• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Exhaust-Tire clearance

jrsndman

I've got a "new to me" 2008 K12GT. When I bought it the muffler was about a 1/4" from the rear tire and there were marks on the exhaust from the tire. I loosened the exhaust clamp, adjusted the gap between the tire and muffler and clamp to 1.5". After a few hundred miles the gap is less. I've done this twice. This can't be normal. Anyone ever see anything like this?

K12GT_Exhaust_Tire.jpg

Welcome to the forum:wave

There are a few models that mention the clearance in the owners manual. It can rotate at clamp between can and header. No biggie, just check when reinstalling or when checking air pressure.

My RT and K12S could close the gap if the collar band was not tight or not paying attention when bolting the can back in place. The gap should be closer to an inch without looking at a manual. You look good to go.

Bringing this up again... I’ve replaced the clamp between the muffler and header without success. Every ride the exhaust can works itself closer to the tire. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First, make sure the muffler bracket is fastened outside the rear footpeg mount. If no, reposition. If yes, try giving the muffler bracket which fastens to the rear footpeg mount a bend outward and then reset the front clamp again.

Last edited:
First, make sure the muffler bracket is fastened outside the rear footpeg mount. If no, reposition. If yes, try giving the muffler bracket which fastens to the rear footpeg mount a bend outward and then reset the front clamp again.

The bracket is mounted on the inside of the foot peg mount as it should be. It has a captive nut on it to receive the mounting bolt through the foot peg mount os it can't be mounted on the outside. Thanks for the thought though.

The bracket is mounted on the inside of the foot peg mount as it should be. It has a captive nut on it to receive the mounting bolt through the foot peg mount os it can't be mounted on the outside. Thanks for the thought though.

I see. Different from my S.

Back