Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: The 2020 MOA Rally at Montana ExpoPark in Great Falls, Montana

I was beyond excited when I found out the rally was coming to MT. This would be the first national rally my wife will actually attend with me.

But things will really really have to change before we attend. I hope and pray things work out, but I'm not holding my breath. The good news is that we have 3 months to play with before the rally. Hopefully C-19 is under wraps by then.

If this rally were to be called off, how much time prior to the rally would that decision have to be made?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was beyond excited when I found out the rally was coming to MT. This would be the first national rally my wife will actually attend with me.

But things will really really have to change before we attend. I hope and pray things work out, but I'm not holding my breath. The good news is that we have 3 months to play with before the rally. Hopefully C-19 is under wraps by then.

If this rally were to be called off, how much time prior to the rally would that decision have to be made?
    Based on a message earlier on the Forum from Ted Moyer, the BMW MOA Executive Director, any decision to cancel will likely be made in May at the latest. Such a decision may be made by the MOA, or it could be made for us by Montana or Great Falls authorities through prohibitions of groups beyond a certain size.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    I suggest that if this event falls through because of the circumstances that we reschedule there as soon as possible in spite of our goals for different regions, based on the extrordinary hospitality the City and Staff at Expo Park has shown over the last year.A contigency plan I am sure is in the making!

Undoubtably a superb idea!

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    I suggest that if this event falls through because of the circumstances that we reschedule there as soon as possible in spite of our goals for different regions, based on the extrordinary hospitality the City and Staff at Expo Park has shown over the last year.A contigency plan I am sure is in the making!

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Undoubtably a superb idea!
    Absolutely!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Annie and I are working with the Director of ExpoPark, Susan, in our capacity as Co-Chairs of the Chartered Club Camping Committee. Susan is being very helpful and is certainly aware that we are coming, excited about having a group like ours and committed to making our experience a good one. When we discovered that the large tents that clubs like to have as gathering places in their assigned camping areas are in short supply in Great Falls, Susan immediately volunteered to get tents from Missoula (170 miles away) shipped to ExpoPark and erected by her staff..... all at less than half the price of getting one of the few tents available in GF. We are confident that the ExpoPark folks will do their best to accomodate us.

As you undoubtably know by the focus and attention on all things Great Falls and Montana in general... We are eager to enjoy the riding and hospitality!

And we are grateful to have both of you in the region, coordinating and working on Rally logistics on our behalf; Thank You Kevin & Annie.

"travel'n" John
    ...one who hopes to arrive in Great Falls someday as a Safety Co-Chair.

March 25, 2020
    Thank you for registering for the 2020 National Rally in Great Falls. I know you are ready to Saddle Up & Ride and put the current health crisis in your rear-view mirror. Our Rally Team is working hard to make sure we are ready for you in Great Falls and I want to share with you some thoughts about the National Rally.
    Obviously, there is much uncertainty about the future. The health situation is very serious and of great concern to our members. I recognize the severity of your concerns for your health, safety and future travel plans. I want you to know that we will take every precaution to deliver a safe and healthy rally in June. If the situation forces alternate plans or makes a safe environment impossible, we will adjust so that our members can feel secure in the Rally environment. As of today, we have every intention of putting on a great show for you June 25-28, 2020 and we are working hard to make that a reality.
    Currently, I expect to have a much clearer picture of the future by May 15. I understand that your personal situation or tolerances may not allow you to wait for a decision. If that is the case for you, our refund policy allows for a full refund of your registration fees before May 25. If you need to make a decision today for your own peace of mind, please contact the member services team at (864) 438-0962 or membership@bmwmoa.org and we will be glad to accommodate you.
    I want to assure you that we will make the best decisions about the Rally with our members health and financial well being in mind. The MOA has always been about community, friendship and fellowship and our greatest responsibility at the Rally is to keep our friends and family healthy and safe.
    For all of us, I am hopeful for good news in the coming weeks. Until then, please be safe and stay healthy. I look forward to seeing all of you at the National!
    Sincerely,

Ted Moyer
    Executive Director
    BMW Motorcycle Owners of America
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    March 25, 2020
    Thank you for registering for the 2020 National Rally in Great Falls. I know you are ready to Saddle Up & Ride and put the current health crisis in your rear-view mirror. Our Rally Team is working hard to make sure we are ready for you in Great Falls and I want to share with you some thoughts about the National Rally.
    I, and about 5,000 of my closest friends, have our fingers crossed.

Post Important Crosspost (#1) from the C-19 Thread...

...Thoughts from the legendary MADDOG himself:

Based on past practices, I'm .99 positive that contracts are in place for 2021.
    Let's hope they give me the biergarten again.

MADDOG BG Chair. The beer must flow!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Post Important Crosspost (#2) from the C-19 Thread...

...The response from our esteemed colleague GREGFEELER:

Speaking as a former Board Director and club President for over four years, as well as Rally Chair for Salt Lake, I can assure you that the contract for the 2021 rally has been in place for some time. Although the contracts vary significantly, all require substantial per-payment starting with execution of the agreement. Typically, 60% to 100% of the fee is paid in advance of the rally. There are incidental costs for services used during the rally which are only known after the event and paid then. Provisions for cancellation also vary and I have no idea what they are for Great Falls, but believe it's entirely possible that some kind of "act of God" provision *may* come into play if the mandated lock downs and travel prohibitions continue. If so, this could be of great financial importance to the club.

The way these agreements work, there is no viable option to just push out Great Falls a year and then continue on with the zone rotation schedule. However, it may be possible to reschedule Great Falls for the next western zone rally in three years. Under a situation like this the attitude of the site operators combined with the contract provisions determine what can or can not be worked out. The back end process for securing a rally site are far more complex in many cases than you might assume, so it follows that cancelling a rally will have many moving parts. For those anxious to have the club cancel Great Falls, please give Ted Moyer, our Executive Director, and the Board of Directors time to do their jobs and make the best decision to the extent that such a decision is theirs to make and not made for them by third parties.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS