• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wife wants to try again with BRC

ARMYMUTT

Several years ago, my wife started a BRC course at our local college. She's never been on a bike, except for a single time in the garage where the clutch on our R75/5 slipped out of her fingers, shot forward, and left her with a really nasty bruise on her shin after the sidecar hit her car's door. That left her a little skittish, and the guy teaching the class was a bit of a - um - unpleasant person. I don't think any of the BMW dealers around here sponsor a class. Does anyone have experience with the HD version? I saw they are using 500cc bikes, which makes me a little nervous.

I agree with you on two counts. First, the quality of the instructor can make or break a participant's spirit.

H-D instructors are no different than those not hitching their wagon to any particular brand - some good, some mediocre, some shouldn't be teaching.

Nice if you can talk to people who had experience with the instructors that would be involved in your wife's BRC.

Secondly, the H-D 'training bike' is a beast. Too heavy, too powerful - about as far from an ideal training mount as you can get. However, H-D dealerships have no choice as to bikes, so consider an alternate site if you can.

Good luck, and I hope this time around, she comes away smiling! :dance

We're looking at the Sanford one this time around. The FTCC one was the last one. I wish she could take the one on Bragg. Those guys are so easy going.

You and your wife might want to consider visiting the MSF site prior to taking the class. Check out the facility, the staff and the students to get a feel for how they conduct their course. See if the school has any sort of social media presence to get some sort of student graduate feedback. You might also check with local motorcycle groups for feedback.

As Kevin has pointed out, the HD schools use much bigger and heavier bikes which might be somewhat intimidating. MSF limits their training bikes to primarily 250 cc bikes which might make a difference. You can check with your state DMV for the location nearest you. Most MSF sites have web sites with schedules, sign up details and costs.

It should be an excellent low stress, high fun to get started on the road to a lifetime of safe riding. :wave

Friedle
MSF #27713
22 years teaching all levels from beginners to motor school training

Here in Colorado I bought my wife a MSF training class that also satisfied the needs of the state and she received her MC endorsement at the end of the class. The instructor made the class for her. Years of experience teaching and a willingness to teach all students in the class. The bikes were small I can't remember their sizes but around the 250cc range. Also most of them were the small cruiser style bikes which is fine but where I thought things went wrong was on the style of bike they suggested to buy.

The instructor recommend a cruiser style bike so she could flat foot. He asked no questions of what her thoughts were on the type of riding she was wanting to do. So she took his recommendation and we bought her a Honda 750 Shadow. It lasted 400 miles before she said she couldn't ride it. The forward leg position didn't work well for her. This was my only fault with her class.

Like someone else said if you can watch a few sessions of the class to get a feel for the class and instructor I think that would go a long way. I would also ask the wife on what type of riding she wants to do.

I took the HD BRC last winter despite having 30 years experience on motorcycles. I was coming off a 9-year hiatus and thought it would be a good idea to get re-familiarized. I went into it thinking "bother, HD trainers, it's going to be a nonstop hard-sell for two days." I called and balked at the price ($300!) and they immediately dropped it to $99. Like a timeshare pitch, I figured I could deal with the merchandize sales pitches and got my happy behind there early Saturday morning.

I obviously walked in expecting the HD stereotype (loud pipes, assless chaps, brain-bucket/do-rags,"lay-er-down" emergency maneuvers) but I left the next evening very impressed. The instructors were very professional and everything they taught us agreed 100% with everything I've learned about safe motorcycle riding over the years. Yes, we walked through the showroom, once, but that was so they could point out the benefits of gear (full face=good, brain bucket=bad), not to sell us HD-branded accessories.

Overall, I was immensely impressed and very happy I did it. I mean, the bikes you use are total POS (Street 500's) but they work fine for low-speed maneuvering. In fact, their top-heavy nature and poor low speed handling compared to, say, an RT, are actually a benefit as in you are being trained on something that is harder to handle than the bike you'll end up buying her.

It obviously depends on the dealer but overall it'll be a good experience. Do it!

I saw they are using 500cc bikes, which makes me a little nervous.

Trust me. Those Street 500's can barely get out of their own way. That, and they are electronically limited (RPM I think) and have bars sticking out everywhere. I don't think I could have hurt myself if I wanted to.

Forget the "H-D Experience".. it's just a BRC. The Street 500 is over 500lbs and the ergos are not the best in the world.

Ask if your local MSF Instructors do a "Pre-BRC". These classes are at a much slower pace and usually have less students. We teach the Pre-BRC to get students the confidence they need to continue on to the BRC. The BRC is at a much faster pace with the exercises getting more challenging. With larger classes, the riding time is diminished and sometimes more challenging students get overwhelmed.

My son took the BRC at the local HD dealer a while ago after getting out of the Marine Corps...then promptly went down the street and picked up his first BMW (G-310R). The course he took was just fine, and he's got over 3,000 miles on the 310. I know he was very satisfied with the course.

The MSF course that is taught here in Charlotte

is done at a big lot next to the dealer and is done on 250's. I haven't take the course personally, but have seen lots of people taking it when I have visited the dealer and they have seemed to be having a good experience.