• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sarget Seat vs. RDL seat

Yes, RDL saddles will take on water through the stitches. Our RDL saddles have gotten soaked on probably every bike we've had one on.

RDL has several patterns, the squares having the most stitches by far, the small squares are almost all stitches.

Our saddles are leather tops with vinyl sides in the rectangle pattern. Not as many stitches as the squares.

We purchased their rain/sun covers at the same time we bought the saddles, and its best to put their cover on as soon as it starts to rain. Unfortunately they work kind of so-so.

Dry time was not more than a day or two depending on how much rain we went through.

It has never been a real problem and hasn't put us off getting another RDL saddle.

In our opinion they are still the most comfortable saddles we've pressed our butts on, wet or dry.

No seat works for all behinds, just like no one specific spouse is perfect for everyone, we are all different. However, if the seat is custom made and fitted then it should come far closer than most.

As Paul, Pete and others have said, there is no correct answer to this and anyone who says otherwise, unfortunately, I don't feel they fully understand motorcycle seats. What works well for one behind can be uncomfortable for another. Period. Therefore, just because seat "a" is terrific for one person doesn't mean it will be for another.

Unlike car seats where you can have something like a Volvo seat work extremely well for virtually everyone,a motorcycle seat has to provide comfort and support to you even though you have a far more limited range of movement while seated.

I have multiple bikes with multiple versions of the following:
  • stock (4)
  • Corbin (2)
  • Sargent (2)

For me, the worst is the Corbin (too stiff), followed by the stock seats and the Sargent seats work very well for me. Others have better success with the RDL but I've known people who have had to have the RDL modified several times to get them right which is part of the "custom" seat process. I have known a few who could not get the comfort they were looking for from an RDL even with multiple fittings. FWIW, Sargent will also offers customized fitting at a price that brings them up into the RDL range.

Riding with the cover on

Hey RDL users:

The RDL site, under FYI, has some FAQ’s and one refers to the waterproof capability of their designs. It seems the stitching, no matter what material is used or treatment is utilized, compromises the seat’s water resistance to getting water logged. RDL suggests their seat cover, and seem to imply riding with cover installed during wet conditions.

Anyone with practical experience with this? Is it necessary to ride the RDL with waterproof covers in rain? How wet does it have to get before the seats get soaked through?

Thanks.

(Edited for some typos)

I'm not sure my cover would hold up that well to being rode. It fit's OK if the bike is stationary, but it's not super tight around the edges. I'd be concerned it would start coming off. If you're on the seat, that part isn't going to get that wet. Put on some waterproof pants and dry the seat out later. A little mink oil and conditioner will go a long way as well.

Jerry

I'm not sure my cover would hold up that well to being rode. It fit's OK if the bike is stationary, but it's not super tight around the edges. I'd be concerned it would start coming off.

Jerry,

We ride on our RDL covers when it rains.

They will bunch up if not tucked in all around the seat. This takes some doing.

So far I have not worn out a RDL seat cover.

Either they are tougher than they look or we don't ride in the rain often enough to wear one out!

Jerry,

We ride on our RDL covers when it rains.

They will bunch up if not tucked in all around the seat. This takes some doing.

So far I have not worn out a RDL seat cover.

Either they are tougher than they look or we don't ride in the rain often enough to wear one out!

Love the seat but not the cover; too loose fitting that yes can bunch up and even become free flapping on an unoccupied passenger seat. Because of the poor fitting cover, when my leather rotted in one area, I had it recovered in vinyl.

I have an 18 GTL and am 6’4”. I went with the RDL after a week out for 2000 miles on the stock seat which was a train wreck. I was too tall and too heavy for stock. RDL added height and suspension, retained the heat, and set it perfectly for both of us. We’ve done a few thousand miles on it and all the pain is gone. I tried the Sargent two piece and liked it but my passenger hated it. It was returned. We are both amazed with the RDL. I had a Corbin on my VStrom and it was amazing. I had a sargent on my bandit and it too was amazing. For the GTl, it didn’t work out. I’m an RDL fan for the GTL.

I am 6' 3", and have a 34" inseam - so I am interested in a taller seat. What is an "RDL" seat? Everyone mentions Corbins or Sergeants and RDL - just need a definition of what RDL stands for.

Thank you.

Lee

Back