• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Denali CanSmart

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
If you are looking to upgrade both tail/brake lights the Denali system is very good and easy to install.

I added the Denali D4 aux lights last year and just purchased & installed the sound bomb horn and brake lights with the camsmart harness. I first had to remove the lighting harness that came with the D4's and replace it with the camsmart harness. It's easy to do, requiring removal of some of the plastic around the tank and not much more.

The horn is mega loud and the brake lights bright and able to be programmed in several ways. I can now dim the D4's as well which was not possible before now. I think the Denali system is very good and worth a look!!

2013 1200GS

Good to hear.

I've been looking into adding tail lights and the D4's on my 1250GSA. Really like the look of them and will probably fabricate a new license plate mount to outfit the bike with more tail lights.

Riding at night in the beautiful woods of upstate NY requires some serious light.

Take care,
Austin

Denali Cansmart

I would be sure to get the CanSmart otherwise you can’t turn off or dim the D4’s easily.

Agreed.
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative and find the Cyclops version, then wonder if it will do the trick, it will, but it'll drain your battery too - You have to keep it on a trickle charger if you let it sit for a week at a time. I've had both a Hex on a GS and currently have the Cyclops on my RT, trust me, go with the Hex EZ-CAN, or the Denali CAN-Smart.

Ive had the cansmart and DR1 lights since September and they worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Also sometimes my tire pressure monitor cuts out. Since the cansmart connects to the TPM unit I think the problem is directly related. If I disconnect the cansmart the DR1s don't work but the TPM does. I called Denalis customer service yesterday but they weren't much help. they said that a techie would call me back, still waiting on that call.

to give an update. the customer service at twisted throttle was great, I returned my cansmart and they sent me a new one. Ive got a new battery coming tomorrow and I'll hook everything up then and I should be back in business.

Denali Cansmart

That is interesting, hope your new unit works as it should. Mine has only been on the bike for three weeks but no problems yet. And yes, thumbs up for Twisted Throttle, they are great.

arrrgghhh

I don't know what's going on with this thing. I've been messing with it all weekend. When I start the bike the green light on the cansmart doesn't come on witch means its not getting power. Checked all the fuses no problems there. My tire pressure monitor works. I put my volt tester on the battery and I'm getting 14 volts. I took the inline fuse out of the wire going to the positive terminal and put the prongs from my tester in there and I'm not getting anything. The only time the green light comes on is when i connect the cansmart to my laptop. When i run the diagnostics it say my canbus is getting 14 volts and my cansmart is getting none. I'll have to call customer service again tomorrow.

I don't know what's going on with this thing. I've been messing with it all weekend. When I start the bike the green light on the cansmart doesn't come on witch means its not getting power. Checked all the fuses no problems there. My tire pressure monitor works. I put my volt tester on the battery and I'm getting 14 volts. I took the inline fuse out of the wire going to the positive terminal and put the prongs from my tester in there and I'm not getting anything. The only time the green light comes on is when i connect the cansmart to my laptop. When i run the diagnostics it say my canbus is getting 14 volts and my cansmart is getting none. I'll have to call customer service again tomorrow.

What bike do you have?
Where are you trying to pick up 12V?
Have you tried the unit directly to a battery?
If you bought it from TT, the customer service reports have been good.
OM

I put my volt tester on the battery and I'm getting 14 volts. I took the inline fuse out of the wire going to the positive terminal and put the prongs from my tester in there and I'm not getting anything.

You seem to have isolated the problem to the wire, connector, or connection to the positive battery terminal (assuming you were probing for voltage correctly). Do you have continuity from the fuse holder to the ring terminal? If not then you've confirmed a bad wire or connector (could be a bad crimp or something). If yes, then it's the way the wire is attached to the positive terminal.

Good luck.

IMG_8637.jpgIMG_2197.jpg
so I finally fixed the problem. The connection behind the inline fuse and the wire that goes to the Cansmart unit is a piece of garbage. I took the harness out and shined a light on it, could see some copper shining through the carbon fiber mesh. Cut open the mesh peeled it back, jammed the wire back in the fitting, soldered it, heat shrinked it and taped it up. I expect better quality for the money. It wouldn't cost them much to do a better job. Also I emailed twisted throttle a couple of days ago and sent them pictures of how I had it set up. Never got any response back from them. Their standard solution is that they think you have it plugged into the wrong connection. Anyway that was about 20 hours of my life I'll never get back, but glad I fixed it.

when I run the wires through the bike I loosen all the tupperware to make it as easy as possible. When I connect the wires and put the battery back into position its a very tight fit. I do the best I can because there's no way to see how the wires are sitting once the battery is in place. If there's any abuse it was delivered that way. My problem with the fitting is that only 1/8 of an inch of the wire was into the fitting. Why not put 3/8 into the fitting and do a better job cripping it? The carbon fiber mesh that I had to cut away looks nice but doesn't do anything to re enforce the fitting. The problem I had with customer service is that I emailed them 5 pictures of the set up. After two business days I still hadn't heard from them. How long am I supposed to wait, week two weeks? Its not rocket science. The only answer they could ever give me over the phone is that I must have it plugged into the wrong connector. I posted my results because maybe it'll help someone else because chances are they won't get any from customer service. One of the ways for companies to do better is through customer feedback. If they ever get back to me i'll let em know.

Dear @jfoster

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you and we thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our customer service did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible. It is never our intention to make customers wait such a long time for a response. Our customer service team in looking at how we can improve our response time, and get you guys the information and communication you need to get you back on the road or the trails.

Best regards

The Twisted Team

Back