• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ducati Top Case

pockomoth

I’ve put off furnishing my ‘15 R1200RT with an OEM top case, because I already had one of those BMW gray soft cases, but I’m going on a long trip and could use (notice did not say need) more storage. I can get a Givi top case mount and put a Monokey top case on the bike, but it’s seriously Ducati red and I don’t know, it just looks weird. Who thinks I should bite the bullet and get the OEM, or who is jake with a serious jolt of Ducati red + badge on a Callisto Grey RT?

Plastidip paint

Why not try some Plasti dip paint? You can color the old trunk any color the stuff comes in for cheap. When you are done, just peel it off and you are back to original. Then you will know without spending an arm and a leg to have it repainted.

If It Works

If it works use it, if it’s Duc red and catches the eye that’s good much safer.

3E742F89-288C-41A5-A631-13E8614FD3DA.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken you can remove the painted portion of the case. Vinyl wrap, repaint to match the bike or, just leave it off. The top case was probably on a ST Ducati; they are hard to come by. You could always list it on the ducati ms site and see what the interest might be.
Nothing wrong with adding a little contrast color to the German grey. YMMV :wave

Another way to go is this...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mpo/d/brentwood-bmw-rear-trunk-rear-bag/6904062136.html

00i0i_25Z1cS4EnTw_600x450.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. The milk crate is my favorite solution:). I have been looking for a used one, the one from CL is for a 2005-2013 model, won’t fit mine. As for the repainting, the top case belongs on my ST4S, which used to be a touring bike for me, but my back can’t do it anymore, so now it’s my day ride bike. Wouldn’t want to take it too far from stock, so repainting-no, plastic dip-no, but a vinyl wrap maybe. How to hide the Ducati badge would be a project. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Thanks for the feedback. The milk crate is my favorite solution:). I have been looking for a used one, the one from CL is for a 2005-2013 model, won’t fit mine. As for the repainting, the top case belongs on my ST4S, which used to be a touring bike for me, but my back can’t do it anymore, so now it’s my day ride bike. Wouldn’t want to take it too far from stock, so repainting-no, plastic dip-no, but a vinyl wrap maybe. How to hide the Ducati badge would be a project. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Pretty sure the older top cases will fit the newer RTs. I blew my bank account and bought the fully loaded case for my 2018 RT, but when I was shopping for a case everything I saw said the earlier cases will fit the newer RT's rack.

There were a few top cases right here on marketplace.

Back