• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT ABS Sensor air ap

I managed to capture about a 7 Min ride with the data collection running. The voltage for both the front a rear sensors varied in voltage from .7 volts to 1.53 volts. Going with the way these things work that says that the signal goes all over the map. I am "assuming" that we want a steady voltage which would be sign of a good signal. I believe that would also explain the 20 MPH slow speedometer. both sensors have been examined and replaced. The original front sensor did show damage on its end. I have check both sets of wheel bearings and they seem tight.

I did clean the connections when the sensors where changed out. So I guess it is the connections into the ECU or the ECU it self. As I writ this I am going to check all of the ground too. the battery has been replaced when I started this so I know those connections are good.

I any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS I am going to go to the GS-911 and write a process on how to collect data. I could not find it anywhere.

This is where I am today. I have found out that the 07 R1200rt had a different ring gear and sensor than the 05 and 06. I think the production switch was in August of 06. So if you look at the detentes in the gear for the pickup they are different. The rear end on my R1200rt was changed to a 07 or later R12ooRTP final Drive. so I need to change out the final drive. I have posted the different detentes.

rear sensor ring early model.JPG 05 and 06

rear sensor ring 07 and later model.JPG. 07 and later?

Thanks for the pictures. I had thought the sensor was detecting the gear teeth rather than detents. Have you asked a dealer if the bike's computer can be re-programmed to match the drive instead of replacing the FD?

Thanks for the pictures. I had thought the sensor was detecting the gear teeth rather than detents. Have you asked a dealer if the bike's computer can be re-programmed to match the drive instead of replacing the FD?

My thoughts on dealer fix...folks have changed to newest drive and seem to be fine:dunno

Same issue popped up on front ring between K12 and K13 bikes...I lent a wheel out and we had to swap rings:banghead

Still wishing good luck to you as there has to be a workaround/fix

Fixed

Please go back up and read the whole Thread first.

Issues were.

Speedo was slow by 20 mph at 60 mph
ABS error/failure
N lite/ gear indicator would fail.

The final drive was changed. As you see in the picts above the wrong year was put in 05-06 R1200rt used a different sensor and ring gear in the final drive than the 07-09 RT. The sensors for an 05-06 has a white connector to the harness. The 07-09 has a black connector. The harness will not accept the wrong sensor unless you force it. don't. Thefinal drives look the same and will bolt in no problem except for the issues above.

I found a used final drive from an 06 RT and installed. After many uses of a torque wrench all is well. The speedo is correct. ABS works as it should and the N/gear indicator works. I believe the N lite would go out with an ABS error and since the computer could not resolve the seed difference it would fail the gear indicator.

So do not try and put a sensor from an 07-09 RT in an 05-06 RT and vice verse.

Any one need a good 07-09 RTP final drive unit?

Back