• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CO2 or compressor?

The Slime pump works great and is not too big. Available at most any store including the big W.

The Slime pump works great and is not too big. Available at most any store including the big W.

Walmart carries several Slime pumps but I never see the one in the silver case.
I bought mine at a auto parts store.

Walmart carries several Slime pumps but I never see the one in the silver case.
I bought mine at a auto parts store.
I think they don't make that one any more. The littlest one only has a 6" hose and doesn't have a quick-connect but it's the one that comes in the zippered case (for twice the price!). The next one up has a longer hose and quick-connect but is larger. They both use cigarette lighter plugs, not the Battery Tender pigtail. The discontinued Slime pump was a contender (I have one and it suits my purpose fine) but it doesn't look like they make anything I'd want to buy now.

Search on eBay for Slime 40061. Pep Boys is selling them there for about $20 including tax and shipping. I bought one a couple of months ago.

I bought the smallest Harbor Freight compressor and pried off the case to make it smaller. That and my Plug-It kit fit nicely in the tail section of my R100RS. Though I used it a couple of times to see how long it took to get up to 32psi (several minutes), it has never been needed in all the years I have had it.

I have an older Slime pump (with SAE plug) - it's large, but moves a good bit of air and fills a tire pretty quickly. I use a coaxial to SAE adapter and power it off the coax cable that normally runs my heated gear (cable is run off an Eastern Beaver PC8 fuse block, bypassing the CANbus).

FYI, with the key on and the starter button in the "on" position you can display the air pressure readings from the TPM sensors on the computer of an F800GT and use that to set your pressures while the pump is running - no air pressure gauge needed. Might work with other BMWs too.

I’ve never seen or heard of anyone topping up the air pressure while on the road at a camping spot or hotel/motel with CO2 cartridges.

Charlie

CyclePump

Not the cheapest, BestRest Cyclepump is the best. I've had mine for over 10 years, with multiple bikes. No kidding, it's worth the investment over chopped down cheaper options. I use it on the road and in the garage, and wouldn't leave home without it unless my fading memory dictated otherwise. YMMV if you don't carry one.

I’ve never seen or heard of anyone topping up the air pressure while on the road at a camping spot or hotel/motel with CO2 cartridges.

Charlie

Now you have! Works great. Sounds like that may be all it works great for. Lol. Guess I’ll look at the bestrest website!

That’s it, came in a black zipper case. Faster?, I never did a side by side comparison. I keep the BR pump on the ATV due to the “larger” possibilities along with tools to “sew” up a side-wall slice.
The Best Rest has a more precision operating sound, they both have a draw and should be run directly to the battery. I think the Slime unit will work fine for occasional use. I don’t think either will work to mount a stubborn bead (although ganging up two pumps may).

I ran across a post on advrider where the guy used co2 to seat the bead abd the pump to inflate...of course that defeats the purpose of carrying one tire inflation system.

Back