• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT - Riding Gear for Hot Weather

I thought about these pants (they looked like a great match for the Klim Induction Jacket) but the pants only come in BLACK. I don't understand this... A product designed to help you stay cool that only comes in a color that absorbs the most heat in the sun. If these came in lighter colors, I'd be all over them.

I second that thought. I so wish they would have different color choices. My current mesh pants are a light grey and flow air nicely, when standing up. But sitting down behind the fairing get very little circulation. Can't imagine what they would feel like in black color.

Many times I see links to the infamous Iron Butt article about not using mesh in high temps. I see adventure rider type threads making the same point.

I know something they are not putting into the equation.

Put on your Aerostich or other textile gear with good venting and ride a naked bike or a bike with a limited aero package. As long as you are moving you can stay reasonably cool even in high temps. Ride with that same gear on an RT under the same conditions and you won't be nearly as cool. You don't get the airflow coming in at the right places to blow up your sleeves or go into chest area pocket vents and so on. In fact, should you get into slow traffic or stopped traffic, you might no be able to bear the heat. I have been through that very thing.

The "you will sweat too much in mesh" just doesn't add up in my experience. It actually makes the rest of that argument seem to be less reliable.

There isn't all that much air actually hitting you when wearing mesh on an RT. I have Motoport gear that is almost all mesh. But very small openings. Olympia gear that I actually get more air with. The one thing that never seems to get brought up when wearing solid textile is how do you "vent" the hip/legs? In testing I have found my legs so hot that they felt like they were wrapped in black garbage bags while I was sitting in the sun!

In live in Houston, Texas. Hard to top that for miserable riding for 4 months. I have gone out with my solid gear to see what these guys are talking about. I simply do NOT AGREE with them for riding a bike with a solid aero package. Adventure bike? Maybe you could get by.

Don't get me started on "evaporative vests don't work in humid conditions"! They work quite well. Almost better, they may not dry out quite as quickly. Don't overlook the science, moving air dramatically raises the evaporation rate making the vest work quite well.

The past few years I have cheated anyway. I run a Veskimo vest that circulates ice water. I built my own ice container/pump system. Holds 20 lbs of ice. I can run a full fuel tank and not run out of ice. Makes my belly numb it is so cold! I can ride in 100+ temps and stay fully alert with none of that getting tired too early feeling hot temps can give you. Truly all day comfort. Then there is the bonus of taking an ice cold bottle of water out of the chest at a rest stop. Can you even imagine how good that feels going down!

Many times I see links to the infamous Iron Butt article about not using mesh in high temps. I see adventure rider type threads making the same point.

In live in Houston, Texas. Hard to top that for miserable riding for 4 months. I have gone out with my solid gear to see what these guys are talking about. I simply do NOT AGREE with them for riding a bike with a solid aero package. Adventure bike? Maybe you could get by.

Aw sure. Why would the Surgeon General of the Navy (Admiral Don Arthur) know anything about physiology? I know who I trust and it isn't some guy writing on a forum. Sorry.

I know something they are not putting into the equation.

Put on your Aerostich or other textile gear with good venting and ride a naked bike or a bike with a limited aero package. As long as you are moving you can stay reasonably cool even in high temps. Ride with that same gear on an RT under the same conditions and you won't be nearly as cool. You don't get the airflow coming in at the right places to blow up your sleeves or go into chest area pocket vents and so on. In fact, should you get into slow traffic or stopped traffic, you might no be able to bear the heat. I have been through that very thing.

The "you will sweat too much in mesh" just doesn't add up in my experience. It actually makes the rest of that argument seem to be less reliable.

There isn't all that much air actually hitting you when wearing mesh on an RT. I have Motoport gear that is almost all mesh. But very small openings. Olympia gear that I actually get more air with. The one thing that never seems to get brought up when wearing solid textile is how do you "vent" the hip/legs? In testing I have found my legs so hot that they felt like they were wrapped in black garbage bags while I was sitting in the sun!

Don't get me started on "evaporative vests don't work in humid conditions"! They work quite well. Almost better, they may not dry out quite as quickly. Don't overlook the science, moving air dramatically raises the evaporation rate making the vest work quite well.

The past few years I have cheated anyway. I run a Veskimo vest that circulates ice water. I built my own ice container/pump system. Holds 20 lbs of ice. I can run a full fuel tank and not run out of ice. Makes my belly numb it is so cold! I can ride in 100+ temps and stay fully alert with none of that getting tired too early feeling hot temps can give you. Truly all day comfort. Then there is the bonus of taking an ice cold bottle of water out of the chest at a rest stop. Can you even imagine how good that feels going down!
you are correct, BIG difference between riding a naked bike in heat or cold vs. an RT or any other bike with full fairing/lowers, etc. I've stopped riding to work mainly because of dangerous M******* drivers but also having to crawl in traffic when it's 90 deg and humid is a killer for me. NO FUN getting some soaked w/sweat even thou it's been raining in the Northeast all spring.

