Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 MOA Rally at Montana ExpoPark in Great Falls, Montana

A couple of years ago Voni and I rode it east to west starting at daybreak. We passed only one car and when we reached the west gate traffic was lined up two lanes wide for 3 blocks. East to west is indeed the best, as Kevin said, and early is when to do it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Mrenloe

I got a shipping quote from the DC area (where I live as well) and it's about $825 one way.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A couple of years ago Voni and I rode it east to west starting at daybreak. We passed only one car and when we reached the west gate traffic was lined up two lanes wide for 3 blocks. East to west is indeed the best, as Kevin said, and early is when to do it.
    So despite what my wife says, there are advantages to waking up at 5am and being on the road by 6!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HankPfister View Post
    I'll pack my heated gear for riding to Great Falls in mid June. We could be brushing snow off our bikes.
    You are very wise, Hank! And bring your winter sleeping bag.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would expect the time of day had something to do with it. If you head out at 6AM but the time you got to the west gate is had to be 2 hours later and all the tourists were awake. East to west is probably faster, but ride it mid day and I bet you will fight traffic.

I have ridden Going to the Sun several times, all west to east. The last time was July '16. Have I had to wait for traffic, sure, but not much, nothing I would not expect for the situation. In the middle of the day, no matter which direction you ride it you will have to stop for traffic and pedestrians. I have seen plenty of traffic going either direction.

Same with any large National Park. We have been to Yellowstone a few times. We like to get out early, and pack it in by mid afternoon. The traffic is almost nonexistant until 10 AM, then it gets worse until mid day and stays that way until late afternoon. The times we have been at the Sturgis Rally it is the same. We get up early and are riding when the sun comes up. The roads are empty, by noon all the alcoholics have finally crawled out and decided to ride through the Black Hills at 20 MPH. We bail out and head for Sturgis and people watch.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Cool National Park Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Same with any large National Park. We have been to Yellowstone a few times. We like to get out early, and pack it in by mid afternoon. The traffic is almost nonexistant until 10 AM, then it gets worse until mid day and stays that way until late afternoon. The times we have been at the Sturgis Rally it is the same. We get up early and are riding when the sun comes up. The roads are empty, by noon all the alcoholics have finally crawled out and decided to ride through the Black Hills at 20 MPH. We bail out and head for Sturgis and people watch.
    Absolute agreement!! The trick to any National Park (we live near RMNP and ride it often) is to get up early!! The tourist seem to want to sleep in (they are after all on vacation) and don't get moving much until about 1000 hrs. Then look out!! We have actually ridden over Trail Ridge in peak season with minimum traffic by using this plan! HOWEVER, we NEVER come back across later in the day!
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

planning trip from Alaska

I'm thinking of making the trip on my Bagger from Alaska. I think the planning needs to start now.

NorthEastern California

Well, I would be riding in from the far NorthEastern corner of California, and I am looking forward to the ride and to the event. Iíll ride through Eastern Oregon, into Idaho and then into a Montana, all without freeways! Itíll be my first National rally, and now the waiting begins!

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Lightbulb That my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by lasnin View Post
    Well, I would be riding in from the far NorthEastern corner of California, and I am looking forward to the ride and to the event. Iíll ride through Eastern Oregon, into Idaho and then into a Montana, all without freeways! Itíll be my first National rally, and now the waiting begins!
    ... will be a popular route! It may actually comprise a posse of BMW riders on that general routing, about Saturday through Tuesday of Rally week.

"travel'n" John

Expo Grounds Visit

I had a chance to ride around inside the Expo Park grounds today. WOW. What a neat place. Trees and green grass everywhere. Plenty of shade trees to relax or camp under. All roads even the small ones are paved and appear to be well taken care of. It has a lot of similarities to the MN State Fair grounds except more trees. All the grass sites appear to be flat so no sliding out of your tent. Also guessing the RV parking should not have to be in a dusty area like in Minnesota. There was an area I could not get in to but probably more the rodeo grounds based on seeing at a distance.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    I had a chance to ride around inside the Expo Park grounds today. WOW. What a neat place. Trees and green grass everywhere. Plenty of shade trees to relax or camp under. All roads even the small ones are paved and appear to be well taken care of. It has a lot of similarities to the MN State Fair grounds except more trees. All the grass sites appear to be flat so no sliding out of your tent. Also guessing the RV parking should not have to be in a dusty area like in Minnesota. There was an area I could not get in to but probably more the rodeo grounds based on seeing at a distance.

Hope you put up your tent to reserve the best site! You can never be too early on these things!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    Thanks Darrell.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My recommendation for the Going to the Sun road is to always take the free shuttle (before or after you ride it on your motobike). That way you get to see all the stuff you missed!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    Is this official??

Joe
    It better be. We're booked

Rooms at Lebanon filled up fast and there are only a couple of walking distance hotels in Great Falls. Rates will likely go up as well once word gets out. Great destination, and we need another trip out west.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    It better be. We're booked
    Me too. Locked in yesterday.

Joe
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'