speeds give you some opportunity to look around some. The radius of the curves in the BRP are substantially uniform, so that you'll find yourself following much the same line through them.

Traffic enforcement on the BRP is spotty, but the US Park Rangers do hand out speeding tickets which are Federal in nature. Traffic enforcement is heaviest in VA near Roanoke where the BRP is used by commuters. Once you get to the southern end of the BRP is when the fun begins. You might look at a map of western NC and eastern TN and look for the "Tail of the Dragon" (a section of US129), & the Cherohala Skyway. Here's a link to a list of other roads you might consider in that area: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=109

I'm sure you'll hear from others in great detail. Have fun!

Last edited:
Hi Taunton!

There are a great number of options available from the south end of the BRP:

- from the south end of the BRP, turn north and travel across the GSMNP
- at GSMNP Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area, turn north to Wears Valley and travel the Foothills Parkway
- at the south end of the Foothills Parkway, turn left and ride the Tail of the Dragon to Robbinsville
- at Robbinsville, turn west and take the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains

From there, lots of great options! This area has some tremendous riding possibilities!

IMG_0012.jpg

I've done The Parkway about 10 times. At a steady speed of about 65mph its loads of fun. Corners are predictable and well engineered. No trucks or trailers. No stop signs or side roads. No gravel. The road is a hoot! Just make sure your tires are in good condition when you start. Yes, you may get a ticket from the park police but you could consider it the price of admission like you would if you were going to a motorcycle theme park.

Have a great ride!

Parkway

Howdy Gang. I've always went west on my yearly trips. This year due to time issues with my son we're gonna do the BR parkway. Yep, never been on it and to be honest not really that excited about it. I'm use to the rocky mountains and the alpine type stuff. I'm sure its nice and I'll enjoy the time with my son who's in the Marines.... (that's why we have a time issue). We're gonna meet In shenandoah NP go south to the Great smoky mountain NP. From this point on is the question. The Corp request his presents on base. Me? I've got a whole nother week to play. technically I could ride my butt off and make the rocky's for a day or two and then make it back to michigan. Just not sure if I want to turn this into a "Iron Butt" type ride. Here,]s the question. What the heck is there to do on the East side of the county?........ and go!

Its an amazing and beautiful road and I get major excited every time I get a chance to drive it. This fall my wife and I are planning on driving it in our Convertible.
Can't think of a comparable 470 mile stretch anywhere out west that's devoid of commercial traffic, stop signs, traffic lights, commercial enterprises. Add to that all of the amazing overlook's, tunnels and interesting stops along the way.
Mabry Mill
Moses Cone home

The Parkway follows the highest points of the Appalachian's, and while not matching the elevation of the west, the highest point near Mt. Mitchell is still over 6,000 feet.

The whole 470 miles is landscaped with beautiful grass as median's, with old stand's of rhododendron and azalea's that stretch for miles and miles.
You should be excited! :)

If you can make a route to Shenandoah National Park, try to include West Virginia. Specifically try to hit Route 250 or 33 over the mountains into Virginia. Or if coming in on a more northerly trajection, try to hit Route 42/93 south of Mt. Storm down to Scherr.

If you get near the Asheville/Cherokee/Bryson City area you will be in motorcycle road Mecca. Do take Highway 28 south off 74 west of Bryson City. If you venture toward Deals Gap to ride the Dragon, then head toward Robbinsville and ride the Cherohola Skyway.

The West is different, but not better in my opinion. You have more beautiful vistas to see out west, and that is a great thing. But for actual riding curvy roads, the East has it beat hands down.

Come pay us a visit. You may find yourself liking the area! :wave BTW, thank you to your son for his service! :thumb

Hi Taunton!

There are a great number of options available from the south end of the BRP:

- from the south end of the BRP, turn north and travel across the GSMNP
- at GSMNP Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area, turn north to Wears Valley and travel the Foothills Parkway
- at the south end of the Foothills Parkway, turn left and ride the Tail of the Dragon to Robbinsville
- at Robbinsville, turn west and take the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains

From there, lots of great options! This area has some tremendous riding possibilities!

View attachment 74362
Just as an FYI, they have opened the "Missing Link" section of the Foothills Parkway. More technical than the other end towards US 129. It starts (or stops ) in Wears Vally and connects to the other section at HWY 321 in Walland,TN. It's so much nicer than the older section with new, smooth pavement. If you then go to the Cherohalla Skyway to Tellico Plains, you could then head down 68 to Georgia. At Copperhill you could either take 64 over by the Ocoee
white water center. I prefer 68 to 60 in Georgia. Then down to Suches,GA and Two Wheels Only resort. Lots of nice twists on that road and you can take that all the way to Dahlonega, GA. Lots of great roads in that area.

Back