Aw sure. Why would the Surgeon General of the Navy (Admiral Don Arthur) know anything about physiology? I know who I trust and it isn't some guy writing on a forum. Sorry.

How many miles does the Admiral have riding a motorcycle in 90-110 degree F temps?

I didn't ask for anyones trust. While your signature says something about thinking, is it not ok to voice ones own thoughts based on their experience? I think it is. Sorry you disapprove of me for writing about my experiences that are directly taken from riding in high heat environments for years.

I am a free thinker. I don't fall in line all the time.

How many miles does the Admiral have riding a motorcycle in 90-110 degree F temps?

Better still, How many miles does the Admiral have riding a motorcycle with a big fairing and windscreen in 90-110 degree F temps??

All of what's written in that article makes perfect sense if the air flow can get to you. I, like others here, have found that mesh gear and a cooling vest works pretty well in the zone behind the RT fairing (my experience with it being in the southwest in temps up to 116 degrees).

Better still, How many miles does the Admiral have riding a motorcycle with a big fairing and windscreen in 90-110 degree F temps??

All of what's written in that article makes perfect sense if the air flow can get to you. I, like others here, have found that mesh gear and a cooling vest works pretty well in the zone behind the RT fairing (my experience with it being in the southwest in temps up to 116 degrees).

Cooling heat out long sleeve, cooling vest and mesh jacket works for me in temps from mid 90's to 115 degrees on the 1200GS or the GT. The shirt needs rewetting ever 1-1.5 hours while the vest last 3 hours./ :thumb

Never understood black as a summer gear color?

I wear all tinfoil, I mean silver. It is hard to find good gear in silver. I even bought my Aerostitch in Gray instead of black.

I never understood black as summer riding gear either.

I ride a Harley too. Pretty much all their mesh jackets are black. I don't understand it!:banghead

All my mesh is silver/gray. I bought a Tour Master mesh jacket a couple years ago, apparently I was not thinking straight because the tops of the arms and shoulders are black, and I can certainly feel the heat coming off the black. I wore it a couple times and then bought a First Gear jacket that has very little black on it, it is a cooler jacket.

My wife and I bought helmets this spring. Not a big fan of white, but HJC had silver, so that it what we bought. After wearing black helmets for years I am curious to see how much difference they make.

Black has been the go too awhile:D How about some fine Wool?

image.jpeg
"I'll be your Huckleberry"

Have had grey pants and black pants...all can be hot at some point, but my gray ones got really not gray. My yellow hi-viz I wore to Canada and back was never the same...but every spot has a story.
I'm the guy who gets mustard on my best white shirt within an hour:brad

But then Ben has 'stitch deerskin:laugh
image.jpeg

Never understood black as a summer gear color?

I wear all tinfoil, I mean silver. It is hard to find good gear in silver. I even bought my Aerostitch in Gray instead of black. Why I wont buy MotoPort as it is black and the yellow fades to black.

And since I do ride a GS there is a difference of how much air and where I get hit with it on the GS versus the RT.

Those jugs are still sitting there shaking and baking you in traffic though just like a RT.

Cooling vest and humidity? NOT going to work. You can not evaporate water if the air is as saturated or more so then what it is being blown over.

Here in the Eastern USA we can not use Evaporative Coolers or Swamp Coolers because of our humidity. You need dry warm/hot air. If you have doubt look it up. A cooling vest here in PA when the humidity is 75% and it is 95 degrees a cooling vest is just hot condensation hanging on your body.

"Evaporation – The process of conversion of liquid water into vapor form is called evaporation. It occurs constantly in nature as water from water bodies like lakes and rivers vaporize and become part of the atmosphere. There are many conditions that govern the amount of evaporation that occurs in a given location. It is dependent on the amount of water present, wind, the temperature, and the amount of water vapor that is already present in the air".

"Relative Humidity – The amount of water vapor in a given volume of air divided by the amount of air in that volume is called humidity. It depends on the temperature as higher temperature can increase the rate of evaporation and thus the amount of water vapor in the air. At a given temperature, there is a maximum amount of water vapor that air can hold and when the maximum capacity is reached the process of condensation begins".

Love Science.

