• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Paint , original or exotic?

metternick

I have a 96 RT1100, 82500 miles on it with all the dings and scratches that go with that time. Resale is 3 to 5K but I have put new shocks on 2 years ago and fell in love with it all over again. Had a lower cover melt after leaving it too rich in warm up. Have new faring piece. So now it needs painting. The question up for you all is....match stock color or find a fun color and make it mine or even is it worth the cost of paint at all. figure $1500 and up for a paint job and then replace the old rubber knee pads as well. Post your comments please.

TJ

I would go with contacting Color Rite and buy an aerosol can of paint to match your replacement piece. The 1100 RT series is readily available for $2500-3500 depending on mileage and condition. Putting a $1500 paint job on it is not worth it. Of course, I am one of those guys that will spend whatever is necessary just because I like piece of machinery, but I am trying to be practical in giving my opinion.

I also believe your "resale value " is extremely high!

I have to agree. Around here, $2000 to $2500 seems to be the going rate. I believe a lot of professional paint suppliers ( who will also sell to individuals) can mix up and put into aerosol cans their auto paints. It will be single stage paint without hardener but aside from a longer dry time, it will work fine.

Forget all that other stuff. Looks like your keeping the bike, paint it what ever you like. Ride and enjoy. Rock and Roll!:thumb

I used to get the Jegs catalog in the mail. They sell paint and I kept looking at the ads.

My Bronco brown 1980 R65 ended up Wimbledon White. Like a ford or a Chevy. I loved it. I wish I did it sooner. Paint wa about $100 I guess and the gun maybe $50. I built a spray booth in my garage and after sanding and such knocks it out in an afternoon.

Well...I’m sort of in the same boat as you, in the sense of I try to weigh the cost of buying something, such as an upgrade against the value of the bike.

But In reality, I have no plans of selling it anyway, not to mention I’ve done so much to upgrade and personalize it, that the math would never work out if I based my decision on the value. So I try to refrain from basing my decision on value and whether or not I’ll ever get my money out of it. It just never pencil’s out. I suggest basing your decision on whether it makes you happy and if it will enhance your riding experience.

I have an older bike like yours, except mine is an ‘02 R1150RT with just under 30k miles. It’s probably one of the nicest kept RT’s of its year and has many upgrades. With all that said, I would estimate the value of my bike is probably only worth $3-3,500. So I do feel your bike value estimate is quite a bit on the high side. Then again, value is a relative thing and in the aspect of riding enjoyment, what our bikes are worth is completely irrelevant.

My advice is just ride it and enjoy it. Do whatever makes you happy and if that means a custom paint job, then go for it.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back