• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Idaho River Canyon Loop Ride - Amazing roads & Views

Map001.pngThe Trip:

May 13-15, 2019 Solo motorcycle trip, 750 mile loop encompassing six national forest, through amazing river canyons along some of Idaho premier rivers. Utilizing a number of Idaho Scenic Byway, the trip traveled through some of Idaho most amazing country.
0412191255.jpg
Day one started on the Payette River Scenic byway to New Meadows traveling through the North Fork of the Payette River canyon, then down the Little Salmon River canyon to Riggins. After lunch, a quick side trip to view the Seven Devils wilderness. The route was blocked with snow so I didn't make the vantage point I had been hoping for. The day ended at the town of Orofino on the Clearwater River.
IMG_3490.JPG
Day two started heading east on the Northwest Passage Scenic byway along the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers. This route is famous as the trail Louis & Clark took crossing the Bitterroot mountains. Lots of interesting history in this area, and world class river running. After crossing Lolo Pass, the route entered Montana and headed south in the Bitterroot Valley along the Bitterroot river. I then crossed another pass and was back in Idaho stopping for the Night at the town of Salmon, on the Salmon River.
Lolo Pass.JPG
Day three followed the Salmon River Scenic byway to the town of Stanley and the Sawtooth mountains. The clouds were just off the basin floor and I rode through fog and rain from Sunbeam to Grandjene. The last section of the trip was heading west on the Sawtooth Scenic byway along the South Fork of the Payette river back to Horseshoe Bend and Home.

Garmin inReach Track: https://us0-share.inreach.garmin.com/BCHISB Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJ4BCGtUsEpjfMGR7

Looks like a fantastic trip. I've ridden all those roads, most of them several times and would head back over any of them in a heartbeat.

On another note, how do you find the Rallye seat on the GSA? I'm looking at a purchase later this year and am trying to decide which seat to go with. I like the look of the Rallye seat, not so much the comfort seat as I don't like a dished design that limits my seating position and passenger comfort is a non issue as there will likely never be a passenger.

Outfitting an F850GSA

See F-Twins - F850GSA - Second one sold in Idaho
Seat - I have a 35 inch inseam so was looking for a higher seat than the stock "Comfort seat" that my GSA came equipped with, so I had the dealer swap it with the Rallye seat. I had a flat seat on my 2007 F650 GS which let me vary my riding position and hoped the Rallye seat would do the same. It is quit comfortable for about 200 miles, after that it gets hard. But to put that into context, anything get hard for me after 5 or 6 hours. At 69 year old, I have no interest in doing iron butt type rides. On Idaho forest service road, which I ride a lot, it works great.View attachment Outfitting an F850GSA.pdf

Back