Thread: The 2020 MOA Rally at Montana ExpoPark in Great Falls, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    Is this official??

Joe
    Yes.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Yes Joe, it's officially time to realize the next gig is going to be a big deal... under the Big Sky!

While the Tennessee offering being close to home, never seemed like a "trip"... Montana offers that in spades.

Myself, I spent the better part of my ride home thinking of June 2020.
    And I'm hoping there is a lot of things we the MOA can do better at the ExpoPark; as always... time will tell.

Was hoping to talk seriously with a FEW representatives from Great Falls and the Facility itself, but seems the Visitor Department sent just one guy!
    He was overmatched and under prepared. Maps were too big of an expense to bulk ship... so he had a sign-up list for mailing by Friday afternoon running.
    The very nice MOA/Great Falls Ride Card was nice though.
    However the brochure "Art and Adventure" never mentions or shows the Expo on the map inside... a rather auspicious start for their marketing for us.
    I do however possess the name and address of 5 breweries and know of a live mermaid show at the Sip'nDip Lounge; so there you go!

"travel'n" John
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 07-19-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spell'n

If I go to this, it would be my second rally ever and Id have to fly in for it. Would like to rent a bike to ride around while Im there. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Eagle Rider

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    If I go to this, it would be my second rally ever and Id have to fly in for it. Would like to rent a bike to ride around while Im there. Any tips on this would be appreciated.
    I have no personal experience with motorcycle rentals in Great Falls, but I googled it. Eagle Rider is a nationwide broker of motorcycle rentals. They have an outlet in Belgrade and in Billings Montana. But I'm pretty sure the brand they offer is Harley Davidson. You wouldn't be the first to ride a HD to the MOA rally.

Good luck, I hope to see you there.

Hank Pfister
    Bent Mtn. VA
    2014 R1200GS
    1973 R75/5
    1984 R100/Dnepr
    Hank Pfister, Bent Mtn. VA
    pfestus1@yahoo.com
    2014 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5, 1984 R100/Dnepr.
    www.twinvalleyriders.org

Who is the Chair and co-Chair? Never too early to Volunteer.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Becky and Cory Smith. They have been the Go-Fers Chairs the past few years. They'll do a fantastic job as their planning began some time ago.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    Becky and Cory Smith. They have been the Go-Fers Chairs the past few years. They'll do a fantastic job as their planning began some time ago.
    This is great.

Honestly, I feel we need to amplify this practice of bringing in new people, training them and giving them the reins so that key positions in the rally organization are not monopolized by just a few people.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Yes Joe, it's officially time to realize the next gig is going to be a big deal... under the Big Sky!

While the Tennessee offering never seemed like a "trip"... Montana offers that in spades.

"travel'n" John
    For us, coming from the Texas Big Bend Lebanon was a "trip". But Great Falls is 25% further so it will be a trip too. That's what our motorcycles are for.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Great Falls is two gallons of gas away.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Going-to-the-Sun Road

In 2020, the park in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration will award a contract to finalize the multi-year rehabilitation work on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Final work includes repairs to some masonry features, additional log rail replacement, and signing improvements. The road will open around 6/22 or later if needed. The road could be closed during the Rally.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisi...t/gtsrinfo.htm

There is no set date for the road to open. Typically the road has been fully open in late June or early July. Closing portions of Going-to-the-Sun Road is also weather dependent.

They sometimes open a portion of the road earlier.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

We were there last year around the 15th of June. The road was NOT open all the way they did just break through the snow but the railings we're not in place. The road was open to a point but they have a well organized manner of fences to keep you out. If we had our bicycles we could have gone further but not in a motor vehicle.

We stayed on the east side of the park and had to go all the way around outside the park to get to the Kalispell (busy) side.

I worked with a guy who worked on the movie Fargo and he said they were doing unit moves north every day chasing snow.

If I end up going to the rally instead of Siberia I should be a shoe in for long distance male.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Planning this ride is going to be a challenge and subject to the whims of the weather gods. I'd really like to ride from Vermont to Monument Valley, then cut an arc through the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Utah parks, over to the central Cal coastline and up to the Straits of Juan de Fuca, cross the Puget Sound, across the Northern Cascades and pass through Glacier NP. I suspect leaving in late May will mean dealing with strong storms across the Plains and probable snow closures at higher elevations. On the way home Beartooth Pass will likely see snow, the Black Hills and Badlands will be wet, and the Midwest will be flooded.

But it will surely be an adventure!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    This would allow you an attractive offering: Ride Adventures Rentals & Tours, Bend OR... KTM & Honda (road & dual-sport bikes)

You could get (and need) the full week bike discount and probably save coin flying into Portland. A very fine round trip could be ridden from there!

"travel'n" John