• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NGK Spark Plug Caps

daz

1967 R60/2. I notice NGK spark plug caps and wires on the new to me R60/2. Aren't the caps supposed to be zero resistance on this bike? Does NGK make zero resistance wires and caps?

Also: There is no exhaust hanger on the exhaust. Only the bolt in the rear. Should there be a hanger from the foot peg bolt? Should there be a clamp between the exhaust and the muffler?

Thanks.

Likely the plug you have is a B8HS (1/2" reach) or the 3/4" reach plug if you have the LK heads. This should be a non-resistor plug. NGK does make non-resistor caps:

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20083

I'm sure there are others. The wire should be zero resistance or near zero as I suspect there are some ohms for any length of wire...in this case the wire length is short. You can check your situation by pulling the front engine cover (remove battery ground first) and putting an ohm meter between the inside of the cap and where the wire ends at the connector on the ignition coil.

As for the exhaust hanger, yes I think there should be one at the engine mount bolt...there are hangers on my R69S. This image:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0223-USA-05-1967-T60-BMW-R60_2&diagId=18_0415

suggests hangers #9 or #14 although they don't appear in the table with part numbers. Suggests they're not included for that model. I checked Vech's online store and he doesn't have exhaust hangers listed for the /2 bikes. He lists them up to the R68 but not beyond. So maybe they aren't used for the /2...but as I said, my R69S has them.

I ordered a pair similar to 9. I think the difference between 9 and fourteen is the suspension part emanates from the 12 o'clock position on 9 and from the 9 o'clock position on 14.
Thanks again.

Plug caps:
Talked to a NGK Technician sometime in ‘18. I bought these per his recommendation for a ‘57 R60.

90 deg
0 Ohm

Worked Fine.

Charlie

Last edited:
Shoot! It turns out it has LBo5F NGK caps. 5000 ohm caps.

So, obviously they need changed out. But do you think they caused any damage? Or did they just weaken the spark. To be honest I don't know the reason for resistor caps.

Resistor caps came around in order to suppress the noise created in nearby radios...not that it bothered the bike too much but it was somewhat annoying. With the advent of the newer/sensitive ignition systems, especially by the time the /6 came around and especially the 1981+ models, the resistance went from a nominal 1000 to 5000 ohms. It was felt that coils, etc., could be affected the radiation created from the spark plugs.

Too much resistance can be a bad thing. It takes more oomph for the spark energy to make it to the plug. So, a marginally tuned engine could be problematic when starting, running, etc.

Snowbum has a section on resistor caps on this page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/sparkplugs.htm

Back