Thread: 2014 RT windscreen problems

2014 RT windscreen problems

My 2014 R1200RT windscreen stopped returning to the last position automatically after stopping or starting my bike. When I turn the ignition off the windscreen doesn't retract. When I start the bike the wind screen doesn't return to the raised position I had it in in the previous ride. My battery is low and I was planning on replacing it this weekend and I suspect the windscreen problem might be related to the old battery but I'm not sure.

Has anyone experienced this and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.
    Bob, MOA#143234
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_h View Post
    ...When I turn the ignition off the windscreen doesn't retract. When I start the bike the wind screen doesn't return to the raised position I had it in in the previous ride...
    I'm confused by what you wrote. If it doesn't retract when you shut it off, then it shouldn't have to move to go back where it was because it never moved when you shut it off. It sounds like its always staying in the same location (which is where you have it while riding).

I agree that its weird and that the description sounds like it could be the battery (and the bike trying to conserve battery when the bike is being shut off)...
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Is the windscreen supposed to move as soon as there is power? The reason I ask is because on my 2019 RT, the windscreen raises once the bike starts rolling, but lowers itself after cutting the motor off. Is the 14 model similar in when it moves? Thanks. Still trying to learn all the differences between the various year models.

Cheers,
    William
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    Is the windscreen supposed to move as soon as there is power? The reason I ask is because on my 2019 RT, the windscreen raises once the bike starts rolling, but lowers itself after cutting the motor off. Is the 14 model similar in when it moves? Thanks. Still trying to learn all the differences between the various year models.

Cheers,
    William
    They are the same

The screen should return to lowest setting once ignition is switched off. It will stay up if you cut bike off with kickstand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
    The screen should return to lowest setting once ignition is switched off. It will stay up if you cut bike off with kickstand.
    I went to my R1200RT to test what you said. You are correct. If the engine is running, the windshield is up, the bike is in gear, and you lower the sidestand the engine stops and the windshield stays put. However, if you then turn off the ignitition, the windsheld retracts. So, whenever you turn the ignition off the windshield always retracts, assuming it was up. When you restart the engine, it goes back to its last upward position, assuming it had been up when the ignition was last turned off.
    Last edited by bmwdean; 05-30-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Another question: does the button still work after key on (to raise or lower the screen?)

Yep

Yes, with the key on you can raise/lower the screen with the windshield button regardless of what else is going on.
    You'll never see America from 30,000 feet or an interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Yes, with the key on you can raise/lower the screen with the windshield button regardless of what else is going on.
    Sorry, I meant to direct that to the OP, Bob_h

Yes, the button still works and I can raise or lower the windscreen. It just doesn't retract automatically when I shut off the bike or raise to the last position when I start riding. My battery is marginal and only shows 12.0V or 12.1V until I start the bike and then it comes up to 14.0V quickly. I'm just making an educated guess and hoping the bike has disabled any unnecessary voltage draw after the bike has been shut off. But I have not heard of this issue from anyone else and am looking for advice. This just started this afternoon. I was planning on going to the dealer on Friday anyways and will see what they have to say as well. Thanks.
    Bob, MOA#143234
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_h View Post
    Yes, the button still works and I can raise or lower the windscreen. It just doesn't retract automatically when I shut off the bike or raise to the last position when I start riding. My battery is marginal and only shows 12.0V or 12.1V until I start the bike and then it comes up to 14.0V quickly. I'm just making an educated guess and hoping the bike has disabled any unnecessary voltage draw after the bike has been shut off. But I have not heard of this issue from anyone else and am looking for advice. This just started this afternoon. I was planning on going to the dealer on Friday anyways and will see what they have to say as well. Thanks.
    Bob, fwiw I just checked the readout on my Ď17 R1200RT and it is 12V until I start it and 14V after. I just had the bike in for service and the battery load tested at 105%. Since 12V is the nominal voltage Iím suspicious that might not be your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk