Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1200RT ABS Sensor air ap

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Disregard what specifically?
    I crafted a very long reply with equations and stuff. Then realized I made an error and that it came across as a know-it-all who doesn't really. I'm an Aerospace engineer and tend to go full-on geek when I'm trying to work something out. In this case it was ABS math (as in I worked out the frequency of the sensor output signals and then realized that I didn't actually know that that's how they worked). I got waayyyy out in front of my skis there.

...move along...nothing to read here...
    Last edited by pappy35; 05-26-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I am a mechanical Engineer with a bunch of computer certifications so I played with the front wheel sensor. I manual change the distance with tape to under .7mm per the spec. The voltage dropped to .52 Volts.

need more experiments to try.

I don't understand why you think voltage matters. What matters is signal quality. The voltage is going to be varying like an AC signal whose frequency is determined by the ring step (or gear tooth) passing frequency (for the rear wheel at 60 mph it should be in the neighborhood of 13 khz) so if you are measuring voltage it would be RMS not peak to peak. Systems like this don't care about the voltage, they look for frequency.

Why are you focusing on the front air gap? I have forgotten most of what I used to know about these kinds of sensors but intuitively, I believe that closer/farther away would affect peak to peak voltage not frequency. If you have a ratty signal from one of the sensors, or nice clean signals whose frequencies don't agree (scalar value, not phasing) then the system's going to freak out. I think you should be focusing on recording data on the 911 and then comparing that data front to rear. That is the key to rooting out what's going on here.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I believe you are correct It will be next weekend before I can run a data collection while riding. I think I have the process figured out. thanks for the help. I will update in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I crafted a very long reply with equations and stuff. Then realized I made an error and that it came across as a know-it-all who doesn't really. I'm an Aerospace engineer and tend to go full-on geek when I'm trying to work something out. In this case it was ABS math (as in I worked out the frequency of the sensor output signals and then realized that I didn't actually know that that's how they worked). I got waayyyy out in front of my skis there.

...move along...nothing to read here...
    Thanks for posting that, too many people this day and age double down instead of fold.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I managed to capture about a 7 Min ride with the data collection running. The voltage for both the front a rear sensors varied in voltage from .7 volts to 1.53 volts. Going with the way these things work that says that the signal goes all over the map. I am "assuming" that we want a steady voltage which would be sign of a good signal. I believe that would also explain the 20 MPH slow speedometer. both sensors have been examined and replaced. The original front sensor did show damage on its end. I have check both sets of wheel bearings and they seem tight.

I did clean the connections when the sensors where changed out. So I guess it is the connections into the ECU or the ECU it self. As I writ this I am going to check all of the ground too. the battery has been replaced when I started this so I know those connections are good.

I any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS I am going to go to the GS-911 and write a process on how to collect data. I could not find it anywhere.

This is where I am today. I have found out that the 07 R1200rt had a different ring gear and sensor than the 05 and 06. I think the production switch was in August of 06. So if you look at the detentes in the gear for the pickup they are different. The rear end on my R1200rt was changed to a 07 or later R12ooRTP final Drive. so I need to change out the final drive. I have posted the different detentes.

rear sensor ring early model.JPG 05 and 06

rear sensor ring 07 and later model.JPG. 07 and later?

Thanks for the pictures. I had thought the sensor was detecting the gear teeth rather than detents. Have you asked a dealer if the bike's computer can be re-programmed to match the drive instead of replacing the FD?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. I had thought the sensor was detecting the gear teeth rather than detents. Have you asked a dealer if the bike's computer can be re-programmed to match the drive instead of replacing the FD?
    My thoughts on dealer fix...folks have changed to newest drive and seem to be fine

Same issue popped up on front ring between K12 and K13 bikes...I lent a wheel out and we had to swap rings

Still wishing good luck to you as there has to be a workaround/fix
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I will give the dealer a call early next week. Now that I have a clearer picture on what I need.

Fixed

Please go back up and read the whole Thread first.

Issues were.

Speedo was slow by 20 mph at 60 mph
    ABS error/failure
    N lite/ gear indicator would fail.

The final drive was changed. As you see in the picts above the wrong year was put in 05-06 R1200rt used a different sensor and ring gear in the final drive than the 07-09 RT. The sensors for an 05-06 has a white connector to the harness. The 07-09 has a black connector. The harness will not accept the wrong sensor unless you force it. don't. Thefinal drives look the same and will bolt in no problem except for the issues above.

I found a used final drive from an 06 RT and installed. After many uses of a torque wrench all is well. The speedo is correct. ABS works as it should and the N/gear indicator works. I believe the N lite would go out with an ABS error and since the computer could not resolve the seed difference it would fail the gear indicator.

So do not try and put a sensor from an 07-09 RT in an 05-06 RT and vice verse.

Any one need a good 07-09 RTP final drive unit?