Thread: Strange "beep" every 30 seconds

Strange "beep" every 30 seconds

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip during which my (new to me) 2011 R1200RT performed flawlessly. After parking in my garage, I noticed a single, high-pitched beep every 30 seconds. The only thing that stopped it was disconnecting the battery--after 15 minutes the beeps stopped. A few hours after re-connecting the battery, the beeps returned. The batteries in the DWA box are good, as are the fob batteries. Does anyone know what this is & how to fix it?

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyner View Post
    I just returned from a 2000 mile trip during which my (new to me) 2011 R1200RT performed flawlessly. After parking in my garage, I noticed a single, high-pitched beep every 30 seconds. The only thing that stopped it was disconnecting the battery--after 15 minutes the beeps stopped. A few hours after re-connecting the battery, the beeps returned. The batteries in the DWA box are good, as are the fob batteries. Does anyone know what this is & how to fix it?
    GPS....??? battery died 15 min after disconnecting main batt only to recharge upon re-connection....would be my guess or some other electronic add on...

in my 6 years and over 105,000miles i have never heard a beep....
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

If you have the alarm system and the batteries are low, you’ll get the DWA warning/battery icon on your instrument panel...

The alarm emits a high pitched beep when it auto-arms, but that should only be one beep.

What other farkles do you have installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 30-second beep--Solved

Embarrassing, yet funny.The beep was not coming from the bike. I had parked directly under my garage door opener, which has a battery back-up. When the batteries are close to failing, the system emits a beep--every 30 seconds. I have a quite a bit of hearing loss, so I couldn't determine from where the beep was coming, and foolishly blamed the bike. I didn't see the associated red LED on the battery box. After calling myself a few names, I had a good laugh. I was ready to remove all of the plastic in search of a faulty bit of aftermarket farkle. Thanks to Rangemaster and wayman.winn.

Hey...no shame, sir.

We’ve ALL had situations like that, but many folks wouldn’t fess up to it.

In my book it means you SHOULD be on this forum - you’re not afraid to ask questions and are an honest person.

Looks like you just paid a portion of your dues to be here LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk