• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel leak 2007 R1200RT

bkfist

Started smelling fuel at the end of my last ride 2 days ago, but thought it was brother in law who had just filled his mower before I returned home. My fuel sensor strip decided to take a dive on the same trip. (Reading zero) Bought the bike with 64K miles, currently at 98K with no previous indication of fuel leak (that I noticed) during that time.
Today, I opened up the bodywork to try the lighter/spark hack on the fuel strip and there was some seeping of gas around the quick connector. Disconnected the connector, replaced the o-ring with same size Viton o-ring, re-assembled and it was leak free. Ran bike a few minuets. Shut it off, came out a couple hours later, no leak, turn on key and started bike and it was seeping fuel again. Wiped fuel leakage dry and it didn't continue to re-wet.
I'm a bit baffled here.
Is it likely the fuel pump is cracked or more likely the female connector is cracked? Is there a way to diagnose the difference? The male connector appears dry from all I can tell. There is no fuel spraying anywhere, definitely a rather slow leak, however I do have the signs of fuel leaking down the inside of the front left cover caked in some dust/dirt.
The intermittent nature of the leak is a bit baffling.
Does anybody know if the replacement quick connectors are commonly stocked at the "average" dealership? (I know, call tomorrow to be sure)
Thanks for any suggestions.
In the picture you can see a little seeping at the base of the, what I assume is, the reinforcement ring on the pump threads. (Any chance it might be drying/deterioration of the thread sealing agent?) This was after I wiped it with a paper towel. The seepage didn't get any worse, after the wiping, than what you see in the picture, even after the bike had been running several minutes. It almost seems like the leak occurs as it is pressurizing, then once operating pressure is reached it stops leaking. The area behind the connector is wet also, but I can't detect any fuel actually spraying into that area.
FuelPump2.jpg

The fuel pump leaking is a very common problem with your bike. They were officially recalled later.

He already has the new style with the reinforcement ring.
But if the female part is leaking I would think the recall would have to replace it again.

I'm really not sure where the leak is coming from for sure. The female part doesn't have any visible cracks. There are visible cracks around the reinforcing ring (which is loose enough to spin around).
Took out the female connector, added gasoline rated pipe sealant, reassembled and let sit 24 hours. Turned on, pressurized and no leak. Started bike and began leaking again.
I think I'll order the reinforcing ring and metal connectors from beamer boneyard and JB Weld it into place. Should solve the issue.
In the mean time, to make sure I have a ride to the national Rally in Lebanon, my wife INSISTED I go buy a new bike. Picked up an R1250GSA Saturday.
Another 150 miles, first service, and I'm good to go.
Now, to fix the RT so I can sell it and get a Nav VI and a few farkles.

Before ordering anything ask if the recall will fix the leak again.
If the recall will not cover the repair and you need a reinforcing ring from BeemerBoneyard send me a PM with your address.
I have one I will give you.

Before ordering anything ask if the recall will fix the leak again.
If the recall will not cover the repair and you need a reinforcing ring from BeemerBoneyard send me a PM with your address.
I have one I will give you.

Good morning all. Came back from a quick ride this morning and also found a small puddle of fuel under my 07 RT. Pulled off the plastics and found the leak right at the fuel line connector. Actually spraying out (see pic). So, can I replace just the connector insert or does the entire pump need replacing? In a bit of a pinch since was planning to leave for the TN rally on Thurs AM. Any/all help must appreciated. Thanks, DavidD7E9BE3A-353D-46C3-8727-1C8809244937.jpg

Back