• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dumped my 2018 1200 GSA for 1st time

steve22629

Got back from a great weekend of riding in the NC mountains. When I got back to my house outside Boone while parking my bike over it went. I have a gravel parking area with a incline. I turned the bike off as soon as I could roll over. Have lifted heavy bikes before and know the procedure, but because of the gravel and incline I could not get it lifted far enough to stand it up. After many attempts I decided to use a tractor and straps. That worked like a charm, should have done it first. The end result was the bike was on its side for about half an hour.few scratches on engine guards and saddlebag, but nothing bent or broken. My question is there anything I need to be concerned about. I have not ridden it since I happened but I started and moved it today and it smoked pretty good.
Any advice other than ride it for awhile to see if the smoke clears up.

Thanks

All bikes seem to take a “nap” at some time. There is a thread around here on this phenomenon :)
I think you will be fine......after a short ride, check the oil and ride on.
OM

Fuel leaking

I have dropped mine about 5 times now, all at very low speed, no damage, except minor scratches to protection top and bottom bars. However, once when down I noticed that I got a fuel leak if I had much gas in the tank. Curious, I took the fuel cap off (e.g., disassembled it) the tank and observed that the BMW design of the interface between the cap and tank and found it wanting, just an O-ring that can leak when tipped over. So, if you bike tips over and you smell some gas you might wait 20 minutes for the leaked fuel to evaporate before motoring away. That is also a reason you should consider not filling up to the tippy top unless you are going to ride right away and really need that extra bit of fuel.

Back