• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

dead 2009 r1200rt

bluechair1

Bike is completly dead. no lights horn start sequence. I parked it in the fall and removed the battery and put it on a trickle charger. I went back today and put the battery back in. All Dead. The battery checks out fine voltage wise. I should at least turn on the lights i think even if it is fairly well gone. What else could it be? It is completly dead - no electricity.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bike is completly dead. no lights horn start sequence. I parked it in the fall and removed the battery and put it on a trickle charger. I went back today and put the battery back in. All Dead. The battery checks out fine voltage wise. I should at least turn on the lights i think even if it is fairly well gone. What else could it be? It is completly dead - no electricity.

Thanks for any suggestions

A battery can show 13+ VDC on a VOM and still be completely dead. A proper battery test puts a load on the battery while checking the voltage.

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like the battery to me as well. How old is the battery? If you don’t have any battery test equipment, most auto parts stores will run a check for you.
Gary

Thanks. I figured at least the lights would come on. I have the battery tested.
thanks for the help. I have a battery in another bike. I may try hooking it up as well.

A battery will read perfect voltage across the terminals without having anything “behind” the voltage (amperage).
An easy test can be done with an old style incandescent automotive headlight. If it won’t light off the battery, it’s time for a new battery. This process is interesting to watch with a “sweep” type VOM such as a Simpson 260. From looking great to “where did the voltage go”?
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Back