• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Memorial Day weekend traffic

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Just a friendly reminder to be extra vigilant and careful riding this extended weekend:wave

With the first big holiday of the summer, our local roads are already heavy with extra travelers and local graduations adding visitors.

Yesterday's ride to the bridge dedication in Kingsland,TX was quite a seasonal awareness wake up call. Turning out onto highways took longer and the train of vehicles was never ending. Lot's of rental RV's ( signage on vehicles) encountered along with the regular operators and trailered watercraft wandering over the centerline was a common sight. My normal swivel head was on overdrive.
Had kids running across the Slab crossing on the Llano river, oblivious to vehicles...ahhh, summertime is near:banghead

anyways, be alert!

The nice thing about being retired is that every week is holiday week for me, except holiday weeks. ( when all the idiots show up.)
I stay home, or take a ride in farm land. No city idiot wants to smell that.

Just a friendly reminder to be extra vigilant and careful riding this extended weekend:wave

With the first big holiday of the summer, our local roads are already heavy with extra travelers and local graduations adding visitors.

Yesterday's ride to the bridge dedication in Kingsland,TX was quite a seasonal awareness wake up call. Turning out onto highways took longer and the train of vehicles was never ending. Lot's of rental RV's ( signage on vehicles) encountered along with the regular operators and trailered watercraft wandering over the centerline was a common sight. My normal swivel head was on overdrive.
Had kids running across the Slab crossing on the Llano river, oblivious to vehicles...ahhh, summertime is near:banghead

anyways, be alert!

Good advice indeed. :thumb

Just this past Friday, coming back from a week in Michigan's U.P., I was on HWY 2 east of Manistique. Two lanes, double yellow, lots of Memorial Day weekend traffic ramping up, and a narrow shoulder.

Most traffic waits for one of the 16 passing lanes they have set up, but not the #4 vehicle in a line of traffic heading in the opposite direction.

That genius, not spotting any 'big' movement with his micro-second glance, pulls out of line, now has no where to pull back in and is heading directly towards me at 65+ mph.

Fortunately, I mentally summarize any line of traffic coming my way on an undivided roadway as "Well ….. which one of these has been elected 'Idiot of the Month," and what's my escape path."

Saved my bacon Friday, and countless times before. What's ironic is that if I had been in my SUV, with little shoulder and a steep ditch before the tree line, the only reason I survived the moment was because I was on a motorcycle. :dance

bit of a traffic jam at the Pentagon today....:)

felt a bit out of place on a German bike with ATGATT.. 200,000 HD's...most with riders wearing leather vests or tank tops.

Read this morning that this ride is the last unless funding changes.Costs have caught up with the organization.
Good intentions, but way too many bikes in one place for my comfort.Assuming a helmet law in D.C.? Or most wear it anyways? Do see a few w/out.

I rode with the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall as it made it's way thru Austin...once:eek

Back