Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Installing a tank ring and mating mount to a GS tank bag?

  1. #1

    Installing a tank ring and mating mount to a GS tank bag?

    Looking to use my BMW tank bag without using the standard straps. I'm missing the front strapping to fit it to the bike so thinking of going with those tank rings and drilling holes in the bag for the mating ring.

    Suggestions? Part numbers so I get this right the first time? I think this is probably the best solution at this point unless someone can direct me to the front mounting hardware sold separately that's missing on the bag I bought off another bike site. It's got the rear mounting straps but I'm still thinking the ring system would be more stable. Thoughts?

    It's a 2012 r1200 GS.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  2. #2
    Are we there yet? tonyfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAT - LAX
    Posts
    516
    If it is a BMW bag, try this. Look at diagram 61 and 62 - LINK. Twisted Throttle sells tank ring adapters.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    If it is a BMW bag, try this. Look at diagram 61 and 62 - LINK. Twisted Throttle sells tank ring adapters.
    Thanks, I did check the link, saw nothing on tank or bag rings. I might be dense, any chance you can link to the actual rings on that site?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  4. #4
    Are we there yet? tonyfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAT - LAX
    Posts
    516
    Tank ring for 2012 R1200GS - LINK

    Tank bag bottom - LINK

    BMW part - PDF
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

  5. #5
    Registered User twistedthrottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Exeter, RI (Route 3)
    Posts
    53

    Installing Quick-Lock Mount

    It looks like you want to install a QUICK-LOCK mount to an existing bag. I thought I would show you the instructions that come with the mount--it's pretty easy to do. This is a PDF version of the instructions:

    SW Motech Quick-Lock Replacement Ring Installation

    You can purchase the replacement top ring--SW Motech Non-Electric Quick-Lock Replacement Ring

    ...and the gas cap ring...

    SW Motech Quick-Lock Gas Cap Ring R1200GS

    After install, attaching and detaching is super easy...

    Screenshot_2019-05-30 SW-MOTECH EVO Daypack QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag 5-9L TwistedThrottle com.png

    Let me know if you have any questions!

    The Twisted Team
    www.TwistedThrottle.com
    TwistedThrottle.com: the official North American distributor of
    SW-MOTECH, DENALI, R&G, Barkbusters, DrySpec, MRA, Kaoko and more!
    Call us at 855-255-5550

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
    It looks like you want to install a QUICK-LOCK mount to an existing bag. I thought I would show you the instructions that come with the mount--it's pretty easy to do. This is a PDF version of the instructions:

    SW Motech Quick-Lock Replacement Ring Installation

    You can purchase the replacement top ring--SW Motech Non-Electric Quick-Lock Replacement Ring

    ...and the gas cap ring...

    SW Motech Quick-Lock Gas Cap Ring R1200GS

    After install, attaching and detaching is super easy...

    Screenshot_2019-05-30 SW-MOTECH EVO Daypack QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag 5-9L TwistedThrottle com.png

    Let me know if you have any questions!

    The Twisted Team
    www.TwistedThrottle.com
    Thank you sir. Suggestions/instructions for attaching the bag mount to the bag for the mating to take place?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  7. #7
    Are we there yet? tonyfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAT - LAX
    Posts
    516
    Installation instructions for bag side - LINK
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

  8. #8
    Registered User twistedthrottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Exeter, RI (Route 3)
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Thank you sir. Suggestions/instructions for attaching the bag mount to the bag for the mating to take place?
    The first link in that message takes you to the full instructions for mounting the replacement ring to the bag.

    Click on the link:
    SW Motech Quick-Lock Replacement Ring Installation


    You'll see, it is pretty simple to do. Good luck!
    TwistedThrottle.com: the official North American distributor of
    SW-MOTECH, DENALI, R&G, Barkbusters, DrySpec, MRA, Kaoko and more!
    Call us at 855-255-5550

  9. #9
    Thanks for the link and instructions
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Similar Threads

  1. R1200R LC - Installing Magnetic Tank Bag
    By PETERMSCHWARZ in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. R1200RT 2011 tank bag gascap ring question
    By klumbsh1 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 06:04 PM
  5. Installing rubber knee pads on gas tank
    By Bullett in forum Vintage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •