• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anti Gravity XP-3 Jump Starter

lee

Debbie's Servant
I have carried jumper cables for many years on our trips but thought a jump started would have more uses.
As henzilla pointed out jumper cables don't work if you don't have another bike or car to jump from.
I ordered a XP-3 from Anti-Gravity and it arrived today.
I was surprised to see it's bulkier than my cables.
I might have been better off with the smaller Sport. I thought the 2 USB outlets on the XP-3 would be handy and the Sport only had one.
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-3/

Here's a few pictures with my jumper cables so you can see the size.
The clamps and connector are the bulky part of the package.

XP-3 Anti Gravity (2).jpg

XP-3 Anti Gravity (3).jpg

XP-3 Anti Gravity.jpg

I could get a clampless harness for both of our bikes to reduce the bulk, but this would not work if I need to help another rider.
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.c.../cables-parts/starting-harness-newer-xp1-xp3/

They can provide a direct to battery wiring harness that plugs into the XP3. Then for your bike you don't need the clamp assembly. One for yours and one for Debbie's and you're set.

Last edited:
I have the XP-3 as well. I have the room for it, it's not that big. Mine has held to a 75% charge over 4 months sitting in the pannier. If taking a trip I charge it to 100%.

Bonus for the two usb ports, it doubles as a phone/mp3/etc charging station, something those jumper cables can't do. :thumb

They can provide a direct to battery wiring harness that plugs into the XP3. Then for your bike you don't need the clamp assembly. One for yours and one for Debbie's and your set.

But like I mentioned, I would not be able to help another rider.

I like to hear this about the jump pack. I have been thinking about ordering one- not really worrying about the size........Mainly interested in what I see as some real flexibility in the unit itself. I’m wondering if this will actually bail a rider out in the case of total battery failure such a an internal plate (battery) separation where the original battery that “died” prevents the bike taking a jump and needs to be removed before restarting.......The jump pack becoming the bikes battery until a replacement can be found.
OM

. I’m wondering if this will actually bail a rider out in the case of total battery failure such a an internal plate (battery) separation where the original battery that “died” prevents the bike taking a jump and needs to be removed before restarting.......The jump pack becoming the bikes battery until a replacement can be found.
OM

The manual says to not use the clamps or power port to power other things.

I have had a couple of cheap jump boxes and they are nice I have used mine to charge up a dead battery enough so I could determine it was the starter that failed not the battery.
The clamps are all large and bulky or clunky. ( what I have seen)
Anymore having something that you can charge your phone or tablet is very useful plus you can get lots of different lights and small fans that also plug into usb ports

Anymore having something that you can charge your phone or tablet is very useful plus you can get lots of different lights and small fans that also plug into usb ports

I've carried the jumper cables since the early 90s and never had a dead battery on one of our bikes in that time.
There have been plenty of times I needed something to charge a device.

H has used hers a couple of times with a suspect battery on her 650GS. It has a new battery now, but the pack got her rolling. So easy and peace of mind not needing a donor battery.

I read to not use as primary source, though it seems it may get you down the road on some lightly loaded electrically bikes. Hope to not field test that need.

Lots of sources for jump packs like this. I have on from Costco (under 50 bucks). Works great. Have jumped my BMW cars with it.

I have the same jump starter for my 15 RT. It comes in handy for those occasions when parasitic drain has flattened the battery, and it's also useful as a charger for phones and such on trips.

There are two annoyances, one for the size of the clamps (every bit of space helps when on long trips), and one because of the need to get a Torx screwdriver out to remove the plastic panel to access the battery. I thought it would be great if Anti Gravity had a clampless cable that could connect through the bike's SAE connector, but it doesn't look they have one. Anybody found different?

The panel annoyance could be handled through a different fastener on the panel so it could be removed by hand instead of a screwdriver. Would still have to take along the battery terminal clamps, but at least could get to the battery faster. Anyone done this or found a better way to get quick access?

. I thought it would be great if Anti Gravity had a clampless cable that could connect through the bike's SAE connector, but it doesn't look they have one. Anybody found different?

I checked the wires on my battery charger pigtail that's attached to the bike battery and the cables on the Anti Gravity clamps.
The Anti Gravity cables are much larger so you would probably be better off adding a Anti Gravity pigtail.
It won't hurt to have two pigtails attached to your bike battery.

Lots of sources for jump packs like this. I have on from Costco (under 50 bucks). Works great. Have jumped my BMW cars with it.

I was in Walmart today and they had 3 different jump chargers ranging from $50 to $70.

Normal SAE connectors and wiring are NOT large enough for the amps needed for a jump start. That is why the jump cables on all these jump packs are big... and short.

In response to the original poster's question about running the bike off of a Zero Gravity (or other lithium starter battery), the Zero Gravity manual that came with mine says to disconnect the starter right after the engine starts ( I think they mention something like 30 seconds). Lithium batteries are generally charged through a battery management system and getting 12-14 volts straight from the charging system is likely to cause overheating and damage.

In response to the original poster's question about running the bike off of a Zero Gravity (or other lithium starter battery), the Zero Gravity manual that came with mine says to disconnect the starter right after the engine starts ( I think they mention something like 30 seconds). Lithium batteries are generally charged through a battery management system and getting 12-14 volts straight from the charging system is likely to cause overheating and damage.

That's absolutely correct sir. :thumb

Back