Thread: A Quick Question on the Nav VI

A Quick Question on the Nav VI

The other day I took my Navigator VI off my bike and was entering in addresses for saved address locations. I began poking around in the unit and found last ride stats. In the section I noticed it had last ride lean angles. It showed the following information. (-)18* for one lean angle and 22* for the other. I assume that 0* would be the bike straight up and that the (-)18* would be the measurement of me leaning the bike to the left in a turn and 22* would be the measurement of me leaning the bike to the right in a turn. Am I right on my assumptions or am I off base?

Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Jay -

I think you're right based upon the first post in this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...nd-Lean-Angles
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for the link. I will have to check what my Max Lean Angle was.

Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Let me know if you come across any unusual speeds on the last ride stats page. Recently, I had 134 mph in one of the segments. It was, obviously, incorrect. I was checking to see if I hit 100 on some of the straights, as I thought I only hit 90 mph trying to catch up. That particular segment that listed the 134 mph was much too short of a distance to even acheive the 90 mph I was frequently seeing on the speedo.

I did see the lean angles, but nothing that really caused me to question the accuracy. My thoughts on why the differences between L & R on mine could be better conrnering on left handers -vs- right handers. Does that make sense? I am still learning the new RT and honing my skills to ride it, but I feel as though I take left hand curves better than going to the right, possibly.

Cheers,
    William
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    Let me know if you come across any unusual speeds on the last ride stats page. Recently, I had 134 mph in one of the segments. It was, obviously, incorrect. I was checking to see if I hit 100 on some of the straights, as I thought I only hit 90 mph trying to catch up. That particular segment that listed the 134 mph was much too short of a distance to even acheive the 90 mph I was frequently seeing on the speedo.

I did see the lean angles, but nothing that really caused me to question the accuracy. My thoughts on why the differences between L & R on mine could be better conrnering on left handers -vs- right handers. Does that make sense? I am still learning the new RT and honing my skills to ride it, but I feel as though I take left hand curves better than going to the right, possibly.

Cheers,
    William
    William,
    I have not noticed any in accuracies yet. Here are the stats from my last ride. It was 43 miles in length. -18* and 22* were maximum lean angles with -7* and 3* being the average lean angles. I also made 196 turns, with 49 gear shifts, utilizing my front brakes 16 times and my rear brakes 17 times. I to am still getting comfortable on my RT since my accident. I am right handed and have always been better at left hand turns.

Jay

A four degree difference is not very much. I would not expect left and right angles to be the same. Right turns tend to be sharper and shorter since we drive on the right, left turns are a bit longer and faster. MotoGP riders routinely lean up to 55º-60º.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Recently, I had 134 mph in one of the segments. It was, obviously, incorrect.
    If the Satellite signal is interrupted you can get strange top speed readings.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    A four degree difference is not very much. I would not expect left and right angles to be the same. Right turns tend to be sharper and shorter since we drive on the right, left turns are a bit longer and faster. MotoGP riders routinely lean up to 55º-60º.
    I hadn’t thought about the difference in right and left turns.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If the Satellite signal is interrupted you can get strange top speed readings.
    Thanks for the info. I knew it was an anomaly; the speedo only goes to 150. Wishful thinking, right?
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. I knew it was an anomaly; the speedo only goes to 150. Wishful thinking, right?
    That's not too far off the theoretical top speed of the R1250RT which is 141 mph. It is geared for 151 mph at redline in 6th but doesn't have the HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag.

I have had an R1200GSW (with the vario bags attached) up to a GPS indicated 129.8 mph at Bonneville with more to go. I'm sure an R1200RTW would go higher than a GS and certainly my R1250RT feels like it should have a higher to speed than my 2014 R1200RTW. I've just done the Initial Run-in Service on my bike (1,289 mi currently) so it has only seen 96 mph according to the GPS.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando