Thread: Mikuni Carburetors

Mikuni Carburetors

I’ve been investigating the use of Mikuni Carbs on ‘55 - ‘69 Models (more specifically for a ‘57 R60).
    Rocky Point Website list Carbs for 600 cc bikes, the /5, /6 and Slash 7. Note says “Not for /2”. Don’t know what that implies, but will find out.

What I am after here, is information from folks that actually bought and tuned Mikunis on Pre ‘70 bikes. From fitment to starting to running.

First hand experience if you care to share.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Charlie -

From what I can tell on the Yahoo /2 site, the issue is the spigot that goes between the carb and the head. On the /2, the two bolts are in a vertical orientation while things are horizontal on the /5-on bikes. Possibly people make adapters...I saw the company Sudco mentioned...maybe you can research that. Someone on the Yahoo site said they were running Mikunis on an R51 race bike, so guess it can be done.

Use the search box on the Vintage site...I typed in Mikuni and found quite a few pages of hits. Looks like there's been some past discussion on this.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Kurt, Thanks for the leads.

Yes you are right as to the basic stumbling block is an adaptor between a Mikuni and the Stock Bing connection. That in itself, makes me wonder whether all the ‘55-‘69 Models had the same stud bolt connection and the same spacing. There seems to have been several sources for those adaptors, not including Sudco that I have not searched yet.

Still hope to hear some first hand experiences on using Mikunis.

I’m amazed sometimes (most always) of the searched material that you come up with. The amount and speed with which you find the pertinent matter. If you haven’t, and you probably have, posted tips and pointers as to how to “Search”. I get the most ridiculous amount of unrelated information and quanity from this Forums search feature, so as to be useless and not worth the effort.

Care to post a “Search for Dummies” topic for the Dummies ?

Thanks again,

Charlie

Charlie -

I try to help when I can and appreciate the thoughts.

As for the MOA forum searching, I generally agree that the built-in search tools don't work all that well and I have generally stopped using them. Only when I'm desperate will I resort to them! As for an overview of this forum search features, I put together this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-the-MOA-Forum

It's under New Members so for long time members, they probably don't think of looking there. I had to park it somewhere. The search feature that I use mostly for the MOA forums is the google "site" search. It allows use of the powerful search feature of google which can include, exclude, or otherwise narrow the focus of the search. The problem with the google approach is you can't search just the Airheads forum for example.

I've found that with any searches, it's important to try and get inside what might have been posted by someone unknown person and think of what one or two specific words they might have used. That's problematic when one person will use the words "final drive", someone else uses "bevel drive", and another person will use "rear differential". The more detailed words you use, the better chance of finding something. If I remember a post sometime ago and can recall just one of those specific words, that helps a lot.

As for my searching generally, I'm plugged into a variety of forums and have been over the years. When I see something posted by someone that might help me or someone else in the future, I might save it in a Word file on my local machine. You might have seen these threads on the MOA forum...I've been compiling these lists over many years. The internet is a dynamic place and things come and go however.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispl...and-References

Most of the stuff I own (not just bikes) is vintage or going on towards vintage. As for BMWs, there are several other vintage forums where good information is shared. I read everything that is posted and maybe save something for personal use. But when there's a new request for help being posed by someone, I might (most times might not!) recall that I remember seeing something along those lines elsewhere, so I go check things out. So, my reading all these other posts has helped find things, but I'm sure I've forgotten more than I remember!

In case of your original question on Mikunis, I basically just went to a couple of forums that specialize in the vintage BMWs and used that single word to search. I didn't explore everything that came back from those searches, but I perused the hits and noted a few details here and there. I typically might not come back with "here's your answer" but provide links for you to go explore yourself. I likely don't fully understand all the issues you might be dealing with so about all I can do is "lead you" to the water and hopefully you'll see some things that will give you ideas and places you can dive deeper to ultimately find what you're looking for.

That's about it. Just staying plugged in and sometimes thinking outside the box helps me find things. Hope that helps!

Update -- I keep forgetting about the forum Tag cloud. Along the way, a number of forum users have been adding direct and good tags to a number of threads. Often times search the tag cloud can bring up useful threads from the past.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!