• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reducing Heat in Right Pannier on 1200GSW's

Most have experienced excessive heat in their right rear panniers on their 1200GSW's.
A rider in our motorcycle group had R1200GSW Exhaust Extensions from Tom Dowell at Excell Cyclewerkes http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/ installed on his 1200GSW ADV.
He commented that it significantly reduced the heat in his right pannier.

I ordered a set for my 2014 1200 GSW and installed it recently. I'm using them with my Bumot panniers and they make a difference.

I have no affiliation with this company but like to acknowledge good products, companies and service.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 360
I've had Tom's extensions on both my '02 1150GS and my '12 1200GSA. Guess I should consider them for my new '18 GSW.

Do they mount with the springs like they did on the older bikes?

I've had Tom's extensions on both my '02 1150GS and my '12 1200GSA. Guess I should consider them for my new '18 GSW.

Do they mount with the springs like they did on the older bikes?

You tap them on (with rubber mallet or piece of woof and hammer) the the stock exhaust pipes, then attach springs.
Tom sends detailed instructions with extension.

try adhesive backed automobile heat insulation like this
https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-1...t=&hvlocphy=9008187&hvtargid=pla-492121514054

stick it to the outside of the case where it is near the muffler/exhaust. does wonders to reflect heat. designed for auto engine bays so holds up well to WX. I use it on the right side case on my K1300S (and on various parts of my race/track cars.)

cheap and easy.

If you look at my 3rd photo, you can see that I have this product installed to the side of my right pannier.
This reduced the heat in the front of the pannier but the exhaust still heated the rear part of my pannier (the 8"where the stock exhaust stops before the back end of the pannier)

Attachments

• IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 311
On our GS and GSA they do not make the exhaust note louder or change the tone, but they do make the exhaust a bit more noticeable to the rider... at least with Jesse Bags mounted. The change is not bothersome to either of us.

They work great. Not sure he is doing anymore.

These are on my GS.

exhaust+bike+side.JPG

Call him to check. I just bought a set 2 weeks ago.
I think he will be at the National Rally in Lebanon.

Again I am or not sure what he is doing these days. When I bought mine he had posted he was convinced to make some, but had not thought he was going to make a lot. However when the demand is high I guess you do what you do.

On mine I tapped them with a block of wood and a mallet and they seated for sure. Did not bother with the springs. They are on and after a few heat cycles they are fine.

As to sound yes it moved the sound out the back but I did not really hear any difference but I wear custom ear plugs.

I love mine, fit and finish is superb, for sure moved heat/sound from bouncing around in between the cases and above the rear wheel to the very rear of the bike so they do the job as advertised.

I will look for him at the National to tell him how pleased I am with them. Would recommend them to anyone.

I just checked his web site and it appears what while he had planned to be in Tennessee as the Rally his plans have changed and he will not be there. Ordering mine tonight

I have set on my '08. Reduced heat and no soot deposits
Added a sight to discourage tailgaters :laugh

Attachments

• 20190530_155131_resize.jpg
    20190530_155131_resize.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 239
I just checked his web site and it appears what while he had planned to be in Tennessee as the Rally his plans have changed and he will not be there. Ordering mine tonight
Bummer, I was planning on buying one at the rally. I'll call him, maybe I can have it shipped there.

Update: Tom was very easy to work with, got it to the rally in time for me to install it before I continued on my trip. The product itself is very nicely made and easy to install. Unfotunately, I really dislike the exhaust note with it installed. Its blatty on acceleration and drones annoyingly on the slab. So I removed it; the contents of the pannier can take being warm, and I can clean it like I have been.

Anyone interested in a slightly used extension for a 13+GS/14+GSA please PM me.

Last edited:
I'm just finishing up a 2000 mile ride from Southern Ontario to Marietta (for 2 days..94 degrees F) and Elkins (for 2 days ....86F) and my right saddlebag was noticeably cooler with the exhaust pipe extensions.
Nothing was HOT to the touch. Just saying.
I'm very pleased with them.

Andy

Yeah

I am going to do something about the issue with mine. I've been giving it a lot of thought.

I had a pair of similar exhaust extensions that came with a set of Jesse bags a few years ago and they worked fine. They look kinda dorky when you have the bags off but, hey, it's a funky-looking bike anyway.

I'd like to solve the problem with a heat shield or deflector on the inside of my pannier but I am not sure how well that would work.

I'm working on it.

Yeah
They look kinda dorky when you have the bags off but, hey, it's a funky-looking bike anyway.

This is definitely a function over form kind of modification! LOL

Although I'm not convinced the "function" is necessary....

I have the BMW panniers and have no issues at all with extra heat on the right side. I've done several 2000+ mile trips and at the end of each day, pulling out my Kathy's bags, I've felt no big difference between the left and right sides.

Maybe yinz aren't riding fast enough for better airflow? :)

This is definitely a function over form kind of modification! LOL

Although I'm not convinced the "function" is necessary....

I have the BMW panniers and have no issues at all with extra heat on the right side. I've done several 2000+ mile trips and at the end of each day, pulling out my Kathy's bags, I've felt no big difference between the left and right sides.

Maybe yinz aren't riding fast enough for better airflow? :)

Funny but that is kind of what I've been thinking. While I've had the extensions on my 1150 and 1200 GS's I did so more because of how they looked. My buddy with a 2016 GSA has no heat issues on the right side and not even any discoloration on the bag. I've just not heard a lot of complaints about the right side heat issue.

Back