• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive spline not coming apart

dlweyand

I have a 07 R1200rt and I can’t get the spline on final drive to pull apart. When I move the grommet or seal back , it looks like the drive shaft is moving back, putting it in a bind and I can’t lower final drive to change fluid or lube spline gear. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or who may have a solution. Thanks dlweyand

Sometimes they stick. I would give it a harder downward motion and rock it off. You have the sensor out of way as well?

The shaft has a circlip at transmission and should not disengage typically.

Oh, and welcome to the forum:wave

Your 07 is considered a Hexhead as well, will move at some point

Mine did separate at the transmission. Not a big deal to get back together and an opportunity to inspect and grease those splines as well.

I've read in other posts that it can be trouble to get them back together if they uncouple from the front spline. Yes there's a circlip up there but it can be overcome if the rear spline is seized. Make sure there's nothing else hanging it up as suggested. You can use a small pry bar or large screwdriver to reef the shaft off the rear spline. Use something to protect the FD housing housing like a thick piece of rubber, plastic, or several (many) layers of tape.

Back