• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital Clock

Ok Here is my first some what technical question.

The Bike : 1986 K75s
Problem : Digital Clock on gages has never worked on bike sence I bought it 12 years ago.

Looking thrue the 2 books I have and asking dealers I am told this can only be fixed by buying a whole new gage cluster. After reading some of the postes here I have come to realize there are braver people out there than I, and perhaps one of wich may have ran into this problem and fixed it already?

Not a very big deal, just one of those minor things I have always wondered about. Thank you for any light that can be shed on this small mystory.

Matt :brad

The parts fiche shows a clock (part no. 62111459368) available. I don't know why you couldn't replace yours. However, at $145, you could find a pretty nice aftermarket clock to put elsewhere, and not have to take your cluster apart.

So how does one get enough LT fairing off to access the instrument cluster????

I've got the same kind of clock problem. The lower segment of the second digit is intermittent.

Just like on BMW cars, it means a ribbon cable or solder joint is bad.

I don't have any problem tearing into the cluster to resolder the clock chip (in fact I'll mod it to work in 12-hour mode at the same time). But actually getting to the back of the cluster on my '93 1100 LT looks dauntung to say the least.

Any wisdom on such matters from the board? Is there a web resource I'm missing??

Thanks in advance...

Bill Lovin

wlovin said:
But actually getting to the back of the cluster on my '93 1100 LT looks dauntung to say the least.

Any wisdom on such matters from the board? Is there a web resource I'm missing??

Thanks in advance...

Bill Lovin

Bill,

I've just had my instrument cluster out of my '93 LT, and unless you're a contortionist, some disassembly is required. I already had the bike torn down some, but I found that removing the dash panel and the electric windshield mechanism (about a dozen screws all told), and then approaching the bike from the front, makes removal doable.

The 4 fasteners holding the cluster are recessed into the bracket, so you cant' see them, but they are 5 mm allen head bolts. Once, you've got those removed, the wire harness connector is held on by a captive 3 mm allen head screw.

Hope that helps.

That's what I was hoping for...

I wanted to RR to window motor anyway to lube any moving parts so it's a bonus that I can get to the motor while working on the clock...

Thanks,

Bill

Back