Thread: 83 R100RT center stand installation

83 R100RT center stand installation

IMG_0332.jpeg

I have a 1983 R100RT and trying to install the center stand. Does anyone have pictures to show where this gets mounted and where the springs are supposed to be mounted? Thanks.

naked bike

I am in the process of restoring this bike and it will end up looking like an old bike I used to have. Here is the current condition of the bike and a sample picture of my old bike that I am trying to replicate.

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Sometimes the fiche pictures help:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=46_0073

It would appear that maybe your stand is a modified one with the additional "wings" to the side. It seems that there are some shackles which pull the springs more or less straight up.

The stand would appear to be the SAC Big Foot...according to some ads I've seen, one would send in the original stand and they would add the side supports.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BMW...-/201530488776
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for that info. I was wondering why this center stand looked very different from stock. I was hoping it was not the wrong stand. So do you think the brackets that attache to the springs mount at the same point where the center stand is mounted?

Never having seen this type of stand and how it might work on an '83, the only hope is that it was actually from a '83 model and the previous owner sent it in to get modified. The outriggers were there for stability and as long as they don't hit the frame or mufflers, you should be OK.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Never having seen this type of stand and how it might work on an '83, the only hope is that it was actually from a '83 model and the previous owner sent it in to get modified. The outriggers were there for stability and as long as they don't hit the frame or mufflers, you should be OK.
    The "outriggers", depending on their size and geometry, might also limit lean angle. No idea how to install return springs without a better look at the mounting positions on the stand and on the bike.

Is it really that hard to find an original stand, either new or used from one of the usual suspects? Incorrect mounting of either the stand, or the retraction system, could result in a dramatically unsuccessful result at a most inopportune time...such as when moving.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

^ I was thinking of that but if this is the SAC Big Foot stand then it is a stock stand just modified to have wings and apparently supposed to be even more secure than the original. I will take some close ups of the stand and the underside of the bike where it is supposed to be mounted to get a better look. I just received my Farley stand yesterday and installed it already as seen in the pic so technically I don't need the center stand but I have always loved the airheads ability to be raised on the center stand. It is a function not common on modern bikes anymore. And I miss this feature on my other bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by plexiform View Post
    ^ I was thinking of that but if this is the SAC Big Foot stand then it is a stock stand just modified to have wings and apparently supposed to be even more secure than the original. I will take some close ups of the stand and the underside of the bike where it is supposed to be mounted to get a better look. I just received my Farley stand yesterday and installed it already as seen in the pic so technically I don't need the center stand but I have always loved the airheads ability to be raised on the center stand. It is a function not common on modern bikes anymore. And I miss this feature on my other bikes.
    Hi Plexiform,

Here is what I found when I removed the center stand on my 1983 RS.

I hope this helps.

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    Hi Plexiform,

Here is what I found when I removed the center stand on my 1983 RS.

I hope this helps.

Best.
    Brook Reams.

Thank you! That’s what I needed. Looks like the spring just attaches to a spot slightly above where the center stand mounts. And looks like only one spring not one for each side. The stand itself has two spring attachment points so I may try to use two springs if possible. Will need to buy the hardware to attach the stand.

Your videos and explanations are wonderful! I will be using them extensively for this project. Thanks again for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by plexiform View Post
    Thank you! Thatís what I needed. Looks like the spring just attaches to a spot slightly above where the center stand mounts. And looks like only one spring not one for each side. The stand itself has two spring attachment points so I may try to use two springs if possible. Will need to buy the hardware to attach the stand.
    Plexiform,

The stock stand has two springs, so I'd go with that as it will even out retraction force on the center stand so the bushings won't experience a torque load. That likely will improve longevity of the bushings.

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

I can't seem to figure out where the upper end of the retraction springs mount too.

centerstandsprings.jpg

ok i got it now. from the fiche diagram it shows there is a holder/bracket that needs to be installed which serves as an attachment point. Thanks.