Not sure where you came up with the statement on Motoport. My Motoport gear is very close in color to my Aerostich light grey R3. I do agree that black is much hotter in the summer.

I don't agree that evaporative vests don't work in "high humidity". If you love science, read this. Your east coast humidity isn't any worse, and likely not as bad as we have here in parts of Texas, Louisiana. Even when humidity is high, there is still room for evaporation. Rarely will you see humidity in the 90% range mid day. Like the link proves, moving air makes evaporation of water happen. Simple as that. They work, and they work quite well in humid environments as long as you are moving. Well enough that many would be surprised at how effective they are at keeping core temps down.

Sorry you don't get the science. My evaporative vest helps out a LOT in high humidity and low humidity too. I ride an RT with a larger than stock screen. I don't have to go fast to feel the effect.

You also don't believe Motoport gear is grey.

Be happy and ride safe.

t_zpsnxfgxr79.jpg

I live in North East Texas. I have 3 riding suites, Darien, Kevlar stretch Motorport Ultra, Motorport Air Mesh Kevlar Ultra each of them is black. I find heat doesn't transfer into the suites. When riding in the Rockies (low humility) a cooling vest in the Kevlar stretch is best best but for overall riding in the summer months I prefer the Air Mesh. The Air Mesh living in North Texas is king. I find a cooling vest in high humidity is just a damp and mess. You ride with the set up and gear of your choice.

Enjoy the ride and be safe,

Jay

I live in North East Texas. I have 3 riding suites, Darien, Kevlar stretch Motorport Ultra, Motorport Air Mesh Kevlar Ultra each of them is black. I find heat doesn't transfer into the suites. When riding in the Rockies (low humility) a cooling vest in the Kevlar stretch is best best but for overall riding in the summer months I prefer the Air Mesh. The Air Mesh living in North Texas is king. I find a cooling vest in high humidity is just a damp and mess. You ride with the set up and gear of your choice.

Enjoy the ride and be safe,

Jay

Jay, I am curious now. Are you using the Motoport Air Mesh behind the fairing and windshield of the RT?

I don't mind making the investment, but short of having an opportunity to put one on myself, relying on the experience of other riders is all there is. So I'm interested to get your input. Would you be open to a phone call? Don't want to take it offline and deny others the benefit of getting more details, but I do have a number of questions.

I am sure Jay is willing to help.

But I have the Motoport Mesh Kevlar two piece suit in grey. I have run an evaporative vest under the jacket thousands of miles. I have one of my Quiet Ride windshields on a 2104 RT. Exactly what you are asking about.....

Jay, I am curious now. Are you using the Motoport Air Mesh behind the fairing and windshield of the RT?

I don't mind making the investment, but short of having an opportunity to put one on myself, relying on the experience of other riders is all there is. So I'm interested to get your input. Would you be open to a phone call? Don't want to take it offline and deny others the benefit of getting more details, but I do have a number of questions.

Happy to talk or even meet, I see you live in North Texas too. I'm heading out to the National rally in a day are you going? I ride a 2014 R1200RT, with the Quit Ride medium height. Like I said I have both Kevlar suites, the air mesh and the stretch Kevlar they are 2 piece suits. Yes it's an investment but worth it if you are happy with the fit. They fit more like the Michelin Tire Man's outfit. I had a Aerostich Roadcrafter suite but it was to form fitting for me - switched to the Darien. My stretch Kevlar has about 100,000 sMiles, it's like an old friend to me but I don't currently ride with it since I got the Darien. The Darien is waterproof, no need to deal with liners for the winter and cooler months, the summer Air Mesh. We can take this off line, I'm happy to let you try my gear if we can meet up. FYI- I'm 6' foot with about a 33-34 inseam, and a 34-35 waist.

Jay

Happy to talk or even meet, I see you live in North Texas too. I'm heading out to the National rally in a day are you going? I ride a 2014 R1200RT, with the Quit Ride medium height. Like I said I have both Kevlar suites, the air mesh and the stretch Kevlar they are 2 piece suits. Yes it's an investment but worth it if you are happy with the fit. They fit more like the Michelin Tire Man's outfit. I had a Aerostich Roadcrafter suite but it was to form fitting for me - switched to the Darien. My stretch Kevlar has about 100,000 sMiles, it's like an old friend to me but I don't currently ride with it since I got the Darien. The Darien is waterproof, no need to deal with liners for the winter and cooler months, the summer Air Mesh. We can take this off line, I'm happy to let you try my gear if we can meet up. FYI- I'm 6' foot with about a 33-34 inseam, and a 34-35 waist.

Jay

Back