• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Becky and Cory Smith. They have been the Go-Fers Chairs the past few years. They'll do a fantastic job as their planning began some time ago.

Becky and Cory Smith. They have been the Go-Fers Chairs the past few years. They'll do a fantastic job as their planning began some time ago.

This is great. :thumb

Honestly, I feel we need to amplify this practice of bringing in new people, training them and giving them the reins so that key positions in the rally organization are not monopolized by just a few people.

Ian

Yes Joe, it's officially time to realize the next gig is going to be a big deal... under the Big Sky!

While the Tennessee offering never seemed like a "trip"... Montana offers that in spades.

<snip>

"travel'n" John

For us, coming from the Texas Big Bend Lebanon was a "trip". But Great Falls is 25% further so it will be a trip too. That's what our motorcycles are for.

Going-to-the-Sun Road

In 2020, the park in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration will award a contract to finalize the multi-year rehabilitation work on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Final work includes repairs to some masonry features, additional log rail replacement, and signing improvements. The road will open around 6/22 or later if needed. The road could be closed during the Rally.

We were there last year around the 15th of June. The road was NOT open all the way they did just break through the snow but the railings we're not in place. The road was open to a point but they have a well organized manner of fences to keep you out. If we had our bicycles we could have gone further but not in a motor vehicle.

We stayed on the east side of the park and had to go all the way around outside the park to get to the Kalispell (busy) side.

I worked with a guy who worked on the movie Fargo and he said they were doing unit moves north every day chasing snow.

If I end up going to the rally instead of Siberia I should be a shoe in for long distance male.

Planning this ride is going to be a challenge and subject to the whims of the weather gods. I'd really like to ride from Vermont to Monument Valley, then cut an arc through the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Utah parks, over to the central Cal coastline and up to the Straits of Juan de Fuca, cross the Puget Sound, across the Northern Cascades and pass through Glacier NP. I suspect leaving in late May will mean dealing with strong storms across the Plains and probable snow closures at higher elevations. On the way home Beartooth Pass will likely see snow, the Black Hills and Badlands will be wet, and the Midwest will be flooded.

But it will surely be an adventure!

Pete

If I go to this, it would be my second rally ever and I’d have to fly in for it. Would like to rent a bike to ride around while I’m there. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

This would allow you an attractive offering: Ride Adventures Rentals & Tours, Bend OR... KTM & Honda (road & dual-sport bikes)

You could get (and need) the full week bike discount and probably save coin flying into Portland. A very fine round trip could be ridden from there!

"travel'n" John

This is great. :thumb

Honestly, I feel we need to amplify this practice of bringing in new people, training them and giving them the reins so that key positions in the rally organization are not monopolized by just a few people.

Ian

I agree 100%! Fresh faces bring new energy to the organization and the rally.

Sample of what weather is possible..... Today, first day of summer, temperature at 0600 hrs. was 31 degrees F. We are about 80 miles south of Great Falls and 900 feet higher in elevation. There was fresh snow on the Elkhorn Mountains down to around 6,500 feet.

Sample of what weather is possible..... Today, first day of summer, temperature at 0600 hrs. was 31 degrees F. We are about 80 miles south of Great Falls and 900 feet higher in elevation. There was fresh snow on the Elkhorn Mountains down to around 6,500 feet.

Oh, so, it might not be too hot at the rally in 2020. But then again, it might be. Hard to tell a month in advance, let alone a year. But I do know it will be nice in Fargo in 2021. :)

Kevin, is that typical for this time of year?

Pete

I am from the real Fargo! The one in ND!

I ride out west every year, usually the middle of July. I have ridden up Beartooth Pass while it was snowing. 25 degrees going over the Big Horn mountains and 100 degree ten miles later on the plains. The weather is not very predictable in the elevations. Going To The Sun and Beartooth Pass are often closed until late June. A couple years ago the top of Beartooth was covered in snow. The parking lot at the summit had three feet on snow on it in mid July. 25 degrees and 35 MPH winds at the top, it was just like home in January!

As for riding gear, bring everything! Not unusual to see temps from freezing to 100F. Rain, snow, blistering sun, they have it all!

Annie and I rode the Going to the Sun Road today. We were up in the Kalispell and learned that the road had just opened. This was our third ride on the road since we moved to Montana eight years ago and is likely our last. The Going to the Sun Road is wonderful, but crowds have made it unbearable. Bumper to bumper traffic, people who think it is okay to drive at 10 MPG (limit is 25), people who think stopping in the road to take pictures is okay (the people in the 20 cars behind them won't mind) and people who are terrified while driving near a rock wall or cliff all combine to make the ride an ordeal. Today the ride was particularly unpleasant because there was a steady rain for the entire ride and most of the ride on the western slope was in a cloud (hence no pictures).

My advice for those who plan to ride the road: Ride east to west. There seems to be less traffic in that direction because there are fewer places to camp or lodge on the east side. Start early... very early, first light early. Bring a 55 gallon drum of patience. Annie does not suffer fools and today I relearned why one should not ever buy a woman a gun... she was one pissed lady.

We are a day-ride away from Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. Both are becoming intolerable due to the summer crowds and the rude behavior of people. We are fortumate to be able to visit Yellowstone in the early spring and fall when there are few people. In the summer both parks are reflections of the cesspools that are modern American cities.

---KLH

Last edited:
Back