Thread: 2016 R1200RT Throttle tube sticky/notchy

2016 R1200RT Throttle tube sticky/notchy

Anyone else noticed the throttle return being a little notchy? It's most noticeable when I've been at a constant throttle opening for a few seconds and go to roll on or off, it feels like there's something sticky in the throttle tube that resists a little and prevents it from being totally smooth. It functions fine and the return spring does its job, but it certainly doesn't feel good. I'm hoping there's a way to fix it without having to just get a new throttle tube (as it looks like they are around $350). Also, I bought the bike used, so I'm not sure if it came this way or if it is a problem it developed over time.
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

I noticed the same thing on my 2015 RT. Since it is a throttle by wire, like you, I decided there was a problem with the right handlebar throttle assembly. Using the shop manual, I removed the throttle assembly. I discovered that between the inside of the throttle tube and the outside metal handle bar, there was a significant amount of dirt and grime. I cleaned everything off and found in several places that the black paint on the handle bar had been removed. It looked as if someone had taken a Scotchbrite pad to the bar. Since everything was clean, I slipped the throttle back on the handlebar and it felt like it was brand new.

Since that was definitely the problem, I removed the throttle again, prepped the bare metal, and applied a couple light coats of black epoxy paint. After letting the paint cure for a couple of days, I put everything back together and haven't noticed any problems since.

Well thatís good to hear! Thanks for sharing. Iíll be working on it as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRTrider View Post
    I noticed the same thing on my 2015 RT. Since it is a throttle by wire, like you, I decided there was a problem with the right handlebar throttle assembly. Using the shop manual, I removed the throttle assembly. I discovered that between the inside of the throttle tube and the outside metal handle bar, there was a significant amount of dirt and grime. I cleaned everything off and found in several places that the black paint on the handle bar had been removed. It looked as if someone had taken a Scotchbrite pad to the bar. Since everything was clean, I slipped the throttle back on the handlebar and it felt like it was brand new.

Since that was definitely the problem, I removed the throttle again, prepped the bare metal, and applied a couple light coats of black epoxy paint. After letting the paint cure for a couple of days, I put everything back together and haven't noticed any problems since.
    Hi Seattle,

I have the same issue now w/ my '16 RT. I don't seem to have the right tool to take the first screw out of the switch assembly you have to open to get to the screw that holds the twist-grip on the bar. Do you know if that small recessed screw accessible from the underside of the switch housing is torx, or allen? How easy is it to get the thing off so you can clean it? Now that you've done it a couple times, start to finish how long did it take? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Anyone else noticed the throttle return being a little notchy?
    Yes. I asked the same question after I bought my 2017 RT. The throttle was smooth at first, and then became slightly sticky. One response I received suggested that the plastic throttle tube was being deformed by the pressure of the rider's weight on the grip, causing it to rub on the handlebar. Lacking any instructions for how to disassemble the throttle, I elected to try something else. I put "grip puppies" over the OEM grips. These have some stretch to them, and will help to keep the throttle tube round. Their greater diameter also provides more leverage (larger torque arm). I also made a conscious effort to wrest my wrist on the bar-end rather than the grip itself. I haven't noticed the sticky throttle behavior since I made these changes.

Since then, I bought a shop manual, and given the previous post by SeattleRTrider, I may take it apart and see what I discover.

Cap

I didn't have a long #9 torx driver so could not start to take the twist throttle assembly off the bars to clean it. After removing the bar-end weight I thought I'd try WD-40 to the bar-tube interface on both sides of the grip and voila, all better now the sticky/notchy is gone and it feels smooth again. Might not last long w/ lube it now we'll see at some point I need to take it apart and clean it but this is a good stop gap measure and is quick to do.

Some instructions

When all else fails, RTFM

Throttle0.jpg

Throttle1.jpg

Throttle2.jpg

Throttle3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry for the huge images above, I couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicates after I resized them.

I followed these instructions last night, and discovered that most of the friction in the system is created by sloppy plastic-to-plastic rubbing in the twistgrip housing itself. Yes, there was some dust on the handlebar and inside the throttle tube, but not very much. I do not believe the sticky throttle feeling is caused by rubbing between the tube and the handlebar. The throttle tube is retained in the twistgrip housing with some clearance to allow the tube to rotate. The twistgrip housing has a return spring that tends to pull the throttle tube out of axial alignment with the housing. The result is that there is uneven friction inside the housing as the tube rotates.

The twistgrip housing is held together with a tamper-proof screw (so, taking it apart is not an option). I used an aerosol electric contact cleaner to blast dust out of the housing. And then I very carefully placed tiny amounts of high-tech lube in a couple of places I could see where the plastic throttle tube was bearing on the plastic twistgrip housing. The result was an immediate improvement in the smoothness of throttle rotation.

As others have noted, you will need a narrow shank Torx bit to remove the screws in the throttle assembly. I used a T-8. The screw holding the twistgrip to the handlebar is larger, I think I used a T-20 on that. Otherwise, the process is pretty straight forward.

Cap

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    ...and discovered that most of the friction in the system is created by sloppy plastic-to-plastic rubbing in the twistgrip housing itself.

As others have noted, you will need a narrow shank Torx bit to remove the screws in the throttle assembly. I used a T-8. The screw holding the twistgrip to the handlebar is larger, I think I used a T-20 on that. Otherwise, the process is pretty straight forward.

Cap
    I concur with your conclusion that it's the plastic to plastic rubbing (at the proximal end of the twist grip) because it wasn't until I hit that area w/ WD-40 that immediate improvement happened. I was happy to discover what I had thought might have been a flat spot in the acceleration curve indeed had to do w/ the stickiness of the twist grip. That may not have been the best lubricant to use--what might be less interactive w/ plastics/rubber? Doesn't seem like taking this apart is required.

Hey neighbor, what's 287 like from FC to Laramie as far as pavement quality and wildlife is concerned?