Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1628

Thread: THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

  1. #1561
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I was the BMW MOA President when the Kiltmeister pitched the Trenton Rally to the Board. After all the whining from a couple of people about vendors can't come and folks with DUI convictions can't come, and folks can't bring their guns we promptly and with enthusiasm approved Trenton as the rally site. That is one of our decisions of which I am most proud. I would love to go back to an International Rally in Canada, but the same DUI and other comments come up every time it is mentioned, it seems.

    There is a process for getting permission to enter Canada with relatively minor criminal convictions on one's record. Given a year's notice a person with a DUI and no other convictions has a good chance of being able to attend.
    I like to think that with the US/Canada border there is a process (in Canada that would be PROcess with a long "O") for most things. It's usually just a matter of paperwork and patience. I figured it was probably the same with minor criminal items but never had a personal need to check.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 25 years off I finally got back to riding before I turned age 50! Enjoying exploring the roads of Utah and inter-mountain west on my 2017 F700gs.
    MOA#212743

  2. #1562
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    1,105

    Lightbulb Tires Purchase & Install at Great Falls

    I don't know anything about the issues, but their appears to be a significant development regarding vendors providing tire purchase & install.

    As learned from watching MOA Great Falls promo videos, it was stated that Michelin had worked out an agreement with Sports City Cycles
    (a multi-brand dealer in town) for Michelin customers who purchase tires at the Rally.

    In the video (5/10/21 Saddle Up & Ride with Rally Chairs)... it indicates they are taking reservations now.

    And tells me, it won't be business as usual.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

  3. #1563
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    I don't know anything about the issues, but their appears to be a significant development regarding vendors providing tire purchase & install.

    As learned from watching MOA Great Falls promo videos, it was stated that Michelin had worked out an agreement with Sports City Cycles
    (a multi-brand dealer in town) for Michelin customers who purchase tires at the Rally.

    In the video (5/10/21 Saddle Up & Ride with Rally Chairs)... it indicates they are taking reservations now.

    And tells me, it won't be business as usual.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  4. #1564
    How about Dunlop, or Continental or Metzeler? Or Shinko or others?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  5. #1565
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    Interesting there will not be tire changes on site this year.
    Cory said Michelin is working with a local shop. I would guess riders can order other brands when they order their tire??
    Drive through registration does not sound very handy especially if you're not preregistered.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #1566
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,452
    IMHO it would be best to leave home with a fresh set of tires and not have to worry about replacing them. The last thing I want to do is waste half a day or more waiting for new ones to be mounted rather than exploring the area... Just my 0.02cts YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  7. #1567
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    IMHO it would be best to leave home with a fresh set of tires and not have to worry about replacing them. The last thing I want to do is waste half a day or more waiting for new ones to be mounted rather than exploring the area... Just my 0.02cts YMMV
    I figured this year might be different regarding tires so I purchased a set from a local bike shop and will have them mounted a week from today.

    Any chance of stocking Coors Edge non-alcohol beer? Some of us avoid alcohol for various reasons. Coors Edge is by far the best NA beer I have tried.

    Thanks,

    Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  8. #1568
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    IMHO it would be best to leave home with a fresh set of tires and not have to worry about replacing them. The last thing I want to do is waste half a day or more waiting for new ones to be mounted rather than exploring the area... Just my 0.02cts YMMV

    In my opinion this is your best option. Even under normal (pre-COVID) conditions we would expect a smaller-than-average vendor attendance. Historically, western rallies have smaller attendance than mid-west or eastern rallies. Some, like the two Redmond and Salem, had particularly good locations within 500 miles of two or more large population centers.

    Great Falls is about as remote a rally as the club has had in many years. Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years. Of the major population centers closet to Great Falls, only Boise (749,000 metro area), Spokane (574,00 metro area), and Salt Lake (1,169,000 metro area) are not much over, or less than, 500 miles away. Additonally, it's a long way north for a lot of our members.

    GF to Portland: 710 miles
    GF to Seattle: 640
    GF to Denver: 770

    GF to Salt Lake: 570
    GF to Boise: 575
    GF to Spokane: 365

    That is long setup for my point that in part due to Great Falls' location, and in part due to the ongoing COVID situation, I expect to see a drop in vendor attendance, especially relative to what I expect will be a good rider attendance. So, I think we should support those vendors who do show up, but have a good plan B for anything you deem critical, like tires, oil changes, etc.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  9. #1569
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Craftsbury, Vermont
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    ...Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years.
    I'm really surprised by that! With my blinders in place I've always looked at the rallies as reasons to travel not only to faraway places, but to do so in the most meandering fashion possible. Those I've met at the rallies seem to feel the same way unless work placed constraints on them.

