Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skyline Drive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Skyline Drive

I am taking the long way to Lebanon, via the BRP.
    I have ridden most of it and driven all of it, though not all at once.
    Something I want to change on this trip.
    I have been on the Skyline drive when the kids were little, 20+ years ago.
    So I was thinking of starting there in Front Royal and going all the way down.
    The real question is, will it be worth doing Skyline Dr?
    It's only an extra 105 miles but I have read posts of riders being hassled and ticketed and picked on by the cops.
    Nobody can predict, but is there a history of that and worth taking the chance?

TIA!

It was nice

Paying $25 to ride a motorcycle 3 hours at a brisk 35 mph
    I don’t know what mindset law enforcement people on skyline drive have, the any ticket I can give you or the hey slowdown and enjoy the ride. It is possible that during the great invasion of our southern border, Ranger A-Hole May be somewhere down in that area

Living in NC I ride the BPR all the time but only last year had I ever been on Skyline Drive. I was VERY impressed. Once on it you know why it got that name. The views are very nice! About the cost ... if you have a National Park Pass it is free! And if you are 62 years or more the National Park Pass is a one time fee of $70 or $80. A bargain! Honestly I think it is worth it even if you have to pay and heck the payment goes to support the road!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It's worth doing...once.

The northern end of the BRP is a lot like it, but a few mph faster. Scenic, but all the scenery goes down. After a couple hundred miles I missed the feeling of riding IN the scenery instead of flying above it all. I'd take twisty breaks when the GPS showed a particularly inviting side road, then return to the BRP to soldier on. A bit south of Roanoke it got much better all the way to the end. But I'd definitely avoid it on weekends.

Skyline and the northern part of the BRP is relaxing. The southern part is exciting. There's a riding style for each.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I'm a big fan of both Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yes, the speed limit is low and that's for a reason: it's difficult to maximize enjoyment of the scenery when traveling at a fast pace, and the number of tourists pulling off and on the roadway from viewpoints creates a safety concern that the slower speeds help mitigate.

Very highly recommended roadways, but you'll enjoy them best if you're "all about the journey and less about the destination".

IMG_0218.jpg

Skyline Drive is a beautiful road, just relax and enjoy the ride.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    It's worth doing...once.

The northern end of the BRP is a lot like it, but a few mph faster. Scenic, but all the scenery goes down. After a couple hundred miles I missed the feeling of riding IN the scenery instead of flying above it all. I'd take twisty breaks when the GPS showed a particularly inviting side road, then return to the BRP to soldier on. A bit south of Roanoke it got much better all the way to the end. But I'd definitely avoid it on weekends.

Skyline and the northern part of the BRP is relaxing. The southern part is exciting. There's a riding style for each.

Pete

Please talk more about the southern end. I have only ever driven/ridden SLD and the top of BRP.

How is it exciting? What makes it different?

All the feedback has been great!

Thank goodness I have my own office @ work.

I can't leave Ct. until Saturday @ noon, so I will be staying in Md. overnight.
    Depending on time and weather will determine Skyline or not.

I Plan on camping at Doughton (Sunday) then to Ironhorse for 2 days before heading to Natchez Trace and Lebanon.
    It all depends on weather of course, but looks like occasional t-storms and 80s.
    The more I plan the more I wish my wife and/or daughter could come.
    My daughter rides.

The trip home will be more hi-way.

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Please talk more about the southern end. I have only ever driven/ridden SLD and the top of BRP.

From Ashville and south it gets more twisty and steeper.
    The highest point on the BRP is on this section, 6300+ feet.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post

As others have pointed out, the southern part has a lot more twisties. Both are nice rides, but the south is exciting while the north is more relaxing.

I ended up doing Skyline Drive yesterday as a sidecar setup issue made high speed runs a bit of a struggle for me. (Fixed now, thanks to a rider who read about my plight and showed up with the tools I needed, not the tools I brought with me!) Anyway, much of the scenery this spring is hidden behind brush and trees. I spoke with a crew doing some clearing on the southern end of Skyline and was told that much of the routine chores had been delayed by funding issues. They are now working their way north

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I found going slow on the straights and speeding up a bit in the curves made it interesting.
    The cabins at Big meadows were cool. There's a restaurant/pub that had a pretty good local beer selection for decent prices.
    And the entertainment was interesting.
    Worth the diversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And as you pass:
    Blue Ridge Parkway. Mile Post 58+-. Double parking Overlook. Two picnic tables 10’ from the Creek (Otter Creek). Usually one in the shade. Soak your gear and/or your dogs in the hot part of the day. Very peaceful stop. Usually nobody around.

Charlie

p.s. use your turn signals entering and exiting overlooks so the little Ranger won’t hold you up for a warning. He has an attitude. He thinks it is his Park. He forgot that it belongs to us.

I have ridden skyline drive many times and have enjoyed it. Stay away on weekends or the 35mph speedlimit is real! BRP is also awesome but don't do either if you are in a hurry.
    Enjoy the ride
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Headed South

We’ve traveled the length of Shenandoah National Park through driving, motorcycling, camping or backpacking multiple times in the past. It’s absolutely fantastic and that's why we keep going back. But the wife and I are finally headed south on the BRP in June. This will be the first time south of SNP and we're really looking forward to it. This trip was scheduled twice before but had to be cancelled due to her working conflicts. We'll be taking about 10 days for the round trip from NJ with most of those days spent roaming the BRP and only a couple days to return via the quickest route. We’ve planned our hotels to be no more than approximately 4.5 hours apart, with some exceptions, calculating the 45 MPH speed limit. I’ll be taking my KLT trike as it’s the most comfortable and relaxed mode with what will most likely be many, many stops for pictures or just taking in and enjoying the sights…….
    2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
    2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
    2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

Skyline Drive is worth doing, didn't remember it being $25 but it was 8 years ago for me.

Waynesboro to Boone is meh, I would jump off & slab it down to Boone. South of Boone to Cherokee is the best riding.

Riding gets really good west of Cherokee, just so many great roads down there.