• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Airhead Owner - Needs Help with Mikuni Carbs

dretek

Fellow airheads, I am a new proud owner of a 1982 R65. This is my first motorcycle so I am not entirely sure what I am doing. I live in the Manassas, VA area. I got an aerospace engineering degree and have no idea how engines work, so here I am. Besides this project, my free time is focused towards skateboarding and rock climbing. Im interested in meeting other airheads so let me know!

Here is a picture of the bike:
d3p2Nk4.jpg

A quick description (from seller):
16000 Miles. Features upgraded Marzocchi shocks, beefy K100 Forks, 34mm Vikuni VM Carbs. Bike has been serviced including: top end refresh, valve adjustment, final drive service, carb sync, etc. (but I am assuming none of these have been done).

I got this bike from a little shop in DC. Owner said it has been sitting for a long time.

Current things I have done:
Valve clearances - these were completely closed on the right side
Check spark plug arcs
Empty and fill fuel system - there was leftover fuel
Carb clean
Here is where I'm at right now:

The bike is able to start with Enrichment: ON.
Idle backed out: 1.5
Air mixture screw out: 1.5

However, I need to give it some throttle and rev to about 2-3k rpms to keep it alive.

If you notice in the video, the left side is popping and there is light coming from the intake side. What do you think is causing this?

You can see the light coming from the intake here. Is this the arc from the spark plug (misfire) or actual combustion?

UNAJdRn.png

Attachments

• UNAJdRn.png
    UNAJdRn.png
    4 MB · Views: 98
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new bike! Now the learning begins. Where are you located? Filling in your profile will help people see where you are and find some local assistance.

You said carbs clean... what does that mean? My first thought is that the carbs need to be overhauled and jets, settings verified.

What are the blue things? Semi clear tubes? Seems like you're getting some upstream ignition...not normal. Maybe it's so rich, it's lighting off. Could be spark plug cap arcing.

You may want to do a Google search on Mikuni conversions for BMW R65. If you can find a vendor who sells kits, they may have information on jetting and starting points for adjustments. I took a look and noticed references of Mikuni 34MM conversions for R100s. It's possible that 34mm is a bit large for a R65.

I'll throw out this toss up! Is it possible that the left cylinder is pre-igniting and the flames are shooting out the open intake valve. Discuss! :)

If valves are adjusted correctly, it looks like your timing is off. It may be too far advanced.

I would go for low hanging fruit first. Once you have a manual and can identify the pilot jets, pull and clean both. You can usually get at them by loosening the clamps that hold the carbs in place and pivoting them a bit so you can see the jets once you remove the float bowls. Most manuals say never poke a wire through the pilot jet hole. After soaking them in carb cleaner, I'd poke a wire through the hole; just make sure it's small enough and copper and don't force it.

I put a Mikuni carb on a DR350 and often had a similar problem.

Back