    Are the data granular enough to distinguish between retired and currently employed members when it comes to distance?

    Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

    http://travelswithbarley.com/

  10. #1570
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I figured this year might be different regarding tires so I purchased a set from a local bike shop and will have them mounted a week from today.

    Any chance of stocking Coors Edge non-alcohol beer? Some of us avoid alcohol for various reasons. Coors Edge is by far the best NA beer I have tried.

    Thanks,

    Harry
    I'd bring a 6/12 pack with just in case...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  11. #1571
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    In my opinion this is your best option. Even under normal (pre-COVID) conditions we would expect a smaller-than-average vendor attendance. Historically, western rallies have smaller attendance than mid-west or eastern rallies. Some, like the two Redmond and Salem, had particularly good locations within 500 miles of two or more large population centers.

    Great Falls is about as remote a rally as the club has had in many years. Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years. Of the major population centers closet to Great Falls, only Boise (749,000 metro area), Spokane (574,00 metro area), and Salt Lake (1,169,000 metro area) are not much over, or less than, 500 miles away. Additonally, it's a long way north for a lot of our members.

    GF to Portland: 710 miles
    GF to Seattle: 640
    GF to Denver: 770

    GF to Salt Lake: 570
    GF to Boise: 575
    GF to Spokane: 365

    That is long setup for my point that in part due to Great Falls' location, and in part due to the ongoing COVID situation, I expect to see a drop in vendor attendance, especially relative to what I expect will be a good rider attendance. So, I think we should support those vendors who do show up, but have a good plan B for anything you deem critical, like tires, oil changes, etc.
    I agree that the vendors who do make the effort to show up deserve support by the attendees but if 300+ riders need tires, I doubt that they could handle that. I remember one time at the TOR rally in Paonia that the tire guys couldn't handle the volume due to 900 riders attending which was the highest number ever.
    I forgot the exact year either '04 or 05?
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  12. #1572
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event...
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I'm really surprised by that! With my blinders in place I've always looked at the rallies as reasons to travel not only to faraway places, but to do so in the most meandering fashion possible.
    Not surprising at all... especially for younger members with day jobs and families. I think this is why we generally have ~20% of our membership coming to any one particular rally.

    Personally, throughout my career, I could go to far-away rallies because all of my international clients took the whole summer off, so work volume was lower and my team could handle the business (and... my wife let me!), although I spent significant time on the phone/computer. I called them "workvations." But if the rally were to be in the fall, I never would have been able to attend. However, I don't see myself as a reflection of most members' situation.

    It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators or retired people and the new faces are generally from somewhere nearby. It was a great member benefit, imo, to have friends located all over the country!

    Ian

  13. #1573
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Interesting there will not be tire changes on site this year.
    Cory said Michelin is working with a local shop. I would guess riders can order other brands when they order their tire??
    Drive through registration does not sound very handy especially if you're not preregistered.

    My "guess" is much different Lee.

    I feel Michelin is bringing their big vendor display and a truck load of tires.

    And they (Michelin) worked out a business deal with SCC in town... to handle "the Michelin customer" installs.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

  14. #1574
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators or retired people and the new faces are generally from somewhere nearby. It was a great member benefit, imo, to have friends located all over the country!

    Ian
    I was odd man out. From 1984 until 2004 I had a full time job, not a lot of vacation, and still made it to every BMW MOA Rally except Moodus the year I changed jobs and had zero accrued vacation. Then I retired and kept right on rallying.

    Voni has been to every one since 1984.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  15. #1575
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

    It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators or retired people
    Ian
    The teacher thing used to come up a lot when it was mentioned we should move the rally to a different month than July.
    I never saw proof that a lot of the rally goers were teachers.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 219
    Last Post: 02-04-2021, 10:48 PM
  2. Ride to Great Falls
    By Ragman2 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-14-2020, 10:24 PM
  3. Great Falls Rally?
    By roadcrave in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2020, 10:45 AM
  4. When does the official schedule get released for 2020
    By rickshapiro in forum MOA Getaways and Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •