• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Connected app with TFT display, navigation without downloading maps?

seezur

I just bought a 2019 F750GS and I love the bike. It’s my first BMW motorcycle. Everything has been great, and the Connected app navigation works pretty damn well.

​My issue is that I can't seem to input a destination unless I have that particular state's map downloaded. For example I was trying to use the app in PA, and I had to download the ~300mb PA map, otherwise I couldn't search (e.g. “Philadelphia”) or put in an exact address (e.g. 123 boulevard Philadelphia, PA). Once I downloaded the map, it worked fine.

​My understanding from the limited literature and videos is that the Connected app navigation was meant to work via data/online with the option to download maps if there might be a chance of losing signal. I emailed BMW support and while they didn’t answer my question at all they did say “we recommend you download the maps in case you lose your connection and to prevent data and roaming charges”.

​I don't have 10gbs (roughly the size of all the US) and would prefer to be able to access any map on the fly without having to micromanage them before going on a trip.

​Anyone have any experience with this, and is there something I'm missing? I’ve looked all through the app and can’t figure it out.

Trying to figure out the Connected App

Did you ever get any answers regarding the need to download maps? I'm new to the TFT and there is a lot about the Connected App that I don't understand. If I download the maps (not all, but 2 or 3 states worth) will I be able to nav without cell coverage? :scratch

I live in Indiana...have my phone downloaded with Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois. It is easy to delete and add necessary states should I have a particular trip planned.

The “Connected” app frequently fails to connect to the TFT display, and even when it does it is not very useful as a navigation aid. The TFT is a great unit, but BMW should have simply licensed Car Play from Apple and Google instead of trying to do their own development. I’ve decoupled my phone from the TFT and run music and nav through the Nav VI, which itself is not nearly as reliable as the Garmin 590LM I use on my other bikes. IMHO the Connected app is a fail.

Best,
DeVern

Phone in sleep mode with Connected App

My problem is that when my phone is in my pocket I can select a route from the history but I can't start the route on the TFT. My phone is obviously connected to the TFT while it is in sleep mode. If I dig my phone out and un-sleep it then the route will start. Is this how it is support to work? I am finding the Connected App useful but I wish it worked better :violin .
Samsung S6 phone.

This is why I continue to use my Nav VI. I can use BaseCamp to lay out routes and whether or not I have cell connections or enough battery is irrelevant.

I need to cycle back to this thread with updated input. I had been terribly disappointed with performance of the TFT and the Connected app, but much of that disappointment has been resolved. Turns out my TFT (2018 R1200GS) had never received a firmware update and was still on the original firmware. I spoke with my dealer’s service department and outlined the issues I’d been having with the TFT, and they scheduled an appointment for firmware updates on all the modules on the bike. Those updates were done as warranty work. I also found here in the forums a link to a good YouTube video on setting up the TFT with headset, phone, and Nav VI. That video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPoILCj-aU

The video did a great job of explaining all the moving parts in getting the TFT, headset, phone, and Nav VI to work together. After watching the video I went back through and snagged some screenshots and put together a crib sheet packet I could stash on the bike, then worked through the sheets to link up everything. I’m happy to report that the TFT firmware updates and procedural changes in linking everything have resolved the majority of issues I’d been having. What I have working now is:

Sena 20s paired with a TFT and Nav VI
iPhone 6s paired with TFT and Nav VI (to work acceptably need 6s or newer in iPhone, not sure on Android)
Sena 20s intercom paired to second 20s

And it all works! I control music and phone calls via TFT, and GPS turn indicators from Connected app appear in the TFT. I get spoken GPS instructions from the Nav VI, and weather/traffic updates appear on the Nav VI. Things are still a bit slower to connect than I like, but I can jump on, turn on the 20s then turn on the bike and in 30-40 seconds the music is playing and the Nav VI is ready to give the first instruction when the bike starts moving. I do navigation as recommended in the video—Nav VI for routes, Connected app for finding a single point like food or lodging without disrupting the Nav VI route.

BMW and Garmin still have room for improvement in their respective components and I hope they continue to do so. I was pretty negative in my earlier post this thread, but after firmware updates I’d judge it all a workable system worth continuing development. Now if only the rider would reach the point of not needing the crib sheets stashed in the pannier lid... :doh

Best,
DeVern

Sena SMH10 connect to TFT display with Nav V

Question can I pair my Sena SHM10 to my 2019 f850 gs have updated Sena and Nav V but seems there is a conflict on TFT screen
Wants headset but then navV won't work .Do I have to update to a newer headset,thanks Bruce

Back