• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 dash lights

The search function on this website is compromised.
Every search (every search!) I input comes back with the same 20 hits: "Word Association" or "Pix your Ride", or "Southern Get-Together"....
Is there a way to narrow my search?

r1100 front left quarter.jpg

Have found incredible things by browsing, but random and off point. Sorry if I am asking a question found on the forum
Here's my curious question on dash lights:
What are those X signals? Are they LED's? Early version of LED's? Are they incandescent bulbs???
The neutral light/turn signal/ABS lights?
I'm kinda interested in how/why they developed them. They look different from other bikes I"ve ridden.

The neutral light shows up as an X. Most people who see it, know what I mean.
My question is, is it just a light bulb/incandescent behind there? The pattern and the shape look like it might be something else.
I see zig-zag lines and I was thinking, "is that a solid state element, like an LED." An early type of LED?

The backside of the "lens" is covered with facets in a diamond pattern. This is what concentrates the light in that X pattern. It's visible in all of the dash indicators, but most noticeable in the large ones like neutral and low fuel. It doesn't matter what kind of bulb is in there; I replaced my incandescent with LED and still get the X.

Can the bulbs inside be replaced? Seems like you'd almost have to replace the whole unit.

You have to remove the instrument panel from the bike to get access to the bulb sockets. They're rubber and simply push into the back of the instrument panel. They're pretty stubborn to pull out; try twisting them back and forth a little bit to loosen them up, but not too much, you don't want to break any wires.

It's a type 74 bulb. I bought LED equivalent from superbrightleds.com. I'm sure there are others out there selling them as well.

Thank you for search help!

That is super! Will read it carefully.
New to site, another question: I wanted to thank your post or give it a thumbs up? Does that button exist, or do I just
respond like I am doing now?

Again, I really like this site and spend time on it, BUT I belong to forums for all my machines Acura, Honda, BMW, etc.
This one seems a little old and featureless. Will it ever be updated? Or, do the members like stability and don't want change? Haha!
I hate change, too, but it usually works out for the better :):):)

Back