• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Could some one explain the differences in the bikes, Air head, hex and so on.

jyme

Hi all, I thought I had a Hex head 2009 1200rt until I started working on it, adjusting the valves, I need both hex and star, sockets and closed end wrenches. I have most but not the star at all and I've sure never seen the type of valve adjustment BMW uses on their bikes and I've adjusted older cars, 55 Chevy and newer and older Harley's and other Japanese too, none looked or needed all the loosening of bolts that my bike does. I had to ask at Lowe's what the "Star" head bolt was called and there are other head types too but not on my bike, a real learning experience of which I'm enjoying and having fun. I have a Clymer repair manual which gives good pics and explains well. I could not get my back wheel to turn in sixth gear though so used a big wrench since I didn't have a big enough socket and don't know what size it is for the big nut at the front where the alternator belt is, but will find out. The bike runs great but I don't think the valves are adjusted correctly at all and will find out and adjust. I'm pretty picky about the way engines run, any, I can hear plugs missing when others can't, my ears are really good.

Now, could some one please explain why the different BMW's are called Air Head, Hex etc, if this is explained some where I've missed please point me in that direction, thanks.

To turn the engine, I probably wouldn't use any type of alternator bolt at the front of the engine unless the spark plugs were removed. Using the rear wheel with transmission in gear is easier but again you'll be fighting the engine compression.

Now, could some one please explain why the different BMW's are called Air Head, Hex etc, if this is explained some where I've missed please point me in that direction, thanks.

Not sure I've seen a complete list of differences or background on the names, but this wiki page has a start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_BMW_motorcycles#R_series_flat-twins

But my 30000 foot definition for flat horizontally opposed engines:

- Airhead -- nominally, this has been used for the models from 1970 to 1995 (Type 247 engines, also including the R65 which is Type 248 IIRC). The jugs stick out to the side and the primary cooling is due to air flowing over the cylinders. That can be said of all BMW twins going back to 1923 but generally it's just the 1970-1995 bikes. More than you ever wanted to read on Airheads here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/models.htm

- Oilhead -- what was added was more oil flow paths around the head, thus adding some cooling effect due to the oil flowing

- Hexhead -- still like the Oilhead, but I think the "hex" part of this has something to do with the design of the valve covers, heads, or something like that :dunno

- Wethead -- this version has water cooling added

Not sure if it's a universal thing, but S1000 ranges of models were given the "Hothead" designation on our forum due to the performance and racetrack use of the bike. Other models have been called "Bricks" (K series) due to the squareness of the engine case, Wedge bikes due to the slanted transverse engine case. Just to name a few...

unless the spark plugs were removed. Using the rear wheel with transmission in gear is easier but again you'll be fighting the engine compression.

Thanks, I forgot to mention removing the plugs.

Hi, and thank you, I've been working on cars and trucks since the late 60's and the first thing I was taught if working on the engine as I am with this motor cycle, worked on them also since the same time frame is to pull the plugs. You may not always have to pull the plugs but as the activity dictates was suggested.

I see you are adjusting the valves, let me just add a word of caution on removing the spark plugs. Make sure you have the correct socket, thin wall so it doesn't get stuck. BMW sells a socket for this purpose. There are many posts of people getting the socket stuck and it's a bad day.

Back