• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Excellent response to the question from R65 Steve.

That was Page 92 of the Thread on 2/8/21 where Ted passed the "Saddle Up" news.

It helps if you give the Post number.
Not everyone uses the same number of posts per page setting.
For example, I only see 36 pages so far in this thread.

... Git-that response to the response better buddy! For the record: it was "my" Page ninety-one (#91) and Post #1354.

I'm still laughing that Greg indicates he has no "insider knowledge"!!!

Just 4 more months folks!

...Pie Road.

Thats right, Montana has pie!

And lot's of it, this according to a fine article by Wes Fleming in the Latest Rally News section attached to the Rally Web Page.

A comprehensive listing of locations, and the selections along the routes most of us will be traveling... with a few in Great Falls itself.

Yet another reason to Saddle Up & Ride... there's great Pie under the Big Sky.

"travel'n" John

... For more info and links to all the deliciousness, check out https://centralmontana.com/pie_trail/

True that. So, here's a link to a post in this thread that is a copy of Ted Moyer's message about the Great Falls Rally:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...alls-Thread)&p=1236716&viewfull=1#post1236716

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vJxEekI32hA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Things are coming along nicely:

Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine was endorsed on Friday by a panel of experts advising the Food and Drug Administration, clearing the last hurdle before a formal authorization expected on Saturday, according to two people familiar with the agency’s plans. The nation’s first shipments will go out in the days after that.

From https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus

Harry

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/health-canada-approves-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine

OTTAWA – Canada’s fledgling vaccine effort got another shot in the arm Friday with the approval of AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine and an announcement the first doses would arrive next week.

Health Canada approved AstraZeneca’s vaccine, which was developed with Oxford University in the United Kingdom, is the third candidate behind Pfizer and Moderna’s to get regulatory approval in Canada.

Harry

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/health-canada-approves-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine

OTTAWA – Canada’s fledgling vaccine effort got another shot in the arm Friday with the approval of AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine and an announcement the first doses would arrive next week.

Health Canada approved AstraZeneca’s vaccine, which was developed with Oxford University in the United Kingdom, is the third candidate behind Pfizer and Moderna’s to get regulatory approval in Canada.

Harry

Overall, the news is so much better than we had any right to expect just a year ago. But, it's also no time to blink.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst

The Best: The 2021 Rally goes on as planned.
I hope to be riding to Great Falls from South Carolina on a slightly longer route. I plan to head north to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and spend couple of days exploring, hit Hwy 2 and follow it across to Havre MT then down to the Rally. I will be camping at State Parks and National Forest campgrounds on the way.

The Worst: The 2021 Rally will be cancelled.
I plan to ride north to Minnesota by the Upper Peninsula, spend a few days exploring, ride Hwy 2 across to Lake Itasca State Park (MN), then follow the Great River Highway south. Camping at SPs and NF campgrounds on this route too.

I have never done either route and wonder if anyone has suggestions on things to see/do/eat along these paths. Comments will be appreciated.

I hope to be riding to Great Falls from South Carolina on a slightly longer route. I plan to head north to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and spend couple of days exploring, hit Hwy 2 and follow it across to Havre MT then down to the Rally. I will be camping at State Parks and National Forest campgrounds on the way.

I plan to ride north to Minnesota by the Upper Peninsula, spend a few days exploring, ride Hwy 2 across to Lake Itasca State Park (MN), then follow the Great River Highway south. Camping at SPs and NF campgrounds on this route too.

I have never done either route and wonder if anyone has suggestions on things to see/do/eat along these paths. Comments will be appreciated.

WOW ... both sound great! My wife and I did a road trip up through Michigan and the UP and then on to Itasca (Mississippi Headwaters) then south to South Dakota. The road along the shore of Superior is pretty. I would try and stop at the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum and then to Marquette ... something like this .... https://goo.gl/maps/7N1MY7LtiCg2tQMN9 including Copper Harbor. The road into Copper Harbor and then back are 2 really neat roads. The road back takes you up on a ridge where you can see the whole Copper Harbor area. It's Rt 26 into Copper Harbor and Brockway Mountain Drive on your way out. Tamarack Inn is a great lunch stop in Copper Harbor. From there Duluth is a must stop as it is one of my favorite cities. And of course Aerostich is there. Pretty sure this is the route we took out of Duluth and Ely was a really neat town and great lunch stop as well. https://goo.gl/maps/EokMPunn78dsTKPN9 You can follow Superior all the way to Silver Bay. If you dip far enough to northern Nebraska be sure to stop at Monowi the only town in the USA with a population of "1" !! Elsie is that one person and runs the little bar/cafe and is a great stop for lunch or a snack. She is a hoot! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monowi,_Nebraska And then in ND if you have the chance ride the Enchanted Highway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_Highway

Enjoy! I will be heading that way from North Carolina! See you on the road.

WOW ... both sound great! My wife and I did a road trip up through Michigan and the UP and then on to Itasca (Mississippi Headwaters) then south to South Dakota. The road along the shore of Superior is pretty. I would try and stop at the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum and then to Marquette ... something like this .... https://goo.gl/maps/7N1MY7LtiCg2tQMN9 including Copper Harbor. .

Good suggestion. We like the UP and like the north part the best.
You do have to work in and out to get next to the shore on the Superior side.

Good suggestion. We like the UP and like the north part the best.
You do have to work in and out to get next to the shore on the Superior side.

