• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Report from the road

lupinblue

Four days after leaving PEI I’m now close to Thunder Bay.
The weather’s been consistently cold: close to freezing every morning, warming up one day to 18 but otherwise rarely getting over 12.
My Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and Rev’It Sand pants have kept out rain and cold, and my. Tour master Synergy electric jacket has been invaluable to my old bones.
My Cortech Scarab gloves did the job, and the Aerostich Triple-Digit covers kept out the rain without being too bulky.
Alas, my TCX “waterproof “ boots aren’t very. And the HJC RPHA11 Pro helmet is super lightweight and stable, but very noisy and the faceshield fogs up all the time at temperatures below 10C if I lock the shield and I have to ride with the shield cracked open. I do like its comfort and wide field of vision, though.
The R1200RS hasn’t missed a beat ( touch wood) in spite of being fed 87 octane gas quite often - in Northern Ontario it’s often all that’s available. Actually I can’t feel the difference.
What I have noticed, though, is that I’m getting lousy mileage: average 5.0 l/100 km ( that’s 47 mpg). Usually I get 4.3/100 or54.7. I’m carrying about 80 lbs of gear in the stock side cases and a tail bag and tank bag. There’s no doubt those big cases are a drag: you can feel it. I’ve been running between 105 and 120 km/ hr on cruise most of the time : that’s 65 to 75 mph.
How do others do?
Oh, and one other thing: I got a Nelson-Rigg half cover for parking outside motels. The first time I used it there was a fierce thundersquall and it took off like a spinnaker, dragging the bike over onto its BMW crash bar: scratches on the bar, scuffs on the case. Worth bearing in mind... and yes, I’ve seen those videos of skinny girls lifting bikes but I couldn’t shift it : I had to call out CAA.

Sorry to hear your bike blew over.
Bike covers make great sails so we don't use our if there's a strong wind.

What I have noticed, though, is that I’m getting lousy mileage: average 5.0 l/100 km ( that’s 47 mpg). Usually I get 4.3/100 or54.7. I’m carrying about 80 lbs of gear in the stock side cases and a tail bag and tank bag. There’s no doubt those big cases are a drag: you can feel it. I’ve been running between 105 and 120 km/ hr on cruise most of the time : that’s 65 to 75 mph. How do others do?

Compared to my K100 or R1100, your mileage is pretty good. Occasionally I'll get 5.5 l/100 km but more often than not, 6 to 6.5 l/100 km, with or without my small one wheel trailer.

I had never thought of a bike cover becoming a sail or kite during a storm; sorry for your blow over but that's something I bet many will take into consideration before using a cover during stormy weather.

Once when touring, my friend and I parked under a motel overhang for the night during a blustery storm. I suggested he move his bike 180 degrees as he had the bike on the side stand, leaning in the same direction from which the wind was coming, which would have made the tipping of his bike an easy feat. Bike placement might have made a difference in your case (or maybe not). :dunno

I am hoping Northern Ontario warms up by July when I intend to ride to Winnipeg.

Yep, I like the wind to put pressure on the sidestand instead of the wind being able to life the bike off of the stand.

I’m getting lousy mileage: average 5.0 l/100 km ( that’s 47 mpg). Usually I get 4.3/100 or54.7.
that’s 65 to 75 mph.

On trips at speeds in the 65 to 75 mph range my gas mileage is usually 45 to 50 mpg.
Headwind or tailwind will increase or decrease the mileage.
2016 R1200RS

Wind speed and direction seems to affect my mileage more on the RS than it did on the K1300S and K1200RS.

Sorry to hear your bike blew over.
Bike covers make great sails so we don't use our if there's a strong wind.

You’re right. It wasn’t windy when I went to sleep... Good to hear from you, Lee. Regards to Debbie.

On trips at speeds in the 65 to 75 mph range my gas mileage is usually 45 to 50 mpg.
Headwind or tailwind will increase or decrease the mileage.
2016 R1200RS

Wind speed and direction seems to affect my mileage more on the RS than it did on the K1300S and K1200RS.

Thanks, Lee. I suspect the cold had something to do with it, too. Anyway, I’m back to 4.7/4.8: more like what I’d expect.

Update: I’m in Saskatchewan now, my first time in the Prairies. And while they definitely aren’t prime motorbike country, they have a definite charm: the big skies, the roadside sloughs full of ducks and blackbirds, the friendly people. It’s sort of like the Maritimes only totally different.
One thing I don’t like: Prairie wind! A 30 mph crosswind this afternoon felt like it would pull my head off!

Attachments

• EFF296F8-C806-4D11-8261-9524CCC26784.jpg
    EFF296F8-C806-4D11-8261-9524CCC26784.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 39
Back