Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1020

Thread: THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Several years ago the head of the NWS held a press conference in advance of a hurricane hitting the US. He was asked about the chances of the hurricane hitting a specific city. His response was that the chances of the city being hit were 50:50 and "that is what a billion dollars a year gets you."
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I find TV “weathermen” are really “weather personalities”. I put forth the if there was a three foot tall ugly troll that could predict the weather perfectly, they would still not be hired.
    It seems that they are all watching the same radar and it also seems they are all subscribed to the same weather service for the “details”.
    I would rather have better weather prognosticators than advice that “I will need a jacket this morning””. Who knows, maybe most of the people need the jacket advice
    I think it was Mr. Dylan that said “You don’t need a weatherman to tell which the wind blows”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I once ran into a USAF weather forecaster I knew who was going on and on about the great rainstorm we were having. I said to him, "You like rain?" He said, "No, I hate rain, I'm happy when my forecasts are correct!"

The best one is the forecast of 50% chance of rain. Imagine it, somebody's getting paid to say, "It might rain and it might not."
    '04 R1150R Rockster
    Bucyrus, OH
    USAF Retired

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Talking

I'll bet you in Gunnison CO that date;
    that within a few minutes of the first hour of the day OR moments before midnight as the day finished... it was about 67 and mostly cloudy.

Wherein... they didn't miss by much (at some point). Yeah, it's that hourly thing that is a problem. That and mountain conditions!
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Hey Lee, I actually rode on a bit of ice last week. Left my annual service a bit late....

All was well on the main roads, but the community centre around the corner has big trees around it, which block the sun.
    Rinty

Potomac, MT, -29.2 degrees last night.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Potomac, MT, -29.2 degrees last night.
    I assume that brass monkeys are extinct there?
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I assume that brass monkeys are extinct there?
    As are witch’s brassieres.

I may have to retract my claim about the -29 degrees in Potomac. Breaking news indicates the report was a claim made on Facebook and attributed to a private home weather station. I do not participate in The Facebook so the information is a second hand report of an alleged claim on Facebook that was attributed to a person who had a home weather station. Our dedicated team of fact checkers is on it....
    Last edited by akbeemer; Today at 05:37 AM.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I find TV “weathermen” are really “weather personalities”. I put forth the if there was a three foot tall ugly troll that could predict the weather perfectly, they would still not be hired.
    Same thing for news anchors
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    I'll bet you in Gunnison CO that date;
    that within a few minutes of the first hour of the day OR moments before midnight as the day finished... it was about 67 and mostly cloudy.

Wherein... they didn't miss by much (at some point). Yeah, it's that hourly thing that is a problem. That and mountain conditions!
    The weather can be difficult to predict in the Rockies.
    Sometimes you get lucky and get on the correct side of the mountain for good weather.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I may have to retract my claim about the -29 degrees in Potomac. Breaking news indicates the report was a claim made on Facebook and attributed to a private home weather station. I do not participate in The Facebook so the information is a second hand report of an alleged claim on Facebook that was attributed to a person who had a home weather station. Our dedicated team of fact checkers is on it....
    We have a similar but opposite problem here in southwest Texas. Somebody will have a thermometer laying on the pavement out in the sun or even inside their car and on a nice 95 degree day will report that it is 127 at their house. Then several people repeat that on their tweeters and pretty soon the county emergency services guy, recently retired from his job breaking beads at the tire shop, sends out a weather alert.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Hey Lee, I actually rode on a bit of ice last week. Left my annual service a bit late....

All was well on the main roads, but the community centre around the corner has big trees around it, which block the sun.
    A couple times we have ridden in snow where we left a track.
    We didn't like it
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    We have a similar but opposite problem here in southwest Texas. Somebody will have a thermometer laying on the pavement out in the sun or even inside their car and on a nice 95 degree day will report that it is 127 at their house. Then several people repeat that on their tweeters and pretty soon the county emergency services guy, recently retired from his job breaking beads at the tire shop, sends out a weather alert.
    Well, I can report that it was -13 at our place this morning. But all is not gloom and doom, temperatures will be in in the 40s and 50s the next ten days with lows around freezing or above. At least the great grasshopper plague of 2020 is over.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It seems that they are all watching the same radar and it also seems they are all subscribed to the same weather service for the “details”.
    I would rather have better weather prognosticators than advice that “I will need a jacket this morning””. Who knows, maybe most of the people need the jacket advice
    I think it was Mr. Dylan that said “You don’t need a weatherman to tell which the wind blows”.
    OM
    For over 30-yrs I worked next door to a highly ranked meterology school, in fact, the place that spawned Accuweather. In all those years, I never saw a stream of buxom, coiffed, small waisted females entering the building that housed the meteorology department. Based on this completely anecdotal observation, I really, really doubt the person on Channel X news has a meterology degree.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I may have to retract my claim about the -29 degrees in Potomac. Breaking news indicates the report was a claim made on Facebook and attributed to a private home weather station....
    So the social media disinformation problem has now spread to the weather reporting sector.

I have a relative who is a doomscroller and who sends us crazy e mails. Some folks get really distressed by this stuff.
    Rinty