• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My 2000 K1200RS is truly a fine classic motorcycle

Went for a short ride this morning on my 2000 K1200RS, maybe 50 miles, mostly back roads, some city streets, and a 4-mile stretch of interstate. I truly love riding this bike. I think it's beautiful. Sometimes I think about selling it and getting something newer, like a K1600GT, but I just don't want to jump from 630 lbs to 730 lbs. 630 lbs is heavy enough. It has 21K miles.

Now, if BMW were to come out with a K1600S, weighing somewhere about 680 lbs, I'm in! But I would have to keep this K1200RS.

ETA: I don't mean that "my" K1200RS is a classic. My K1200RS is rather ordinary. I meant "the" K1200RS is a classic.

IMG_1123_A.jpg

Last edited:
The K1200RS is a great bike for long trips.
I believe that. Is that you?

I've never taken a long trip on my K1200RS. A few day trips of about 300 miles each. Except for the weight, it's a wondrous bike. :thumb

No problem.
I always thought the Taxi color was popular.
I like the similar but darker Mandain color that had the Checker nickname.
I like that one too.

So when this R1100S popped up for sale, I had to buy it. Not quite the same but similar enough to make me smile.

IMG_0862_A.jpg

And then I saw this K1200S and had to get it too:

IMG_0893_A.jpg

Went for a short ride this morning on my 2000 K1200RS, maybe 50 miles, mostly back roads, some city streets, and a 4-mile stretch of interstate. I truly love riding this bike. I think it's beautiful. Sometimes I think about selling it and getting something newer, like a K1600GT, but I just don't want to jump from 630 lbs to 730 lbs. 630 lbs is heavy enough. It has 21K miles.

Now, if BMW were to come out with a K1600S, weighing somewhere about 680 lbs, I'm in! But I would have to keep this K1200RS.

ETA: I don't mean that "my" K1200RS is a classic. My K1200RS is rather ordinary. I meant "the" K1200RS is a classic.

View attachment 74179

I note that you also list owning a K1200S. I'm curious about how you would compare/contrast the two.

FWIW, I had similar thoughts during a recent ride on my K1200RS. What a great, under appreciated ride!

I note that you also list owning a K1200S. I'm curious about how you would compare/contrast the two.

FWIW, I had similar thoughts during a recent ride on my K1200RS. What a great, under appreciated ride!
I think the K1200S is better in almost every way than my K1200RS. Faster, quicker, lighter, better handling, as comfortable, smooth as glass engine.

I don't know about longevity of engines. A BMW mechanic told me that when they open up a brick K1200 engine with 100K miles, most parts still look new.

Last edited:
I think the K1200S is better in almost every way than my K1200RS. Faster, quicker, lighter, better handling, as comfortable, smooth as glass engine.

Both my wife and I had a K1200RS and K1300S.
I agree with all your points but I felt the K1200RS was a little smoother because the engine was rubber mounted.
Both of us thought the S was more fun because it was lighter and had more power.

Both my wife and I had a K1200RS and K1300S.
I agree with all your points but I felt the K1200RS was a little smoother because the engine was rubber mounted.
Both of us thought the S was more fun because it was lighter and had more power.
I still really, really like my K1200RS, despite its age. I'm also more fond of its lack of the digital cockpit crapola. But I'm an old guy . . . . :)

The darker Taxi Mandarin is unique I have one that I am taking to the Rally this year. Mine is a 2001 and just hit 90K I just got it last year and have all the original services records and the bill sale when it was purchased new. Look forward to meeting new people at the Rally if any are going.

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 68
Back