• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Any idea why it is now called the the "BMW MOA National Rally"? All the previous ones I attended were international rallies.

View attachment 83449

My 2020 confirm says National Rally

My 2017 confirm says International Rally

My 2018 confirm say National Rally

I missed 2019 :-(

I always referred to it as the National Rally but not sure what the official name was.

National or International

Memory a bit fuzzy but I remember seeing on events calendar in the past, two separate listings for MOA National and International rallies with same time, place and description.

I always thought "National" which is what it was called the first dozen or so I attended. Then "International" was used to recognize our many non-U.S. members. For several years I have just called it the BMW MOA Rally. You know: like the Kansas Rally, the Shakamak Rally, the Iowa Rally, the Sipapu Rally, etc.

I always thought "National" which is what it was called the first dozen or so I attended. Then "International" was used to recognize our many non-U.S. members. For several years I have just called it the BMW MOA Rally. You know: like the Kansas Rally, the Shakamak Rally, the Iowa Rally, the Sipapu Rally, etc.

And the Fargo Rally

And there was the Trenton, ON, rally, which I really liked. It's too bad we can't have more rallies in Canada. Their summer weather is usually milder.

Harry

And there was the Trenton, ON, rally, which I really liked. It's too bad we can't have more rallies in Canada. Their summer weather is usually milder.

Harry

I was the BMW MOA President when the Kiltmeister pitched the Trenton Rally to the Board. After all the whining from a couple of people about vendors can't come and folks with DUI convictions can't come, and folks can't bring their guns we promptly and with enthusiasm approved Trenton as the rally site. That is one of our decisions of which I am most proud. I would love to go back to an International Rally in Canada, but the same DUI and other comments come up every time it is mentioned, it seems.

The ExpoPark Rally Map... and the Great Falls Shuttle Route

Advising that recently, on the bmwmoa.org site Rally Page... under "About The Rally" and then "Rally Site Map"...
a nice downloadable and expanded product of Great Falls and the ExpoPark is available.

This includes the Rally's layout of functions and both the ExpoPark's Shuttle Route, plus the 2pm-10pm downtown Shuttle offering.

Always a good idea to orientate yourself with "at least" where the Entrance and Registration is.

And know your approach from within the Great Falls streets/traffic.

Avoid wandering aimlessly!

If you don’t know where you are going you can never be lost! Wandering aimlessly is the story of my life.

Glacier Timed Ticket: Tickets are not needed after 5pm, sunset is 9:42pm

For all that missed the web sign-up for the first 75% of the Timed Tickets, the fine print says that they are needed all day until 5 pm.

Sunset is at 9:42 pm (on June 24th) so enjoy the big riding with great golden hour light and skies after 5 pm.

Couple years ago while camping near the east side of Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, we showered on the west side and rode Trail Ridge Road back as the day was nearing sunset. EPIC.

For all that missed the web sign-up for the first 75% of the Timed Tickets, the fine print says that they are needed all day until 5 pm.

Sunset is at 9:42 pm (on June 24th) so enjoy the big riding with great golden hour light and skies after 5 pm.

Couple years ago while camping near the east side of Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, we showered on the west side and rode Trail Ridge Road back as the day was nearing sunset. EPIC.

Thank YOU! This is the best news yet!

My favorite ride on the Going to the Sun Highway started just at day break riding east to west. We passed one car and had the road entirely to ourselves! An experience I replay often from my mental storage.

Voni
sMiling

Good Information!
I could hardly believe the the seemingly early 5pm time, but sure enough... in the Frequently Asked Questions area of their website it's there.

Question #15 to be exact, says come and go without ticket between 5pm & 6am authorized.

I was the BMW MOA President when the Kiltmeister pitched the Trenton Rally to the Board. After all the whining from a couple of people about vendors can't come and folks with DUI convictions can't come, and folks can't bring their guns we promptly and with enthusiasm approved Trenton as the rally site. That is one of our decisions of which I am most proud. I would love to go back to an International Rally in Canada, but the same DUI and other comments come up every time it is mentioned, it seems.

As a Canadian expat now living deep in the USA since the early 90s, I have dealt with the gun issue in the past when going back via road trip to cross the border to visit. Some gun shops or gun clubs near the border on the US side will let you store your gun there for a fee before you cross. It was not a big deal in my experience and kept me compliant with the laws in both countries in which I am a citizen. Having grown up in a Canadian border town, I get the sensitivity as pretty well every single time we had a shooting in our city, it involved visiting Muricans with their illegally transported across the border firearm, meaning handguns which are very restricted in Canada.

Back in the early 90s I was a member of a gun club in Michigan and would cross the border weekly to go shooting outside Detroit with a trunk full of rifles/shotguns and ammo, NO handguns. Had the right paperwork so all was good going into the USA and back to Ontario, although the unarmed CDN customs folks seemed nervous when you mentioned guns. Funny, but in those days going into the USA the main thing they asked about was 1) Bringing any codeine aspirin with you? and 2) Do you have any Cuban cigars with you? Those were readily available on the Canadian side and hot commodities in the US. Fascinating to see what causes concern in one country compared to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

As a Canadian expat now living deep in the USA since the early 90s, I have dealt with the gun issue in the past when going back via road trip to cross the border to visit. Some gun shops or gun clubs near the border on the US side will let you store your gun there for a fee before you cross. It was not a big deal in my experience and kept me compliant with the laws in both countries in which I am a citizen. Having grown up in a Canadian border town, I get the sensitivity as pretty well every single time we had a shooting in our city, it involved visiting Muricans with their illegally transported across the border firearm, meaning handguns which are very restricted in Canada.

Back in the early 90s I was a member of a gun club in Michigan and would cross the border weekly to go shooting outside Detroit with a trunk full of rifles/shotguns and ammo, NO handguns. Had the right paperwork so all was good going into the USA and back to Ontario, although the unarmed CDN customs folks seemed nervous when you mentioned guns. Funny, but in those days going into the USA the main thing they asked about was 1) Bringing any codeine aspirin with you? and 2) Do you have any Cuban cigars with you? Those were readily available on the Canadian side and hot commodities in the US. Fascinating to see what causes concern in one country compared to the other.

There is a process for getting permission to enter Canada with relatively minor criminal convictions on one's record. Given a year's notice a person with a DUI and no other convictions has a good chance of being able to attend.

Back