• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Musings on vacuum leaks

stevenrankin

How many places in an airhead intake system produce vacuum leaks?

This is a question I have yet to answer and the total is five places so far.

Let me give you the places and see if you have had the same thing happen.

One, the plugs for the air injection system removal in the head. backed out or got loose.

Two, the intake metal tube in one head (where the carb mounts with a rubber tube). Forgive the technical jargon, LOL

Three, the plugs for the air injection removal into the bottoms of the carbs.

Four, the rubber tube holing the carb to the head clamps were loose on one side (the opposite side of the loose metal tube)

Five, the side of the carb, looks like a plug in the side from the factory.

Oh well, with 190000 miles on them I guess things come loose. At least they are easily fixable.

It is surprising how small a leak can make such a difference in idle. St.

What about a leak in the plug on the dome top of the carb? While it doesn't affect the air mixture by direct injection into the flow, it prevents the slide from operating correctly, thus changing the air-fuel mixture as it goes through the carb venture.

Opps! I forgot that one

Opps! I forgot about the plug on top!

That makes six.

Thanks for reminding me of it. LOL. St.

So far

So far, I have found and repaired all the leaks mentioned here except the throttle shaft O rings. Put new O rings in and they still leak.

Perhaps it is time for a newer set of carbs. LOL. St.

I swapped out carbs from a bike with less mileage and my bike runs so much better. At least now I know the problems are with the carbs.

I don't want to give the newer carbs back! LOL.

Final solution

Well, I like it that two people mentioned throtle shaft o rings.

I had replaced them however for some reason, there is still a leak at the shaft.

Swapped out carbs from another bike, runs like new.

Bought two carbs from Roland Robilie. Having them rebuilt (All the new bits from the malfunctioning carbs going to the replacements) and crossing my fingers

Other than perhaps oversize o rings, I don't know how else to seal the shaft.

I guess at 190000 miles they are worn out. St.

Test

Engine running after a long ride. Rough idle.

Spray with carb cleaner, engine idle smooths out, carb cleaner evaprates is sucked in, idle gets rough.

Spray with water, idle smooths out.

Simple fast and works. St.

How many places in an airhead intake system produce vacuum leaks?

This is a question I have yet to answer and the total is five places so far.

Let me give you the places and see if you have had the same thing happen.

One, the plugs for the air injection system removal in the head. backed out or got loose.

This is not a vacuum leak.

A vacuum leak is by definition something in the intake tract of an engine and occurs on the intake stroke ... which is what creates vacuum. A carb or fuel injection meters the air being taken in and provides the proper amount of fuel ... a vacuum leak is unmetered air.

What you've described is simply a hole in the exhaust system, no different than a hole in a header or muffler.

Last edited:
Three, the plugs for the air injection removal into the bottoms of the carbs.

This is not a vacuum leak either ... it's the same thing as not having a filter in your air box.

A vacuum leak by definition only occurs *between* the carburetor and the intake valve.

Therefore, it's only created by carburetor components or intake manifold components.

PS: you forgot the water drain in the bottom of the airbox ... it has to be there and remain flexible enough to close under vacuum.

I am sorry

I am sorry, I really do not understand the last post? Have you not been reading my posts? I am not talking about exhaust leaks or airboxes.

I am talking about something that sucked in carb cleaner and ran smoother. ON THE AIR INTAKE Side.

The plug in the head for the air injection system was loose, it sucked in carb cleaner and ran smoother. How can this be an exhaust leak? Exhaust is out intake is in.

Perhaps vacuum leak is the wrong term, suction leak maybe?

All this is happening with carbs and intake, not exhaust. St.

Last edited:
Back