Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 MOA Rally at Montana ExpoPark in Great Falls, Montana

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up I have mail...

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Yes Joe, it's officially time to realize the next gig is going to be a big deal... under the Big Sky!

While the Tennessee offering being close to home, never seemed like a "trip"... Montana offers that in spades.

Myself, I spent the better part of my ride home thinking of June 2020.
    And I'm hoping there is a lot of things we the MOA can do better at the ExpoPark; as always... time will tell.

Was hoping to talk seriously with a FEW representatives from Great Falls and the Facility itself, but seems the Visitor Department sent just one guy!
    He was overmatched and under prepared. Maps were too big of an expense to bulk ship... so he had a sign-up list for mailing by Friday afternoon running.
    The very nice MOA/Great Falls Ride Card was nice though.
    However the brochure "Art and Adventure" never mentions or shows the Expo on the map inside... a rather auspicious start for their marketing for us.
    I do however possess the name and address of 5 breweries and know of a live mermaid show at the Sip'nDip Lounge; so there you go!

"travel'n" John

The Montana State Map has arrived, along with a friendly welcoming note from the Business Development Director
    of the Great Falls Montana Tourism Office, Kristin Dayao.
    Their host in Lebanon, Mr. Jake Bash, certainly conveyed our enthusiasm and attendance expected for 2020, in returning to basecamp!
    And well depicted on the fantastic document: a really nice map of Great Falls AND the ExpoPark location.
    Leave the Sip'nDip westbound, cross the Central Ave bridge and turn right!
    Other neat stuff shown for example; a good map of Yellowstone NP (WY) ???
    The ghost & mining towns in MT and the location where Gen. Custer was caught with his pants down by Sitting Bull.
    If arriving from the east, or FARGO (777miles)...
    via the Lewis & Clark route/trail, turn right on 3rd St NW at the Post Office, look for ExpoPark about 3 miles along west bank of the Missouri River.
    Yeah... it's a nice map.
    Thanks www.VisitGreatFallsMontana.org
    See you at the mermaid show!

"travel'n" John
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 07-19-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Mehrten
    Wanda and I have reservations at the Spring Hill Suites!

With the BMW MOA discount (didn't know there was one until I asked) a King with river view and balcony was $290 for two days. Not bad.

Just like an MOA Weekend Getaway only with a lot more people and a bunch of vendors!

Unless the weather stops us, we are planning on riding the "Sun" road in Glacier NP. Seems June's weather in the park can be finicky so we'll see how it goes.

We have pretty much locked in our route. As the 50 week window moves and reservations open up, we have all but two nights booked.

Looking forward to it!

35 degrees northwest of Helena this morning; Great Falls showing 43. It is very unlikely that campers at the rally will find it too hot for sleeping.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I have not read the entire thread so maybe this has been asked. Will there be RV camping available? By the time of the rally, my wife and I should be about 6 months in to full time RVing and hauling the bikes where we go. As long as we haven't done away with one another. We were planning on going up near Kalispell and maybe up to Revelstoke as well so adding this is would fit right into the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by grabcon View Post
    I have not read the entire thread so maybe this has been asked. Will there be RV camping available? By the time of the rally, my wife and I should be about 6 months in to full time RVing and hauling the bikes where we go. As long as we haven't done away with one another. We were planning on going up near Kalispell and maybe up to Revelstoke as well so adding this is would fit right into the plans.
    Canít answer definitively on the RV parking but it would be a first if they didnít offer that at the rally.

What I *can* tell you definitively is that if you go to Revelstoke you should take the short drive over to Sorrento, BC and take in the Dreamcycle Motorcycle Museum. Well worth the trip, and they have a great little restaurant/coffee shop attached.

Happy travels,

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Looking at the satellite view of the park you can see RVs parked in the NW Corner... but not many of them. Perhaps a part of the huge paved areas will also be used.

This venue looks like it might be pretty tight for all forms of camping. I wonder if there are plans to have access to the West Bank Park, which is right across the (four-lane) street.

Google Maps shows what appears to be shaded RV sites along the west side of the park.
    Ron R

RV Camping

Just so you all know, RV spots are part of the criteria for selecting a future National site!
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Just so you all know, RV spots are part of the criteria for selecting a future National site!
    IIRC, we had about 60 RV's at SLC in 2017. It sure is nice to have A/C for an afternoon nap and having the dog along.

See you in Great Falls.
    Ron R

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Canít answer definitively on the RV parking but it would be a first if they didnít offer that at the rally.

What I *can* tell you definitively is that if you go to Revelstoke you should take the short drive over to Sorrento, BC and take in the Dreamcycle Motorcycle Museum. Well worth the trip, and they have a great little restaurant/coffee shop attached.

Happy travels,

DeVern
    This will be my first MOA Rally. Looking forward to it.
    I took the liberty of calling the venue and asked about RV camping. I was told the facility can provide RV camping but I was instructed to direct my questions towards the organizers.

Billy

I plan on attending as long as a medical adventure doesn't keep me off my bike.

I've been having a lot of medical adventures lately...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Hugs!

Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Hugs!

Voni
    Thanks!

I had an atrial fibrillation ablation done. I got tired of arriving at rallies with A-fib going on. A complication I got from the procedure is a "pseudoaneurysm," a lump caused by bleeding at the site of the insertion of the heart catheters. Got another ultrasound coming up with possible surgery to follow...Another surgery means no riding for a while, but as far as complications go, this one isn't too bad.

Prior to all of that was yet another basal cell skin cancer surgery. Surgery always results in swelling and soreness, which again prevented me from wearing a helmet for several weeks, and of course no riding...

Left Coast Rider
    Would there happen to be a list of hotels in the area? I'm planning on leading a contingent of Canucks from the west coast to sample the local brews.