Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 MOA Rally at Montana ExpoPark in Great Falls, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    This is great.

Honestly, I feel we need to amplify this practice of bringing in new people, training them and giving them the reins so that key positions in the rally organization are not monopolized by just a few people.

Ian
    I agree 100%! Fresh faces bring new energy to the organization and the rally.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    I agree 100%! Fresh faces bring new energy to the organization and the rally.
    They can come in with the confidence of being backed up by a deep knowledge pool.

Huh; What?

Sample of what weather is possible..... Today, first day of summer, temperature at 0600 hrs. was 31 degrees F. We are about 80 miles south of Great Falls and 900 feet higher in elevation. There was fresh snow on the Elkhorn Mountains down to around 6,500 feet.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Sample of what weather is possible..... Today, first day of summer, temperature at 0600 hrs. was 31 degrees F. We are about 80 miles south of Great Falls and 900 feet higher in elevation. There was fresh snow on the Elkhorn Mountains down to around 6,500 feet.
    Oh, so, it might not be too hot at the rally in 2020. But then again, it might be. Hard to tell a month in advance, let alone a year. But I do know it will be nice in Fargo in 2021.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Kevin, is that typical for this time of year?

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Kevin, is that typical for this time of year?

Pete
    No. Typical is highs in the 70’s and lows in the 40’s, but weather on the front range of the Rockies is apt to be volatile.
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl

I am from the real Fargo! The one in ND!

I ride out west every year, usually the middle of July. I have ridden up Beartooth Pass while it was snowing. 25 degrees going over the Big Horn mountains and 100 degree ten miles later on the plains. The weather is not very predictable in the elevations. Going To The Sun and Beartooth Pass are often closed until late June. A couple years ago the top of Beartooth was covered in snow. The parking lot at the summit had three feet on snow on it in mid July. 25 degrees and 35 MPH winds at the top, it was just like home in January!

As for riding gear, bring everything! Not unusual to see temps from freezing to 100F. Rain, snow, blistering sun, they have it all!

Annie and I rode the Going to the Sun Road today. We were up in the Kalispell and learned that the road had just opened. This was our third ride on the road since we moved to Montana eight years ago and is likely our last. The Going to the Sun Road is wonderful, but crowds have made it unbearable. Bumper to bumper traffic, people who think it is okay to drive at 10 MPG (limit is 25), people who think stopping in the road to take pictures is okay (the people in the 20 cars behind them won't mind) and people who are terrified while driving near a rock wall or cliff all combine to make the ride an ordeal. Today the ride was particularly unpleasant because there was a steady rain for the entire ride and most of the ride on the western slope was in a cloud (hence no pictures).

My advice for those who plan to ride the road: Ride east to west. There seems to be less traffic in that direction because there are fewer places to camp or lodge on the east side. Start early... very early, first light early. Bring a 55 gallon drum of patience. Annie does not suffer fools and today I relearned why one should not ever buy a woman a gun... she was one pissed lady.

We are a day-ride away from Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. Both are becoming intolerable due to the summer crowds and the rude behavior of people. We are fortumate to be able to visit Yellowstone in the early spring and fall when there are few people. In the summer both parks are reflections of the cesspools that are modern American cities.

---KLH
    Last edited by akbeemer; 06-24-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl

I think thats good advice.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Much appreciate your perspective and advice Kevin. I'm wondering though, did you folks just suffer the 1st day of through opening "extra" chaos?

I believe that with our dates of the Great Falls Rally, many will be east to west through the Park... and it likely will be Sunday June 28th, day of rally departure.

Mostly because, those out riding/traveling for the event the preceding weekend (near your date yesterday)... cannot assure the road is open by then!

There are two other viable choices that should result in more pleasant travel...

1. If Eastbound for the ExpoPark: "Hope" to ride over/through possibly Monday 6/22...better yet, Tuesday or Wednesday of Rally Week.

2. If Westbound after Rally: Lag around and stay on the East side (Glacier/Waterton) Sunday... then cross through Monday OR... on a weekday.

"travel'n" John

We are a day-ride away from Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. Both are becoming intolerable due to the summer crowds and the rude behavior of people. We are fortumate to be able to visit Yellowstone in the early spring and fall when there are few people. In the summer both parks are reflections of the cesspools that are modern American cities.

---KLH
    I feel your pain. Here in UT we have 5 national parks. Two—Zions and Arches—have become all but impossible to enjoy due to the overwhelming crush of tourists and vehicles, especially the tour busses disgorging reams of passengers. Our local club used to enjoy spring or fall campouts at those locations but had to give up on them years ago due to the overcrowding. Arches now routinely has vehicles lined up for over a quarter-mile waiting to enter the park, and there are plans to extend space for the line. Zions bars private vehicle entry and requires parking outside the park and riding a shuttle bus into the park.

Since US2 bypasses Glacier around the south end, my prediction is that you’ll eventually see a Zions-style bussing solution applied there. And Yellowstone, with it’s flow-through traffic, is just a hopeless case unless some new bypass routes are created.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I've always had the best rides over Going to the Sun later in the fall when the crowds have died down. Early morning is still the best time to get on it as even then it gets busier later in the day. Unfortunately, this will not help those wishing to enjoy it during the rally.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Since US2 bypasses Glacier around the south end, my prediction is that you’ll eventually see a Zions-style bussing solution applied there.
    If we every go back to Glacier I would like to take one of the old tour buses.

P8210026.JPG
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Washington DC to Great Falls

After the fun ride from DC to Nashville almost entirely on back roads, and the fun there getting into my first MOA rally since Charleston, WV, and the not-miserable (wasn't quite fun but was a ton better than sitting in an office chair) ride home mostly on Interstate through the hills/mountains of KY and WV, I'm starting to fantasize about going to the rally in Great Falls. No way I can swing the time to ride out and back (work, family, etc...and to be honest slogging for hours on end to cover over 2000 miles each way is not my idea of good fun), so I'm contemplating a ship/fly/ride scenario. Got family in Colorado Springs, which would make a really fun 3-4 days riding up to the rally).

Might consider a rental somewhere under a 500-800 miles, if one exists.

Still early but it's going to be fun way to keep warm this winter.