• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skyline Drive

Just so you know, unlike the BRP, the Skyline Drive has, I believe, only two exit points between the north and south entrances. Pretty as it was I was frustrated with an average speed of about 25mph during one ride and couldn't just duck off easily.

If you are coming down the BRP a nice side route is US 221 between Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mountain were you can get back on the Parkway. You will miss the Linville Viaduct which is interesting, but you will also avoid the 35 MPH speed limits around the Moses Cone and Julian Price Parks.

Please talk more about the southern end. I have only ever driven/ridden SLD and the top of BRP.

How is it exciting? What makes it different?

As others have pointed out, the southern part has a lot more twisties. Both are nice rides, but the south is exciting while the north is more relaxing.

I ended up doing Skyline Drive yesterday as a sidecar setup issue made high speed runs a bit of a struggle for me. (Fixed now, thanks to a rider who read about my plight and showed up with the tools I needed, not the tools I brought with me!) Anyway, much of the scenery this spring is hidden behind brush and trees. I spoke with a crew doing some clearing on the southern end of Skyline and was told that much of the routine chores had been delayed by funding issues. They are now working their way north

Pete

Skyline Drive is worth doing, didn't remember it being $25 but it was 8 years ago for me.

Waynesboro to Boone is meh, I would jump off & slab it down to Boone. South of Boone to Cherokee is the best riding.

Riding gets really good west of Cherokee, just so many great roads down there.

Skyline Drive is worth doing, didn't remember it being $25 but it was 8 years ago for me.

It is, I believe, a National Park. Thus the fee. I haven't been there in years but the fees at Big Bend National Park just went up. And, the fee for a lifetime Geezer (62+) Pass went from $10 to $80 last July.

Skyline Dr.

I rode Skyline Dr. north to south and then the entire BRP last year on my Harley. Plan on going south to north after the rally on my 1250GS HP. I got the senior NP pass....when it was $101 mountain view 1.jpg

I made it home but the bike is still in Md.
Final drive issue.
I ended up doing Skyline and BRP.
Heavy fog and rain diminished it a bit.
BRP was closed south of Floyd so it took time to get back, but I had ridden that part before.
Regardless of bike problems on the way home it was well worth it.
I appreciate all the comments.

Back