Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclist Visibility

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    It is hard to imagine an auto accident that is not the result of human error.
    That's not very helpful - we're trying to figure out the "why" of these errors.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I think the why is obvious. People are distracted, not all from cell phone use, in a hurry and over estimate their driving abilities. I think we notice things important to ourselves. I notice lights and movement, some notice colors. Thus we utilize methods we think works better. The best avoidance is being alert and ready to act at all times. People pull out in front of my F-450 all the time. How did they not see that truck? Their mind was not on the issue at hand. I don't think we will ever solve that problem. I was in a state recently, can't remember which one, that had the big electronic signs over the road. The sign said "No cell no. Put the phone down". I noticed many folks driving under the signs talking or using their phones. I think the punishment for this should be severe. Loss of license for a month first infraction, a year second infraction and permanent loss if driving privileges for the third offense. Law enforcement should be driving around using their eyes. However they spend too much time sitting on the side of the road trying to get speeders. Their eyes are their most important piece of equipment. They also should drive as an example. Use turn signal, slow on caution lights and not run red lights. I find the police in my area are some of the worst drivers and then want to penalize use for speeding. Sorry about the rant but in my mind distracted drivers are much more dangerous than speeders.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    That's not very helpful - we're trying to figure out the "why" of these errors.

The why, as bdfbeemer says, is obvious.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

The why, as bdfbeemer says, is obvious.
    It's certainly not obvious that blocked vision is a huge factor in serious accidents.

And if low conspicuity is such an important factor, then why do most motorcyclists wear black from head to toe? Shouldn't that also be obvious?
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

In 63% of accidents what you were wearing didn't make any difference what does it matter. I don't think I can tell if another motorist vision is blocked. That person is responsible not to take action if they can't see. Still a human error. Making bad choices in dangerous situations. I may have to deal with the action but it would hard to foresee it.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

It is hard to imagine an auto accident that is not the result of human error.
    Mechanical failurE (yeah, ultimately maybe the result of human error but also technically not the “human error” we might envision)

And if low conspicuity is such an important factor, then why do most motorcyclists wear black from head to toe? Shouldn't that also be obvious?

form before function.
    style before safety.

you would think at least folks would want a lighter color because black is so frickin' hot in the sun...but no...perceived style first.

gear manufacturers are no help. most of the gear that is available to buy is.......BLACK. argh.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

I went with Hi Viz yellow gear. Jackets and Helite turtle 2 airbag vest; white helmet that's striped in 3m reflective tape, running lights; skeen aux brake lights that flash; reflective material on the LR bags front and rear.

It may not help, but it sure doesn't hurt to be more visible on the road. Forethought goes a long way, reducing potential risk is never a negative, whether it helps in any given situation or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

More from the MAIDS study:

The clothing worn by the PTW rider was photographed and evaluated for each MAIDS case. A determination was made by the investigator as to whether or not this clothing contributed to the conspicuity of the PTW and the PTW riders. This evaluation was purely subjective on the part of the investigator. Table 8.13 indicates that in 65.3% of all cases, the clothing made no contribution to the conspicuity of the rider or the PTW. There were very few cases found in which the bright clothing of the PTW rider enhanced the PTW’s overall conspicuity (46 cases).There were more cases in which the use of dark clothing decreased the conspicuity of the rider and the PTW (120 cases).

Harry
    Am I missing something here? If one type of clothing is LESS conspicuous, then wouldn’t the opposite clothing have to be MORE conspicuous. If something is less than something else, then the other is more!!?! (And if clothing is not a conspicuosity factor then one can’t be more or less than the other.
    Situation probably has a lot to do with this too; lights may be a major factor in one situation while clothing may be important in another, and both may be helpful in a third.

2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

I find that I notice lights on bikes more than I do colour of riding gear. More specifically, I don't think I notice hi-viz gear any more than I notice any other colour, except perhaps for black.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    I find that I notice lights on bikes more than I do colour of riding gear.
    Yep.
    Name:  29647336274b4c8914a478348fa4df83.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  199.8 KB

Thats it, forget the Aerostich I'm going to go full Nudie!

Name:  inspiration.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  1.02 MB

Bill

From a racecar driving school chalkboard; An accident is a meteor hitting a car, everything else involves an error.
    Last edited by tanker4me; 06-07-2019 at 04:56 AM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

I gotta say that the Hi-Viz jacket does get noticed. I had several cars pull over like I was the police for my red R1200R with the Photon Blasters and the Clearwater lights. I originally thought it was just the lights. The I had the same thing happen when I was riding my KTM390. If US based emergency personnel and LEOs wore fluorescent yellow like they do in many European countries, this would make sense, but so far the only explanation I can come up with is that people just think my jacket is ugly and will let me by so they don't have to look at it.

I still like this vest from the UK:

Name:  Polite Vest.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  147.3 KB
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    Yep.
    Name:  29647336274b4c8914a478348fa4df83.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  199.8 KB

Thats it, forget the Aerostich I'm going to go full Nudie!

Name:  inspiration.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  1.02 MB

Bill

From a racecar driving school chalkboard; An accident is a meteor hitting a car, everything else involves an error.
    Is that the new Aerostich suit?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Is that the new Aerostich suit?
    No...it's the new AeroSMITH suit.