Yes for sure but once you get about 50 miles east of Marquette the road runs right along Superior.

I was not very impressed with Copper Harbor as a whole, but the roads in and out were killer. I kept telling my wife "I wish I was on the bike" and the lunch was really good! I was not aware that Copper Harbor was somewhat of a mountain bike mecca. We were there close to Labor Day and apparently the big Labor Day Weekend Mountain Bike Fest was cancelled but the folks still showed up! There were mountain bikes everywhere. And similar to the Virginia Creeper trail it appeared the local bike shops would haul bikers up to the top of that Brockway road and then they cruise down. It was pretty interesting.

Thanks for the ideas and good stops.

I have already planned on riding up to Copper Harbor and hope to get to the Porcupine Mountains to check out the Lake of the Clouds. Might have to try that Tamarac Inn if I hit it at lunch or dinner.
The stop at Aerostich is also planned. I've been to/through Duluth twice and both were at times when they were not open. I just bought my second Roadcrafter suit last year, but there are a few items that I want to try on before I buy. From there I will start my run west on Hwy 2. I have not been through the Dakotas or Montana yet so I am looking forward to seeing those areas. I am penciling in 3 days from Bemidji to Great Falls, so I shouldn't be too pushed.

Coming home the basic plan will be to drop down through eastern Idaho, into Wyoming at Jackson, ride down the Wind River Valley, head over to the South Dakota badlands, down into the Nebraska sandhills region, east to Iowa, down into Missouri and out around Hannibal, across southern Illinois and Indiana, through Kentucky and Tennessee, North Carolina and home. I plan to hit the back roads and state highways with the Interstate slogs as reserve in case I get behind in my "get home" date. All this is subject to change and modification.

Any ideas on what to see on the way back will be appreciated too. Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas and good stops.

I have already planned on riding up to Copper Harbor and hope to get to the Porcupine Mountains to check out the Lake of the Clouds. Might have to try that Tamarac Inn if I hit it at lunch or dinner.
The stop at Aerostich is also planned. I've been to/through Duluth twice and both were at times that they were not open. I just bought my second Roadcrafter suit last year, but there are a few items that I want to try on before I buy. From there I will start my run west on Hwy 2. I have not been through the Dakotas or Montana yet so I am looking forward to seeing those areas. I am penciling in 3 days from Bemidji to Great Falls, so I shouldn't be too pushed.

Coming home the basic plan will be to drop down through eastern Idaho, into Wyoming at Jackson, ride down the Wind River Valley, head over to the South Dakota badlands, down into the Nebraska sandhills region, east to Iowa, down into Missouri and out around Hannibal, across southern Illinois and Indiana, through Kentucky and Tennessee, North Carolina and home. I plan to hit the back roads and state highways with the Interstate slogs as reserve in case I get behind in my "get home" date. All this is subject to change and modification.

Any ideas on what to see on the way back will be appreciated too. Thanks!

Dave

Sounds great and very similar to my trip back to NC. Hope we cross paths on the road coffee or beer is on me !!

So just some random thoughts and POI's

- Medora ND and Teddy Roosevelt NP
- Spearfish Canyon Lodge in Spearfish SD
- Eastern Kansas and Flinthills scenic byway
- Big Brutus in eastern KS (just search for it)
- Beaumont Hotel in KS ...have not been bit is sure looks interesting and folks fly their planes in there
- Field of Dreams in Deyersville (??) Iowa near Davenport
- Iowa 80 ... worlds largest Truck stop ... very cool stop
- Matchstick Marvels in NE
- Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway .... lunch in Red Lodge at Red Lodge Cafe
- Cody WY Buffalo Bill Center ...have not been as it has never been open when I passed through
- Dornan's in Moose WY .... EXCELLENT lunch / dinner stop. Eat up on the deck and watch the Tetons and Snake River and planes flying into Jackson

Those are what immediately come to mind.

Enjoy!

Overall, the news is so much better than we had any right to expect just a year ago. But, it's also no time to blink.

I concur.
It was one year ago, March 1st, that Florida found it's first C-19 patient. Then mostly bad news for months after that.

Just last week my wife and I received our second dose Pfizer jab. The role-out here, seemed to come along quickly during February.

Yesterday the Governor announced immediate availability for age 50 and above, capturing some other important categories of our society.

I expect the tremendous progress will continue.

All-aboard for Great Falls!

Gotta blink sooner or later, otherwise the eyes will rot and the people will go blind. The body may live, but will be greatly diminished and be forced to rely on assistance for its every need.

(I thought I would latch on to that analogy path and drive it out to its final destiny.)

You have already gotten some great suggestions. I would add the Northern Great Lakes Visitors Center just west of Ashland on US 2. It is a very interesting site and I stop every time I go past it.

Thanks Blackfriar, I did not know about NGL Visitors Center. It looks like a good stop and right off Hwy 2 so it is easily accessible: I'll put this one on my list.

Disappointing News...

And here we go again, maybe. They didn't blink... they canceled.

The mid-June CHIEF JOSEPH RALLY in Oregon, that was scheduled immediately before Montana's Great Falls National.

Is CANCELED for 2021, according to the Club website announcement.

That was a premier lead-in (week-end before) Club Rally, many travelers were planning for.
Another opportunity eliminated by COVID concerns.

Last edited:
Back