• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Niki Lauda

Niki was a great man and made a major impression on me when I was young. His pragmatism was something I deeply admired and his insistence on telling you what you need to know in order to reach the goal (as opposed to what you might have wanted to hear) was a trait to be valued, not criticized.

Ian

I hate we lost Niki Lauda. A man of few words, and direct words they were. One tough buzzard, I wasn’t sure if he could die.

I enjoyed “Rush”*, and thought the actor who played him did a remarkable job. I’ve read a couple of books on the 1976 season and thought they were well done.

*Even if they couldn’t help themselves at times and added the usual racing trope of a dramatic shot of the right foot slamming the accelerator to the floor as if that hadn’t occurred to the driver before.

*Even if they couldn’t help themselves at times and added the usual racing trope of a dramatic shot of the right foot slamming the accelerator to the floor as if that hadn’t occurred to the driver before.

Yeahbutt... it was in the middle of the scene where his future wife (who has no idea who he is) implores him to drive fast, and he replies “there’s no incentive...” and she says “because I want you to”... and he starts hauling butt while the two guys who own the BMW he’s driving are wetting their pants because *the* Niki Lauda is driving their car! A masterpiece scene!

Ah, jeez.... I need to watch that movie again!

I had heard that they used one of the actual cars in some of the scenes. And it was good to see him honored this weekend in Monaco and Indy. He survived some tough years of F1.

Back